thistlintom posted:

Tampa and waiting.  Flight delayed yesterday, had to rebook to today.  Flight delayed for hours, had to rebook, and the rebooked flight is delayed.  Not sure if I will ever get out of here.  I think I am in the Hotel California 

Bet it is American Airlines.  They are having union issues. [no crew, no pilot, mech issues etc  Many friends of mine got hung up in DFW last week.  Lucky me I flew Delta

csm posted:
flwino posted:
csm posted:

Canandaigua, NY. Off to the lake for an early start to the long weekend

My old home town

Very nice part of the world!

One of our favourite parts of the world to visit too, though we tend to go to the southern end of the area. We go at least once a year.  Ithaca is probably our favourite home base.  

flwino posted:
thistlintom posted:

Tampa and waiting.  Flight delayed yesterday, had to rebook to today.  Flight delayed for hours, had to rebook, and the rebooked flight is delayed.  Not sure if I will ever get out of here.  I think I am in the Hotel California 

Bet it is American Airlines.  They are having union issues. [no crew, no pilot, mech issues etc  Many friends of mine got hung up in DFW last week.  Lucky me I flew Delta

Actually it was United.  It was all due to weather delays at airports that the planes were coming from.  Didn't leave Tampa till 5:00pm when I was supposed to leave at 11:00.  Had to rebook flights and I didn't get back home in Utah until 11:00 pm mountain time.  Also, my bag didn't make my flight, so it needs to be delivered to me.  Just bad luck.

bman posted:
csm posted:
flwino posted:
csm posted:

Canandaigua, NY. Off to the lake for an early start to the long weekend

My old home town

Very nice part of the world!

One of our favourite parts of the world to visit too, though we tend to go to the southern end of the area. We go at least once a year.  Ithaca is probably our favourite home base.  

The best place is "The Glen".  whoops this is a wine forum.

bman posted:
flwino posted:

If you mean Watkins Glen, we've visited a couple of times.  Love the water falls.  If you mean somewhere else, do tell!

I have a racing license.  Also a race official for SCCA, F1, And CART [Indy Cars]

flwino posted:
bman posted:
flwino posted:

If you mean Watkins Glen, we've visited a couple of times.  Love the water falls.  If you mean somewhere else, do tell!

I have a racing license.  Also a race official for SCCA, F1, And CART [Indy Cars]

We were never there when races were happening.  Another time, perhaps.

For those of you about to go to Europe, they are having a huge heat wave.  https://www.wunderground.com/c...shing-June-Heat-Wave

This will certainly cause deaths and other lesser issues. I was in France in May-June of 2003 when a heat wave was just starting. Wasn't bad for us.  But, many people died over the next few months.

Obviously, this will have an effect on the grapes as well, though the human toll is much more important.

Already knew this.   Leaving Tuesday with a group of 12 headed to Spain.  I circulated this to our group the other day for them to pack accordingly.

Fortunately the only place on our itinerary at the moment that might get a bit hot is La Rioja of all places.  Even though it is at some elevation and most places do not even have A/C we're expecting mid-90s while there.  Forecast for San Sebastian, Grattalops and Barcelona all look dang near perfect.  Especially San Sebastian.

wineismylife posted:

Already knew this.   Leaving Tuesday with a group of 12 headed to Spain.  I circulated this to our group the other day for them to pack accordingly.

Fortunately the only place on our itinerary at the moment that might get a bit hot is La Rioja of all places.  Even though it is at some elevation and most places do not even have A/C we're expecting mid-90s while there.  Forecast for San Sebastian, Grattalops and Barcelona all look dang near perfect.  Especially San Sebastian.

Have a great trip. San Sebastian is fantastic.  More Michelin starred restaurants per square inch than anywhere.

We're actually not doing the whole "this place has this many stars" thing on this trip.  We're focusing on some lesser known and more casual kind of places. 

Sunday night most places are closed but the lovely prix fixe Basque restaurant La Muralla is open and taking reservations on Sunday evening so that's where we start on day of arrival. 

Monday night is Pinxtos Crawl starting at Anthony Bourdain's favorite tapa bar Bar Iturrioz. We'll branch out from there depending on who is open on a Monday (many close).

Then to wrap up on our final night Tuesday night is up and comer Biarritz (formerly Narru).  A Basque restaurant I understand it is Michelin single star quality at prix fixe prices.  Hasn't even been around a year barely.  We'll see.

doubled posted:
bman posted:

Gettysburg PA

Nice.  I enjoyed  listening to the audio of the battles that took place while slowly driving through it.

That's what we did.  It required carefully looking out for the relevant directions but they were everywhere.  Whoever set up that program got it 100% right, very helpful to Canadians who didn't study the battle in school.  I've never seen so many monuments to one event (albeit a 4 day event involving tens of thousands of people) in one place.  There must have been at least 300 of them.

bman posted:
doubled posted:
bman posted:

Gettysburg PA

Nice.  I enjoyed  listening to the audio of the battles that took place while slowly driving through it.

That's what we did.  It required carefully looking out for the relevant directions but they were everywhere.  Whoever set up that program got it 100% right, very helpful to Canadians who didn't study the battle in school.  I've never seen so many monuments to one event (albeit a 4 day event involving tens of thousands of people) in one place.  There must have been at least 300 of them.

We lost more folks in this battle that all the other wars we fought combined [or the Civil war itself]  

wineart 2 posted:
flwino posted:
thistlintom posted:

Bruges, Belgium.  Good beer

Waffles and Chocolate & Mussels

Without a doubt the finest beer in the world. A lovely village. Ghent is also lovely.

We actually liked Ghent better only because the Bruges crowds were impossible. 

thistlintom posted:

Made it to Ghent today, unfortunately it was a bit busy as there is a festival going on.  Got our visit done before the rain started.  Fun visit, but enjoy Bruges more.

We have never visited during peak season, but would also pick Bruges if only visiting one. 

Flew into Glasgow on Friday.  Went inside the Hunterian Art Gallery and Zoology Museum inside Glasgow University.  Beautiful interior.  

Visited Stirling Castle on Saturday.  Lovely gardens.  

National Cathedal and a Sunday roast planned for today.

Visited the Van Gogh museum which is really good, has a lot of his paintings and some of those who he respected.  One part of exhibit showed how some of paint has faded, which makes you wonder about what many older paintings looked like when they were originally painted.  The sunflowers he painted were much more vibrant than now

Had risjttafel at Srikandi in Amsterdam near the museums.  Really enjoyed it, only a few dishes were so so(good but unexciting).  Thanks for the recommendation.  Onto the cruise ship to make our way to St Petersburg starting tomorrow.  There are lots of people and bikes in Amsterdam!

jcocktosten posted:
thistlintom posted:

Took over three hours to get to the North Sea.  Lot of time in a channel and narrow canal before going thru sea locks.  Didn’t expect that.

Yes leaving Amsterdam takes a long time

Also part of hating to leave

thistlintom posted:
doubled posted:

Isle of Mull, Scotland 

Very nice

visited Skagen, small port town at the northern point of Denmark.  Not too much to see

We spent a month in Northern Europe last summer, including a week in Denmark. After planning our time there, we decided to skip Skagen. Other than seeing the North Sea and Baltic Sea meet, there didn't seem to be enough to warrant the ride.

board-o posted:
thistlintom posted:
doubled posted:

Isle of Mull, Scotland 

Very nice

visited Skagen, small port town at the northern point of Denmark.  Not too much to see

We spent a month in Northern Europe last summer, including a week in Denmark. After planning our time there, we decided to skip Skagen. Other than seeing the North Sea and Baltic Sea meet, there didn't seem to be enough to warrant the ride.

Agree, I think that it’s location is the key reason for cruises to stop there. Otherwise it is a long time from Amsterdam to Tallin

robsutherland posted:

Air Canada signature suite. AC has really upped their game. Like seriously upped their game. 

Next stop Tel Aviv! 

I spent four weeks working there years ago. Who knew there were so many good wines there?  Of course we rarely see any of those here.....:-( 

bman posted:
robsutherland posted:

Air Canada signature suite. AC has really upped their game. Like seriously upped their game. 

Next stop Tel Aviv! 

I spent four weeks working there years ago. Who knew there were so many good wines there?  Of course we rarely see any of those here.....:-( 

Rob, safe travels and enjoy.

We thoroughly enjoyed Tel Aviv. We found it to be a young, vibrant and smart city in every way. Like Bob, we also enjoyed the food/wine scene.

doubled posted:

Paris, Jerusalem, Kyoto - very nice.  Only been to Paris.

Btw, you can all post pics on this site now.  Just sayin'.

I'll try to post some from Kyoto.  The only problems are (1) I'm too lame to figure it out and (2) there are just too many damn great scenes.  Kyoto is not my most favorite city in Japan (Kobe is up there), but great nonetheless.  Amazing temples, shrines, gardens, markets.  The only downside has been the weather:  90-95F for the past week.

racer117 posted:

Reims, France.  They have a stunning cathedral here and.... Champagne! Tasting at Tattinger was very nice and the tasting at Ruinart was excellent. And if you love foosball,  show up early for your tasting at Ruinart.

Very cool Scott!  

irwin posted:
csm posted:

San Sebastián. 

A great place to visit.  Food is phenomenal.  If you can, go to Akalare for lunch. The view is spectacular, as is the food.  (Also rather expensive, but an experience of a lifetime)

Kokotxa for dinner last night and Arzak tonight.  Have eaten my body weight in pintxos and txakoli for lunch today.  

flwino posted:
irwin posted:

Ari: Go to Botofumerio for dinner. You won't regret it.

You got that right.  Best sea food on the planet, not a bad wine list either

Thanks guys.  We were in a group of 10 and went to Canete for tapas  3 magnums of Mas Doix Salanques.  On ship now. Had no problem with protests etc.   Didnt see any fires or riots.  Just a lot of graffiti and a number of broken windows.  

flwino posted:
racer117 posted:
flwino posted:

Have checked in 125 cars, and 125 drivers.  Work for FIA.

Intriguing. Do you go to other F1 races?

Baku, Canada, Mex and US.  Possible Barzil

Very cool.  Planning on Austin next year for a friend's 40th.  Never been to an actual F1 race before (have been in Montreal during race week) so looking forward to it. 

csm posted:
flwino posted:
racer117 posted:
flwino posted:

Very cool.  Planning on Austin next year for a friend's 40th.  Never been to an actual F1 race before (have been in Montreal during race week) so looking forward to it. 

In Paddock in RV  @COTA  Behind Ferrari

flwino posted:
csm posted:
flwino posted:
racer117 posted:
flwino posted:

In Paddock in RV  @COTA  Behind Ferrari

Welcome to our fair city!  Hope you enjoy yourself, and that the race is one to remember.  We have gone each year but my bride had foot surgery a couple weeks ago and wouldn't do well with the crowds and walking, so we'll be watching from home.

csm posted:
flwino posted:
racer117 posted:
flwino posted:

Let me know if you come - it would be nice to return the hospitality we've received from the TWC!

Cape Town. Beautiful city! We unexpectedly ended up this afternoon in a crowd at city hall welcoming home the 2019 World Rugby Champions, very emotional and incredibly loud.

Two very long flights to get here, and don’t expect I’ll fly this far again. Happy to check a couple more items off my bucket list, though. 😀

seaquam posted:

Cape Town. Beautiful city! We unexpectedly ended up this afternoon in a crowd at city hall welcoming home the 2019 World Rugby Champions, very emotional and incredibly loud.

Two very long flights to get here, and don’t expect I’ll fly this far again. Happy to check a couple more items off my bucket list, though. 😀

Loved Cape Town and South Africa.

wineismylife posted:
seaquam posted:

Loved Cape Town and South Africa.

Likewise.  Been three times.  United now has direct flights from Newark, so might be making another trip. 

Mrs H and I are in Madrid for the climate conference.  We got a fantastic Airbnb near the IFEMA.  Stocked up on groceries at the local Carrefour and scored some 2010 La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza Reserva Seleccion Especial for a mere Eur 15.80.  Black Friday special, so had to pick up 6 to get me through the next week.

billhike posted:

Munich.

A wonderful experience during the Christmas season and a town I thoroughly enjoy year round. If you have a chance, the train to Salzburg is a beautiful ride and also a wonderful place to visit during Christmas. It has a very village like feel to me. 

Enjoy and safe travels. 

wineart 2 posted:
billhike posted:

Munich.

A wonderful experience during the Christmas season and a town I thoroughly enjoy year round. If you have a chance, the train to Salzburg is a beautiful ride and also a wonderful place to visit during Christmas. It has a very village like feel to me. 

Enjoy and safe travels. 

Plus I love the central market in Salzberg.  Among other things every kind of pretzel known to man.

wineismylife posted:
wineart 2 posted:
billhike posted:

Munich.

Enjoy and safe travels. 

Plus I love the central market in Salzberg.  Among other things every kind of pretzel known to man.

Indeed and Salzberg does Christmas well. I was there during the holiday. I remember just watching the people strolling as the snow fell and everyone seemed so content. It was almost like a bygone era.

Train to Salzburg was tomorrow’s plan. However, my wife took a spill inside the Residenz Palace this afternoon and sprained her ankle pretty good. Hoping she will be ok enough to make that trek in a few days. This is “her trip” so to speak and it will really suck if she has to miss seeing things we planned - especially since the weather is fantastic, if a but unlike winter. We visited multiple Christmas markets yesterday including a medieval-themed one after dark.  Glühwein Isn’t something I’m usually interested, but I enjoyed a clay chalice of if that was set on fire! We had a nice long stroll this morning from our hotel in the city center through some nice neighborhoods leading to the English Gardens. I had to make the tourist hell stop at Hofbrau Haus despite friends telling me to skip it. The wife, not a beer drinker, got in a the spirit and downed an entire liter! She now has an excuse for klutziness. I broke an arm in Montalcino last year; perhaps we need to abstain from Europe.  

Munich is a beautiful, clean and vibrant city. I’m enjoying it so far, and like that a lot of people walk their dogs and we get to greet them. 

billhike posted:

Train to Salzburg was tomorrow’s plan. However, my wife took a spill inside the Residenz Palace this afternoon and sprained her ankle pretty good. Hoping she will be ok enough to make that trek in a few days. This is “her trip” so to speak and it will really suck if she has to miss seeing things we planned - especially since the weather is fantastic, if a but unlike winter. We visited multiple Christmas markets yesterday including a medieval-themed one after dark.  Glühwein Isn’t something I’m usually interested, but I enjoyed a clay chalice of if that was set on fire! We had a nice long stroll this morning from our hotel in the city center through some nice neighborhoods leading to the English Gardens. I had to make the tourist hell stop at Hofbrau Haus despite friends telling me to skip it. The wife, not a beer drinker, got in a the spirit and downed an entire liter! She now has an excuse for klutziness. I broke an arm in Montalcino last year; perhaps we need to abstain from Europe.  

Munich is a beautiful, clean and vibrant city. I’m enjoying it so far, and like that a lot of people walk their dogs and we get to greet them. 

Well, stay healthy!

Munich has a great airport as well. 

@billhilke Munchen has a great dog culture (as does most of Germany).  I still think most Germans prefer their dogs over their children.    It's fairly common to be dining and spot a dog under the table behaving way better than my children ever did in a restaurant growing up. 

billhike posted:

Dachau. After a sobering visit to the memorial site earlier, we are having lunch in town and are about to stroll through the Christmas market.

Was going to mention this in connection with my post about enjoying our time in Munich but did not seem the right way to express it.  

jcocktosten posted:
billhike posted:

Dachau. After a sobering visit to the memorial site earlier, we are having lunch in town and are about to stroll through the Christmas market.

Was going to mention this in connection with my post about enjoying our time in Munich but did not seem the right way to express it.  

Totally understood. I refrained from taking photos.

Add Reply

Likes (0)