quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
Gengenbach, Germany


I was just there a couple of weeks ago. Where are you dining?


Last night was at Bistro Schatull.
Plan to try Die Reichstadt and Michaelangelo.

Do you have any recommendation W+A?
.


Was only there for one night. Stayed and dined at Die Reichstadt. Very modern and excellent. Had a wonderful lobster dish and enjoyed our after dinner drinks by the fire on a cool night.

We loved the Black Forest area a great deal.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
fly fishing in North Andros

Envious! I got my first flyrod when I was four years old. Do you tie flies? I remember the first time I caught a trout on a fly I tied. It was a brook trout in the Battenkill River on a Mickey Finn.


Board-O, I've never tied a fly. Have enough trouble casting into heavy wind.
If anyone wants to see unspoiled beauty, I would definitely recommend the Joulter Cays. Just gorgeous.
My wife's family is in the fisheries business (in Japan and Taiwan, mostly), so we got a VIP tour of Tsukiji at 4:30 this morning. We were last here when it was mostly open to the public, but not anymore. Fascinating behind the scenes view of what is a world apart.

After that, breakfast of sushi and beer at one of the fantastic little sushi shops near the market. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
My wife's family is in the fisheries business (in Japan and Taiwan, mostly), so we got a VIP tour of Tsukiji at 4:30 this morning. We were last here when it was mostly open to the public, but not anymore. Fascinating behind the scenes view of what is a world apart.

After that, breakfast of sushi and beer at one of the fantastic little sushi shops near the market. Cool
That sounds awesome. Would love to do that someday.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Dallas this morning, now on to Houston. Breakfast at the waffle house.


Living the high life.
Turns out walking the length of Champs-Élysées from the Arc de Triomphe down to Jardin des Tuileries and back is a fairly decent cure for jet lag. Christmas market stalls line the avenue selling scarves, jewellery, Russian dolls, churros and chestnuts. Strangest sight of the day: a three-story haunted house ride overrun with - wait for it - zombie Santas.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Turns out walking the length of Champs-Élysées from the Arc de Triomphe down to Jardin des Tuileries and back is a fairly decent cure for jet lag. Christmas market stalls line the avenue selling scarves, jewellery, Russian dolls, churros and chestnuts. Strangest sight of the day: a three-story haunted house ride overrun with - wait for it - zombie Santas.

Have a great time! And report back on Beaune!
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Turns out walking the length of Champs-Élysées from the Arc de Triomphe down to Jardin des Tuileries and back is a fairly decent cure for jet lag. Christmas market stalls line the avenue selling scarves, jewellery, Russian dolls, churros and chestnuts. Strangest sight of the day: a three-story haunted house ride overrun with - wait for it - zombie Santas.

Cool
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Turns out walking the length of Champs-Élysées from the Arc de Triomphe down to Jardin des Tuileries and back is a fairly decent cure for jet lag. Christmas market stalls line the avenue selling scarves, jewellery, Russian dolls, churros and chestnuts. Strangest sight of the day: a three-story haunted house ride overrun with - wait for it - zombie Santas.

Have a great time! And report back on Beaune!

We have now ensconced ourselves in the Beaune appartement. Parking is a hassle here, especially since the police will be sealing off the inner city (i.e. portion within the ramparts) from car traffic tomorrow morning in advance of the Hospices Auction. Regardless, our one bedroom apartment is spacious and warm, and I would happily recommend it to anyone traveling this way. The most impressive thing about Beaune thus far: every third doorway is a wine store.
Sounds awesome VinT! Would like to learn more about apt when you get back. And don't come back to Canada empty handed!
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Sounds awesome VinT! Would like to learn more about apt when you get back. And don't come back to Canada empty handed!


Fat chance of that!
Last evening, we had the cobblestone streets of Beaune virtually to ourselves. Tonight, on the eve of the Auction, they are so packed we had to take back alleys returning to the apartment. Luckily, we are freshly fortified with a pre-dinner nosh of champagne truffles and a perfectly serviceable Nicolas Feuillatte brut, and ready to plunge back into the milieu.
Last edited by vint
Beaune is a great place. I'd like to get back there someday. We were telling my wife's brother and his wife about our bike ride through the vineyards south to Meursault (you can go even farther) and I was thinking I'd like to be back there doing that.
VinT - Hope you got to see some of Beaune's laser light shows where they light up churches, ramparts, etc. Definitely not to be missed. We stumbled upon it one night after dinner at La Ciboulette and spent the night going to seven of the shows.
quote:
Originally posted by Arsenal4ever:
VinT - Hope you got to see some of Beaune's laser light shows where they light up churches, ramparts, etc. Definitely not to be missed. We stumbled upon it one night after dinner at La Ciboulette and spent the night going to seven of the shows.

Unfortunately I think these shows ended in September. But I've seen a couple elsewhere and yes, they are wild.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Turns out walking the length of Champs-Élysées from the Arc de Triomphe down to Jardin des Tuileries and back is a fairly decent cure for jet lag. Christmas market stalls line the avenue selling scarves, jewellery, Russian dolls, churros and chestnuts. Strangest sight of the day: a three-story haunted house ride overrun with - wait for it - zombie Santas.

Have a great time! And report back on Beaune!

We have now ensconced ourselves in the Beaune appartement. Parking is a hassle here, especially since the police will be sealing off the inner city (i.e. portion within the ramparts) from car traffic tomorrow morning in advance of the Hospices Auction. Regardless, our one bedroom apartment is spacious and warm, and I would happily recommend it to anyone traveling this way. The most impressive thing about Beaune thus far: every third doorway is a wine store.


Cool Enjoy!
What an amazing Stadium! Makes me wonder why the Steinbrenners didn't do something on this scale when they made the new Yankee Stadium.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Six Flags over Texas. Where my seven year old grandson gets his energy, I don't know.


Didn't think they were even open this time of year. Must be Holidays in the Park or something along those lines.
Back in Tokyo after 6 great days in Kyoto and Kanazawa.

Went for a run early this morning and almost got bowled over by the earthquake. Eek

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×