I was only here for a week+ earlier this month and didn't come across anything worth mentioning. I did find a nice wine bar called The Bentley where I tried to focus on Aussie wines and enjoyed a Hunter Valley Shiraz, I don't recall the name. The waitress informed me that the HV Shiraz style tended to be less big and bold than other areas. The wine came across as fairly balanced with some iron and iodine/blood notes.

Now that I understand how liberal the BYO policy is here, I hope to bring back a few nice bottles this weekend to enjoy with dinners next week.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I'm heading to Montreal in 36 hours, and I see it is 32 degrees! Mad

I was not planning on bringing a coat!

No worries, w+a. Warming trend returning tomorrow.
While it is quite common to get a freakish last snow spurt in early April, it is odd even here to have snow flurries all day. I had no coat and had to clear the car with my bare hands this afternoon.

It'll hit 70 by weekend and, now, just a bit of rain Sat/Sun. That can change in a heart-beat though.

A spring jacket should be plenty for the evenings Wink
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I'm heading to Montreal in 36 hours, and I see it is 32 degrees! Mad

I was not planning on bringing a coat!

No worries, w+a. Warming trend returning tomorrow.
While it is quite common to get a freakish last snow spurt in early April, it is odd even here to have snow flurries all day. I had no coat and had to clear the car with my bare hands this afternoon.

It'll hit 70 by weekend and, now, just a bit of rain Sat/Sun. That can change in a heart-beat though.

A spring jacket should be plenty for the evenings Wink


Spring...jacket...= oxymoron.
Back in London for a few days. Mrs. Glennk has some work to finish up in the next couple days and we have our final London offline with a N. Rhone theme tomorrow for lunch. Then off to Bordeaux (ash cloud providing) on Thursday – Saturday, back to London for a couple final days and then officially moving back to sunny SoCal on 5/31. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Have fun, Glenn. I look forward to reading about your experiences in Bordeaux.
Thanks. Right now we have appointments at Pontet-Canet, Lafite, Palmer, Lynch Bage and Smith Haut Lafitte. Our first time there so it should be fun!
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Have fun, Glenn. I look forward to reading about your experiences in Bordeaux.
Thanks. Right now we have appointments at Pontet-Canet, Lafite, Palmer, Lynch Bage and Smith Haut Lafitte. Our first time there so it should be fun!


Are you going anyplace I have heard of?

Seriously, have a blast, and look forward to hearing all about it.
Grove Isle Hotel & Spa in Coconut Grove

Just returned last night. My apologies for not getting together with anyone. The quick weekend outing was a b'day gift to D and she made me promise 'no off-lines' on this trip. Red Face Smile

I greatly appreciated posted comments in earlier threads regarding the Sunday Brunch at the Hotel and Casa Juancho's). All good information that came in handy (also had to stop by Padron and pick up a box of 1926 No. 9s Cool )
Venice- outstanding and hot

Verona- hot

Bellagio- wonderful, but one day would have been enough

Zurich- one day is too much

Strasbourg- beautiful, but the highlights were the visit at Albert Mann and the 2 hours with Olivier Humbrecht in his cellar at Zind-Humbrecht
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:


and the 2 hours with Olivier Humbrecht in his cellar at Zind-Humbrecht


As you know, we spent an afternoon with Olivier in Alsace, and enjoyed every moment.

As for the "hot" comments... you would be saying the same if you were home currently. Cool

Thanks for the update.
We spent today walking around the old city of Geneva and had a nice dinner at Jeck`s Place. Stars of dining so far have been Vini da Gigio in Venice, Trattoria San Giacomo in Bellagio, and Buerehiesel in Strasbourg. Unfortunately, the disappointment was Antico Martini in Venice.

By the way, I am bringing back a very special bottle of wine for a future offline. A half bottle, from Alsace.
Ed, my wife and I are indebted to you for all the great travel advice we've received from you over the years. Some of the food at Antico Martini was excellent (my wife's vegetable tempura was). My breast of duck was so overcooked, tough, and flavorless, I sent it back. It's been years since I sent back a main course. The replacement was just as inedible. The waiter then suggested I get the baby lamb chops instead. I ordered them medium rare. They came out well-done and tough, but I ate them and didn't complain. The same wine we had at Vini da Gigio was more than double the price. I don't have my notes with me at the moment, but I expect to post more when we return.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Ed, my wife and I are indebted to you for all the great travel advice we've received from you over the years. Some of the food at Antico Martini was excellent (my wife's vegetable tempura was). My breast of duck was so overcooked, tough, and flavorless, I sent it back. It's been years since I sent back a main course. The replacement was just as inedible. The waiter then suggested I get the baby lamb chops instead. I ordered them medium rare. They came out well-done and tough, but I ate them and didn't complain. The same wine we had at Vini da Gigio was more than double the price. I don't have my notes with me at the moment, but I expect to post more when we return.


That's a shame. It was very good when I dined there, but that was in 2004.
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Ed, my wife and I are indebted to you for all the great travel advice we've received from you over the years. Some of the food at Antico Martini was excellent (my wife's vegetable tempura was). My breast of duck was so overcooked, tough, and flavorless, I sent it back. It's been years since I sent back a main course. The replacement was just as inedible. The waiter then suggested I get the baby lamb chops instead. I ordered them medium rare. They came out well-done and tough, but I ate them and didn't complain. The same wine we had at Vini da Gigio was more than double the price. I don't have my notes with me at the moment, but I expect to post more when we return.


That's a shame. It was very good when I dined there, but that was in 2004.


Ouch!! What a downfall. Last there Christmas 2007.
Maybe just an off night, though the duck and the lamb were not good.

We drove past miles of vineyards east of Geneva today on our way to Montreux. Most of the wineries appeared closed for vacation, but we had no plans to stop. On to Burgundy tomorrow.
Board-O,

If you're in Beaune, try out Caves Madeleine for dinner as my wife and I had a nice dinner there a couple of weeks ago. They are pretty passionate about their wine there too. We stayed a Le Cedre which was a decent hotel within walking distance to centre-ville.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×