St. Petersburg, Russia. Ugliest waterway entrance I've ever seen, but beautiful architecture once you're into the old city. I'm going to have vodka and caviar for lunch. I think that's what the natives do here. Smile
Windsor, NS. Small, small town about an hour from Halifax. Oh, and the prices and selection as the NSLB make the LCBO look awesome. I would imagine there will be at least a couple weeks of me not complaining about the LCBO. Maybe.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
St. Petersburg, Russia. Ugliest waterway entrance I've ever seen, but beautiful architecture once you're into the old city. I'm going to have vodka and caviar for lunch. I think that's what the natives do here. Smile


quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Caviar makes up for a lot of ugly. St. Petersburg is on our wish list for next summer.


I loved St. Petersburg when I was there about 10 yr ago. Agree with Seaquam about the architecture. And there's a shabbiness that I like...sort of like tarnished silver. The beauty is there to be seen, but it needs some polishing. On the other hand, the "tarnish" is beautiful in its own way. There are some wonderful gardens there, too.
quote:
Originally posted by Don in KS:
Board-O, how do you keep your wine cool on a driving trip such as this? Just a regular cooler?


Just saw this. We travel with the wine in a styrofoam shipper which insulates well. When the wine is in the car, it's seatbelted in the back seat with the air conditioning on. As soon as we get to a hotel, we put the wine in the airconditioned room. If we're travelling and leave the car for a half hour or an hour, we lave the windows open a drop and try to park in the shade. Even on a hot day, after an hour, the wine is still cool to the touch in the sealed styrofoam shipper.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by Don in KS:
Board-O, how do you keep your wine cool on a driving trip such as this? Just a regular cooler?


Just saw this. We travel with the wine in a styrofoam shipper which insulates well. When the wine is in the car, it's seatbelted in the back seat with the air conditioning on. As soon as we get to a hotel, we put the wine in the airconditioned room. If we're travelling and leave the car for a half hour or an hour, we lave the windows open a drop and try to park in the shade. Even on a hot day, after an hour, the wine is still cool to the touch in the sealed styrofoam shipper.


Eek Big Grin Big Grin ROTFFLMAOWTSDMC. You gotta be kidding me. While you will no doubt accuse me of following you, I will honestly say I would laugh at anyone who posted that. That is beyond over the top obsession. The imagery that conjures up is hilarious. You need wine that badly? Ever heard the expression, When in Rome do as the Romans do? Wine geek doesn't even begin to describe that behaviour.
Given the crap you drink, I can understand you feeling that way. It's no trouble for us, but then again, we don't drink the swill you do.

Sober up.
quote:
Originally posted by dannyk8232:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
Napa, CA.


Me, too.

Joe, did I meet you at Randy's tasting and not even realize it?


Actually, we did meet albeit it briefly and we didn't get to talk much.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by dannyk8232:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
Napa, CA.


Me, too.

Joe, did I meet you at Randy's tasting and not even realize it?


Actually, we did meet albeit it briefly and we didn't get to talk much.


Bummer!
California ....

8/16-8/21: SF. Highlights include dinner at Fleur de Lys, cocktails at Bourbon & Branch, a free walking tour of Nob Hill by the folks from SF City Guides.

8/21-8/25: Carmel/Big Sur. Highlights so far include dinner at Passionfish and Pacific's Edge and watching sea otters break open clams and oysters at Point Lobos State park.

8/25-8/31: Napa/Sonoma wine country.
...the MGM Grand in sunny (hot) Las Vegas.

I'm here, with my lovely wife, for a conference. However, we will be able to relax a bit and enjoy some time without our children.

Today: Some conference time, then out to the pool.

Tomorrow night: Dinner at Gonzalez y Gonzalez then a show (Zumanity)

Thursday night: Dinner at SEABLUE.

P.S. Nine Fine Irishmen is a very cool bar. Cool
Salem, Oregon this AM (watching Wisconsin vs. Minnesota on ESPN), then Eugene, Oregon this afternoon to watch the Oregon/Cal game at Autzen this evening.
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
Salem, Oregon this AM (watching Wisconsin vs. Minnesota on ESPN), then Eugene, Oregon this afternoon to watch the Oregon/Cal game at Autzen this evening.


Get thee to a winery!
The south of France! Wife and I made our way to Montpellier today after a couple of nights in beautiful Bonnieux. Have also spent some time in Cannes, Avignon and Chateauneuf du Page (tasting at Beaucastel and la Barroche). Lots of eating, drinking, walking, etc. Will give a full report when I get back!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
Salem, Oregon this AM (watching Wisconsin vs. Minnesota on ESPN), then Eugene, Oregon this afternoon to watch the Oregon/Cal game at Autzen this evening.


Get thee to a winery!


I did, both my brother and I did! On Friday we visited the following:

Adelsheim, Bergstrom, Penner-Ash, Carlton Winemakers Studio, Scott Paul, Domaine Serene, and Maresh Red Barn. Wanted to visit a couple other places that we'd been to last year (such as Domaine Drouhin and Archery Summit), but they were either closed for special occasions or we simply got there too late. Awesome dinner at Tina's in Dundee that night.

On Sunday, we made it a leisurely drive back to Portland from Eugene and visited a few other wineries en route:

Van Duzer, St Innocent, Bethel Heights, Cristom, Witness Tree, and Maysara.

I am admittedly very much a novice when it comes to Pinot Noir (which is pretty much all we tasted), but I found the 2007's to be a step down quality-wise from the 2006's (if that makes any sense). Fortunately, many of the wineries, while promoting their '07's, still had a wide variety of the 2006's available for tasting and purchasing. I did a lot of tasting (emphasis on "lot" Big Grin ), but showed remarkable restraint in the purchasing area, even though I was tempted to buy quite a bit of the '06's that I had tried.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
St. John's, Newfoundland. Then, back to Paradise. 12,000 miles in 3 days Eek

Holy Crap! When you get off the island you really go for the other end of the spectrum! Eek
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
St. John's, Newfoundland. Then, back to Paradise. 12,000 miles in 3 days Eek

Holy Crap! When you get off the island you really go for the other end of the spectrum! Eek


I won't be doing that again for a while! But I must say that that part of the continent is pretty amazing...gorgeous landscape. And Cape Spear is pretty special.
Seattle.

Just got back from the Oregon/Washington game (courtesy of my boss and his wife) and enjoyed the *sswhupping the Ducks put on the Huskies!

Time to enjoy another night of good Pinot Noir.
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
Fresno!

So sorry about that. Will you be visiting Yosemite while in the area?


LOL! I often do when I visit here (I have grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins here) but unfortunately not on this trip. Just here for a couple of days to help the grandparents, who have aged quickly in the past year and aren't doing so well.
SoCal. Back home for the month of November for a wedding, board meetings and thanksgiving with the family. Will miss London, but it’s good to be home for a little while.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
NYC. Many thanks to the Sofitel for the complimentary upgrade to a suite. Cool


Lucky ba$tard. Enjoy! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Park Slope - Brooklyn NYC!


Uh oh! GA and Tbird on the loose tonight!!!
I'm his adult supervision.
god help us all... Razz

quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Park Slope - Brooklyn NYC!


Uh oh! GA and Tbird on the loose tonight!!!
I'm his adult supervision.
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Park Slope - Brooklyn NYC!


Uh oh! GA and Tbird on the loose tonight!!!
I'm his adult supervision.


Weren't you his adult supervision in Seattle, too?!?!?! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Park Slope - Brooklyn NYC!


Uh oh! GA and Tbird on the loose tonight!!!


Oh, dear.............................
Bring the camera
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
Maui!

Big Grin


Lucky you! Enjoy!


I did! Just got back and going through my normal post-Maui depression. Hawaii might be my favorite place on earth.

Haggis...just a quick layover in the Honolulu airport this time, but we'll be back! Hopefully we can get together next time...
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
Maui!

Big Grin


Lucky you! Enjoy!


I did! Just got back and going through my normal post-Maui depression. Hawaii might be my favorite place on earth.

Haggis...just a quick layover in the Honolulu airport this time, but we'll be back! Hopefully we can get together next time...


I usually start getting depressed before boarding the plane home.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
Maui!

Big Grin


Lucky you! Enjoy!


I did! Just got back and going through my normal post-Maui depression. Hawaii might be my favorite place on earth.

Haggis...just a quick layover in the Honolulu airport this time, but we'll be back! Hopefully we can get together next time...


I usually start getting depressed before boarding the plane home.


Funny you say that...I texted a friend of mine while I was waiting to board the plane in Kahalui telling him my normal depression was setting in. That's okay though, it usually passes in 2-3 weeks.
I remember one time in particular we were on Oahu in one of the parks up high on one of the mountainsides there and PURPLE says "what's wrong?". You guessed it. We were boarding the plane home later that night. LOL! To have such problems!
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
Maui!

Big Grin


Lucky you! Enjoy!


I did! Just got back and going through my normal post-Maui depression. Hawaii might be my favorite place on earth.

Haggis...just a quick layover in the Honolulu airport this time, but we'll be back! Hopefully we can get together next time...


That would be great! Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Warm and sunny Phoenix...where is my sunscreen? Cool

Save it for Cabo!


Ha... I forgot which thread we were talking in. Red Face

Golf this week, and fishing next week.

Man, I'm getting tired already! Cool
Guangzhou, China. The place isn't all that bad. My hotel has both a wine bar and a cigar and Champagne bar. Headed to the latter in a few minutes!
Have a great trip, snipes. Someday I hope to get there.

By the way, a cigar is a great way to ruin a glass of Champagne.
Heading out early in the morning for some serious fishing, followed each day by dinner and wine with good friends.

We shipped two cases of what we hope will be stellar wines out there that are now resting in a cellar.

When we did this two years ago, the 1967 d'Yquem stole the show with this group of dear friends. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Heading out early in the morning for some serious fishing, followed each day by dinner and wine with good friends.

We shipped two cases of what we hope will be stellar wines out there that are now resting in a cellar.

When we did this two years ago, the 1967 d'Yquem stole the show with this group of dear friends. Cool


P.S. may the Marlin and Tuna be active for the next several days.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
Carmel, CA Beautiful weather


Golf perhaps? Cool


Husband is golfing, I'm shopping and doing a bit of wine tasting. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Greetings from... Paradise Razz


Have a great time in Italy haggis.

Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by justme:


and doing a bit of wine tasting. Smile


We hired a driver to take us all around one day, and had a lot of fun.

Any wine/wines standout?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Greetings from... Paradise Razz


Have a great time in Italy haggis.


Confused I wish! But where I am will do nicely.
Will be in Guatemala Monday on a business trip to the Peten to buy some lumber. Will be having Zacapa 23 year old rum for a night cap for the next week. Cool
As a promise to keep in touch on this site:

Melbourne, VIC, Australia. Here on business but already met up with Aussie the gas man.
Possibly but situation has changed in the last year. You never know, I could get back there but it's not on the horizon.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×