Greetings from...

IMG_6191IMG_6296IMG_6320IMG_6301IMG_6228IMG_6262IMG_6260DOUBLED, foliage is close to peak now, with some trees already dropping leaves. Stunning to see some of the colours; it's what we came here for. Didn't even mind the rain.

FLWINO, went to top of Cadillac Mountain but unfortunately the very top was sitting in a cloud, so where there should have been spectacular views of Bar Harbour, Frenchman Bay, the Park, Beehive, etc. it was mostly just grey.  Got a few good shots from further down, though. Really a spectacular spot, a national treasure for America.

I understand that Acadian National Park gets over 3 million visitors annually.  Makes total sense to me.

Attachments

Photos (7)
seaquam posted:

DOUBLED, foliage is close to peak now, with some trees already dropping leaves. Stunning to see some of the colours; it's what we came here for. Didn't even mind the rain.

FLWINO, went to top of Cadillac Mountain but unfortunately the very top was sitting in a cloud, so where there should have been spectacular views of Bar Harbour, Frenchman Bay, the Park, Beehive, etc. it was mostly just grey.  Got a few good shots from further down, though. Really a spectacular spot, a national treasure for America.

I understand that Acadian National Park gets over 3 million visitors annually.  Makes total sense to me.

FYI, we spend nearly an hour today driving around the Gatineau Hills, starting about 15 minutes from home (though the colours in our own backyard are also spectacular).  If anyone wants to see fall colours, we got 'em too!

Amtrak train, NYC to DC.

Almost missed the train after unavoidable delays disembarking. Was pretty sure we wouldn’t make it, but a New York cabbie who said she “don’t mind a challenge” got us from Pier 90 to Penn Station in 11 minutes in traffic. It was like something out of a movie. A conductor saw us running down the escalator and held the train for a few seconds so we could board.😀

I made it worth the driver’s efforts, despite us being scared a couple of times. And best of all, I have a story to tell now that I won’t have to embellish at all.😁

About to leave Washington DC.

what a great city for tourists! Tons of history , art, great restaurants, easy to walk, easy to cab. PurpleHaze, Festiva, TB helped to make our visit pretty special, too.

We’ll be coming back here in the near future. Lots more to see and do.

italianwino posted:

Billhike

About 25 miles south of Florence is an excellent restaurant. If you get the chance you should go to Osteria di Passagnano. 

IW

Been many times and agree. I have never not had a wonderful meal there, and so close to our favorite villa. 

Monterosso al Mare. The weather is looking to be complete crap for the three nights we are here. But being our fifth anniversary, we’ll make do. The rain held off this afternoon for a nice stroll. After a week in Florence with ten other friends, I’m in Italy another week with my wife. Life not sucking, defined.

billhike posted:

Monterosso al Mare. The weather is looking to be complete crap for the three nights we are here. But being our fifth anniversary, we’ll make do. The rain held off this afternoon for a nice stroll. After a week in Florence with ten other friends, I’m in Italy another week with my wife. Life not sucking, defined.

Bill, if you haven't already made supper plans tonight or you have another night there you will REALLY want to try l'Ancora della Tortuga restaurant. Greatest combination of good view, incredible view and value ever, and we've had dozens of meals that offered all three. Al fresco dining high above the sea AND you can bring your own wine! 

bman posted:
billhike posted:

Bill, if you haven't already made supper plans tonight or you have another night there you will REALLY want to try l'Ancora della Tortuga restaurant. Greatest combination of good view, incredible view and value ever, and we've had dozens of meals that offered all three. Al fresco dining high above the sea AND you can bring your own wine! 

A beautiful view, indeed. 

billhike posted:

Noted gents, and thank you both. It appears they are open on Sunday, so we’ll see if we can get there. Obviously seafood heavy food in this region, which she doesn’t care for. But I’m sure they have bread and salad. 

My wife isn't big on most seafood either but there are lots of meat and non-seafood options too.  Here is the website with menue and photos:  

https://www.ristorantetortuga.it/en-gb/home

Also, you will likely want to make a reservation!

Just back from our Atlantic crossing.  Malaga to San Juan with stops in Tenerife and Virgin Gorda BVI.  Lots of time to do nothing.  Just what the doctor ordered given the year we have had

66 passengers and 95 crew.  Needless to say our glasses were rarely empty

bman posted:
billhike posted:

Noted gents, and thank you both. It appears they are open on Sunday, so we’ll see if we can get there. Obviously seafood heavy food in this region, which she doesn’t care for. But I’m sure they have bread and salad. 

My wife isn't big on most seafood either but there are lots of meat and non-seafood options too.  Here is the website with menue and photos:  

https://www.ristorantetortuga.it/en-gb/home

Also, you will likely want to make a reservation!

Reservations made for tonight.

billhike posted:

Tortuga in Monterosso was great, and a fantastic value. 7 item tasting menu for me, veggie torte and a pork entree for my wife. Bottle of NV Taittinger, 375 of a local Sangiovese-based red, shared dessert and espresso for me. 152 euro total. 

Happy to hear you enjoyed it!  Did you eat al fresco or inside in the restaurant?

bman posted:
billhike posted:

Tortuga in Monterosso was great, and a fantastic value. 7 item tasting menu for me, veggie torte and a pork entree for my wife. Bottle of NV Taittinger, 375 of a local Sangiovese-based red, shared dessert and espresso for me. 152 euro total. 

Happy to hear you enjoyed it!  Did you eat al fresco or inside in the restaurant?

Inside. Totally dark outside with the time change and sea was really rough today. Italy is in a bad weather pattern right now. Hiking trails and boat tours are a no-go. Crashing waves could still be heard though, especially in the washroom. 

jcocktosten posted:

Al Pozo was really good as well when we went many years ago at WIMLs suggestion 

Seemed a very popular place when we arrived in town. Had thought of going there last night but everything was shut down and unfortunately, Al Pozzo had a hose from inside draining water into the street most of the day.

wineart 2 posted:

Milan itself is a pain in the ass! 

I have to say, after a couple of days strolling around Milan is a pretty ugly city. While there are a few architectural gems and the very interesting monumental cemetery, overall it feels cold and industrial. 

billhike posted:
wineart 2 posted:

I have to say, after a couple of days strolling around Milan is a pretty ugly city. While there are a few architectural gems and the very interesting monumental cemetery, overall it feels cold and industrial. 

We were there for 4 nights a few summers ago and ended spending 2 of our 3 days at Lake Como!

bman posted:
billhike posted:
wineart 2 posted:

We were there for 4 nights a few summers ago and ended spending 2 of our 3 days at Lake Como!

We had a second lake day planned, but a combo of weather and illness had us laying low more than anticipated.

billhike posted:
bman posted:
billhike posted:
wineart 2 posted:

We had a second lake day planned, but a combo of weather and illness had us laying low more than anticipated.

Milan, go see the Last Supper painting, then get to Lake Como ASAP! 

Add Reply

Likes (0)