Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
We make reservations far in advance. Last year we were able to make a late September reservation on July 1st.

I'm flying solo. I took my 4 year old to FL to visit my folks so I'm not sure it's going to work out. Still want to get there though.

It's been several years since I was last there, but they used to (and hopefully still) have a bar/restaurant next door called Side Berns. On one business trip to Tampa I couldn't get a table at Berns proper so went to Side Berns and had a marvelous experience.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
quote:
quote:
We make reservations far in advance. Last year we were able to make a late September reservation on July 1st.

I'm flying solo. I took my 4 year old to FL to visit my folks so I'm not sure it's going to work out. Still want to get there though.

It's been several years since I was last there, but they used to (and hopefully still) have a bar/restaurant next door called Side Berns. On one business trip to Tampa I couldn't get a table at Berns proper so went to Side Berns and had a marvelous experience.

Never overlook Columbia, a Cuban restaurant with a brilliant Spanish wine list!
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
quote:
quote:

Thanks I may try that. If I'm dining solo I would prefer to sit at the bar anyway.
Phoenix.

It's overcast here, and our resident friends are complaining about the weather. When we left Vancouver this morning, it was raining and 5○C with a predicted high of 7 and some snow tomorrow. Here's it's balmy and 21◦, with sun forecast for the rest of our stay.

Nobody's gonna be hearing any complaints from me! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Phoenix.

It's overcast here, and our resident friends are complaining about the weather. When we left Vancouver this morning, it was raining and 5○C with a predicted high of 7 and some snow tomorrow. Here's it's balmy and 21◦, with sun forecast for the rest of our stay.

Nobody's gonna be hearing any complaints from me! Smile

Ha! One of my best friends lives in Phoenix.
When I tell him I envy his weather (usually in winter), he always says I should come down and spend the summer with him sometime. Big Grin
I'll get my sun next month in Puerto Vallarta. Cool
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Boynton Beach, FL

Missed this! Hope you had a good time. Coming back at some point?

I will be back again, but likely not for another year. For this trip, I was busy with work-related things, but next time I'll be sure to build in a day or so for getting together with some of the FL gang.
London - where we were at Westminster Palace when today's attack occurred. My wife, son, and I were at the main entrance of the building when I saw security officers start to move swiftly and had some people exiting come back through the gates and then heard 3 or 4 shots and were told to run. We stopped at the next bridge and talked with 2 men who witnessed the attack and saw the driver come out with 2 large knives. We were never in any immediate danger as the shots were from police on the attacker, but it was spooky that we had crossed Westminster Bridge less than 10 minutes before and I checked my camera and took a photo from the spot where the car crashed 4 minutes earlier. Just happy we are safe and best wishes and condolences to those injured or killed.
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
London - where we were at Westminster Palace when today's attack occurred. My wife, son, and I were at the main entrance of the building when I saw security officers start to move swiftly and had some people exiting come back through the gates and then heard 3 or 4 shots and were told to run. We stopped at the next bridge and talked with 2 men who witnessed the attack and saw the driver come out with 2 large knives. We were never in any immediate danger as the shots were from police on the attacker, but it was spooky that we had crossed Westminster Bridge less than 10 minutes before and I checked my camera and took a photo from the spot where the car crashed 4 minutes earlier. Just happy we are safe and best wishes and condolences to those injured or killed.

Glad you and your family are safe.
quote:

Talk about being lucky.

Stay safe, need to drink with you again
They just released a photo of the policeman at the gate who was stabbed and died, and he is in a photo my wife took at the gate time stamped at 2:39 and the attack took place 2 to 3 minutes later. So sad. In talking with our son studying here we learned that the stabbings that took place last August occurred in a park that abutts the building he and we are staying in where 4 people were injured and one woman was killed, the wife of an FSU professor the day before they were to leave. Such senseless taking of life.

EDIT - Revised the month and that only one was killed and the others injured as this attack was mentioned in articles I read after posting which differed from what I was told.
Last edited by vinole
quote:
They just released a photo of the policeman at the gate who was stabbed and died, and he is in a photo my wife took at the gate time stamped at 2:39 and the attack took place 2 to 3 minutes later. So sad. In talking with our son studying here we learned that the stabbings that took place last May occurred in a park that abutts the building he and we are staying in that took 5 lives including the wife of an FSU professor the day before they were to leave. Such senseless taking of life.

Heavy stuff. Glad you and fam are okay.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.