Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Bethesda Maryland

Next trip let us know you're coming! Even if it's for a quick glass and a hello.

PH

Mom in hospital. No time for notice or visit this time. Definitely in future

Saddened to hear this. Wishing the best for your Mom!
On our return trip from Vietnam we had a 10 hour layover in Seoul, so we left the airport for a brief tour of the city. Back at the airport we were in the 100-person deep line to go through security when we heard a voice calling, "Old people! Old people!" We turned to see an airport employee gesturing to us. "Old people! Special line!" He pulled us out of the line, handed us vouchers, and led us to a separate entrance where we (and half a dozen other bewildered "old people") were whisked through security. Very odd, but you can call me old all you want if it means jumping the queue.

At least the story didn't have a dystopian ending where the "special line" led to a bus to take us to a "retirement village" because old people are no longer valued by society.
Greetings from beautiful Singapore, lush and green just as you'd expect in an equatorial rainforest, with stunning architecture that makes Chicago, San Francisco, and even Shanghai less interesting in comparison. Even the high-rise apartments not far from the airport-- and therefore outside the main city-- have interesting architectural features. It's almost as though a talented cartoonist was told to draw the city of the future with buildings as unusual as he could visualize; he might have drawn something pretty close to modern Singapore. We're in a fantastic location, with all the main cultural areas-- Chinese, Indian, Arabic, Malay-- all within just a few blocks. And the British influence here, especially in our hotel (Intercontinental), is very obvious. We are very glad that we chose to spend a few days looking around this wonderful city-state before embarking on the cruise, and my lovely wife has some interesting tours set up for us.

Will start taking photos today, if the very warm rain lets up a bit. Temperature 90F, thunderstorm, humidity 90%, with sun and even higher humidity for this afternoon. A bit uncomfortable for card-carrying Canadians, and completely unacceptable for ice hockey, but my darling thinks she's figured out a way for us to survive simply by going from shopping mall to shopping mall, as most are connected underground or by elevated enclosed walkways. And she thinks there might be some clothing stores open in one or two of the malls. I'm hoping she's wrong.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Greetings from beautiful Singapore, lush and green just as you'd expect in an equatorial rainforest, with stunning architecture that makes Chicago, San Francisco, and even Shanghai less interesting in comparison. Even the high-rise apartments not far from the airport-- and therefore outside the main city-- have interesting architectural features. It's almost as though a talented cartoonist was told to draw the city of the future with buildings as unusual as he could visualize; he might have drawn something pretty close to modern Singapore. We're in a fantastic location, with all the main cultural areas-- Chinese, Indian, Arabic, Malay-- all within just a few blocks. And the British influence here, especially in our hotel (Intercontinental), is very obvious. We are very glad that we chose to spend a few days looking around this wonderful city-state before embarking on the cruise, and my lovely wife has some interesting tours set up for us.

Will start taking photos today, if the very warm rain lets up a bit. Temperature 90F, thunderstorm, humidity 90%, with sun and even higher humidity for this afternoon. A bit uncomfortable for card-carrying Canadians, and completely unacceptable for ice hockey, but my darling thinks she's figured out a way for us to survive simply by going from shopping mall to shopping mall, as most are connected underground or by elevated enclosed walkways. And she thinks there might be some clothing stores open in one or two of the malls. I'm hoping she's wrong.

We visited a few times when we lived in India and Pakistan and enjoyed the city immensely, though the heat can be tough to deal with. Our kids were little and we went to the zoo once, which offered cooling stations between exhibits with a steady cooling mist and cold drink machines in each one. They know what they're doing there!

Hope S is including a visit to Sentosa Island between mall visits! And don't forget to not spit, or chew gum, or engage in many other activities legal everywhere but there!
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Greetings from beautiful Singapore, lush and green just as you'd expect in an equatorial rainforest, with stunning architecture that makes Chicago, San Francisco, and even Shanghai less interesting in comparison. Even the high-rise apartments not far from the airport-- and therefore outside the main city-- have interesting architectural features. It's almost as though a talented cartoonist was told to draw the city of the future with buildings as unusual as he could visualize; he might have drawn something pretty close to modern Singapore. We're in a fantastic location, with all the main cultural areas-- Chinese, Indian, Arabic, Malay-- all within just a few blocks. And the British influence here, especially in our hotel (Intercontinental), is very obvious.

Glad to hear that you've made it. If you are staying at Bugis Junction, I can endorse that hotel as I've spent many a night there. Have fun and don't forget to carry an extra shirt. A day walking around there can be a 3 shirt kind of day.
quote:
Originally posted by Racer117:

Glad to hear that you've made it. If you are staying at Bugis Junction, I can endorse that hotel as I've spent many a night there. Have fun and don't forget to carry an extra shirt. A day walking around there can be a 3 shirt kind of day.

Thanks, amigo. We went for a walk this morning from about 8:00am until about 10:00, hoping it would be more pleasant than going later in the day. Wrong! The temperature and humidity here are just kicking my northern climate butt.

We're going to Marina Bay Sands tonight for drinks in Sky Park and light dinner. Thanks for that rec! Views should be spectacular. Tomorrow afternoon we embark on ship for some cruising.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.