Almost halfway through traversing the Panama Canal now, and it is far different from how I had imagined it. A large part of it is lake, not just the concrete-lined canal I'd expected. Beautiful, lush jungle scenery, as well as lots of shipping machinery spread throughout. Amazing to consider how difficult it was to build this 100 years ago.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Almost halfway through traversing the Panama Canal now, and it is far different from how I had imagined it. A large part of it is lake, not just the concrete-lined canal I'd expected. Beautiful, lush jungle scenery, as well as lots of shipping machinery spread throughout. Amazing to consider how difficult it was to build this 100 years ago.


Did you start at Colon or the Miraflores Locks end? If you get a night in Panama City, there are several great seafood restaurants on the end of the curve of the bay where you can sit on the seaside with great food and a killer view of the downtown lights and skyline.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Almost halfway through traversing the Panama Canal now, and it is far different from how I had imagined it. A large part of it is lake, not just the concrete-lined canal I'd expected. Beautiful, lush jungle scenery, as well as lots of shipping machinery spread throughout. Amazing to consider how difficult it was to build this 100 years ago.


Did you start at Colon or the Miraflores Locks end? If you get a night in Panama City, there are several great seafood restaurants on the end of the curve of the bay where you can sit on the seaside with great food and a killer view of the downtown lights and skyline.


Started at Colon, but we did not stop in Panama City. Next stop is a Costa Rica, for a 5-mile high-altitude rope bridge excursion above the jungle. We'll find out there once and for all whether I really am a swinger, or not. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Almost halfway through traversing the Panama Canal now, and it is far different from how I had imagined it. A large part of it is lake, not just the concrete-lined canal I'd expected. Beautiful, lush jungle scenery, as well as lots of shipping machinery spread throughout. Amazing to consider how difficult it was to build this 100 years ago.


Did you start at Colon or the Miraflores Locks end? If you get a night in Panama City, there are several great seafood restaurants on the end of the curve of the bay where you can sit on the seaside with great food and a killer view of the downtown lights and skyline.


Started at Colon, but we did not stop in Panama City. Next stop is a Costa Rica, for a 5-mile high-altitude rope bridge excursion above the jungle. We'll find out there once and for all whether I really am a swinger, or not. Smile


Hope you like it better than did we! Though we always said it was a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there!
Greetings from Lynah Rink at Cornell where Big Red knocked off Harvard 3-2, scoring the winning goal with 40 sec left in the 3rd period. I'm used to laid back Hawaii, so moving here, and experiencing this rabid hockey scene is amazing. Ok, not the typical kind of post to this thread, but, eh.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Greetings from Lynah Rink at Cornell where Big Red knocked off Harvard 3-2, scoring the winning goal with 40 sec left in the 3rd period. I'm used to laid back Hawaii, so moving here, and experiencing this rabid hockey scene is amazing. Ok, not the typical kind of post to this thread, but, eh.


Moved to Ithaca from Hawaii? Really??!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Greetings from Lynah Rink at Cornell where Big Red knocked off Harvard 3-2, scoring the winning goal with 40 sec left in the 3rd period. I'm used to laid back Hawaii, so moving here, and experiencing this rabid hockey scene is amazing. Ok, not the typical kind of post to this thread, but, eh.


Moved to Ithaca from Hawaii? Really??!


Yeah, true! Big lifestyle change! But I love it, and Cornell gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Greetings from Lynah Rink at Cornell where Big Red knocked off Harvard 3-2, scoring the winning goal with 40 sec left in the 3rd period. I'm used to laid back Hawaii, so moving here, and experiencing this rabid hockey scene is amazing. Ok, not the typical kind of post to this thread, but, eh.


Moved to Ithaca from Hawaii? Really??!


Yeah, true! Big lifestyle change! But I love it, and Cornell gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.


We were just there a few months ago and plan to return to the area this summer. It's a short drive and a nice weekend away from here!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Greetings from Lynah Rink at Cornell where Big Red knocked off Harvard 3-2, scoring the winning goal with 40 sec left in the 3rd period. I'm used to laid back Hawaii, so moving here, and experiencing this rabid hockey scene is amazing. Ok, not the typical kind of post to this thread, but, eh.


Moved to Ithaca from Hawaii? Really??!


Yeah, true! Big lifestyle change! But I love it, and Cornell gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.


We were just there a few months ago and plan to return to the area this summer. It's a short drive and a nice weekend away from here!



Let me know when you're coming. Can put together an offline.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Greetings from Lynah Rink at Cornell where Big Red knocked off Harvard 3-2, scoring the winning goal with 40 sec left in the 3rd period. I'm used to laid back Hawaii, so moving here, and experiencing this rabid hockey scene is amazing. Ok, not the typical kind of post to this thread, but, eh.


Moved to Ithaca from Hawaii? Really??!


Yeah, true! Big lifestyle change! But I love it, and Cornell gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.


We were just there a few months ago and plan to return to the area this summer. It's a short drive and a nice weekend away from here!



Let me know when you're coming. Can put together an offline.


It won't be for a while but you will know when we do -- ditto for you, Board-O! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I hope to see both of you in the NYC area sometime soon.


I will be in NYC several times this year. I'll let you know when.


We're actually off to Vegas in March for our anniversary, so no Florida this winter, but hope to do some kind of holiday this summer, quite possibly a road trip to the NYC area. Trouble is the Canadian dollar is now trading just about 80cents to the US, which adds nearly 25% to an American holiday! Frown Spit
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Trouble is the Canadian dollar is now trading just about 80cents to the US, which adds nearly 25% to an American holiday! Frown Spit

The drop in gas doesn't help offset the cost of a trip to NYC?


Indeed, which is why we'd be looking at a road trip rather than flying somewhere. And maybe using points for the hotel. Damn glad we bought our Vegas plane tickets and some wine a few months ago.

Of course, it wasn't that long ago that our dollar was way lower than 80 cents.

The other thing is that mrs bman has been agitating for an Eastern Canada road trip for a while.....
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
...mrs bman has been agitating for an Eastern Canada road trip for a while.....

Cool



Smile

Pending confirmation today or tomorrow from hotels/condo rentals, we will be in Montreal July 2-9, Ottawa 9-16, Quebec City 16-24, Montreal 24-27. Please find the overlap and make it happen, bman.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
...mrs bman has been agitating for an Eastern Canada road trip for a while.....

Cool



Smile

Pending confirmation today or tomorrow from hotels/condo rentals, we will be in Montreal July 2-9, Ottawa 9-16, Quebec City 16-24, Montreal 24-27. Please find the overlap and make it happen, bman.


Happy days!! Banana That is around the time we were thinking of doing our own road trip which would pas through Montreal and Quebec City. Just waiting for summer Board meeting date to be confirmed before getting down to serious planning. Pls provide local contact details and confirm dates via email. Smile

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×