Wow, this is getting serious.

So here's my EC pick of the day:

Now it's just you and me, my blue friend
And you say that it's you that she's thinking of
And our affair must end
But if it's you that she's thinking of
I think my broken heart might mend

[Chorus:]
Now it's my turn to talk and your turn to think
Your turn to buy and my turn to drink
Your turn to cry and my turn to sink down in the Blue Chair
Down in the Blue Chair

Now I've made up my mind I've made my mistake
And I know that she cries for you
When she's barely awake
She's going to bend your mind
Well I hope it don't break

[Chorus]

Down in the Blue Chair
We can watch our troubles rise
Like smoke into the air
And drift up to the ceiling
Down in the Blue Chair
You can feel just like a boy or a man
And next minute you can find yourself kneeling
Down in the Blue Chair
They're boasting of loving the daylights right out of her in the small hours
Down in the Blue Chair
You say that your love lasts forever when you know the night is just hours

And still I want her right now
Not any minute, hour or day
And wherever she is tonight
I want her anyway
I suppose she never said to you,
You were just in the way

[Chorus]

Down in the Blue Chair
Down in the blue
Blue becomes you
Down in the Blue Chair
And on the not so serious side:


Peaches come from a can,
they were put there by a man
In a factory downtown
If I had my little way,
I'd eat peaches every day
Sun-soakin' bulges in the shade



(by the way, peaches are just coming into season here in Michigan--Yuuummmmyy!)
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
And on the not so serious side:


Peaches come from a can,
they were put there by a man
In a factory downtown
If I had my little way,
I'd eat peaches every day
Sun-soakin' bulges in the shade



(by the way, peaches are just coming into season here in Michigan--Yuuummmmyy!)


Cool! Peaches!

"Blow up your T.V.
Throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home.
Plant a little garden,
eat a lot of peaches.
Try and find Jesus on your own."
A big +1 on Leonard Cohen, and Joni Mitchell.

I'm a big fan of PJ Harvey and her lyrics. Here's a snippet from "The Dancer" off her album To Bring you my Love:

He came riding fast like a phoenix out of fire flames
He came dressed in black with a cross bearing my name
He came bathed in light and the splendor and glory
I can't believe what the lord has finally sent me

He said dance for me, fanciulla gentile
He said laugh awhile, I can make your heart feel
He said fly with me, touch the face of the true God
And then cry with joy at the depth of my love

'Cause I've prayed days, I've prayed nights
For the lord just to send me home some sign
I've looked long, I've looked far
To bring peace to my black and empty heart
"Hurt" (Johnny Cash version)

I hurt myself today
to see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
the only thing that's real
the needle tears a hole
the old familiar sting
try to kill it all away
but I remember everything
what have I become?
my sweetest friend
everyone I know
goes away in the end
and you could have it all
my empire of dirt

I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns
upon my liar's chair
full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
beneath the stains of time
the feelings disappear
you are someone else
I am still right here

what have I become?
my sweetest friend
everyone I know
goes away in the end
and you could have it all
my empire of dirt

I will let you down
I will make you hurt

if I could start again
a million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way

One of the most powerful songs today, IMO.
The video is even stronger.
Literally gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.
In a lifetime of writing great lyrics, one of Dylan's greatest:
Crimson flames tied through my ears
Rollin’ high and mighty traps
Pounced with fire on flaming roads
Using ideas as my maps
“We’ll meet on edges, soon,” said I
Proud ’neath heated brow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now

Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth
“Rip down all hate,” I screamed
Lies that life is black and white
Spoke from my skull. I dreamed
Romantic facts of musketeers
Foundationed deep, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now

Girls’ faces formed the forward path
From phony jealousy
To memorizing politics
Of ancient history
Flung down by corpse evangelists
Unthought of, though, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now

A self-ordained professor’s tongue
Too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty
Is just equality in school
“Equality,” I spoke the word
As if a wedding vow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now

In a soldier’s stance, I aimed my hand
At the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I’d become my enemy
In the instant that I preach
My pathway led by confusion boats
Mutiny from stern to bow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
I'm too sexy for my shirt
Too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurts

Changed my life the first time I heard it.


Me too. Second best post on this thread. It kind of sucks. I think it was meant for people to jot a couple lines down maybe half a verse or so, but people are cutting and pasting full lyrics. Boo.
Seems to be a lot of Leonard Cohen fans here. My only knowledge of him comes from Manhattan

Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win
You know the way to stop me, but you don't have the discipline
How many nights I prayed for this, to let my work begin
First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin

Am I missing something?
This was my anthem when I moved out at 18:

I don't need you to worry for me, 'cause I'm alright
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home
I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone

I never said you had to offer me a second chance
I never said I was a victim of circumstance
I stil belong, dont get me wrong
You can speak your mind, but not on my time

They will tell you you can't sleep alone in a strange place
Then they'll tell you you can't sleep with somebody else
Oh, but sooner or later you sleep in your own space
Either way it's ok, you wake up with yourself
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Seems to be a lot of Leonard Cohen fans here. My only knowledge of him comes from Manhattan

Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win
You know the way to stop me, but you don't have the discipline
How many nights I prayed for this, to let my work begin
First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin

Am I missing something?


Yes. Search out Suzanne, So Long Marianne, Hallelujah, Bird on a Wire, I'm Your Man, Dance Me to the End of Love, Tower of Song, That's No Way to Say Goodbye, Sisters of Mercy, and a bunch more that didn't come to mind quickly but I'll think of them later.

I think Cohen is much more of a poet than a songwriter; I think some of his work is put to music as an afterthought, so the lyrics always surpass the tunes in his case.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
This was my anthem when I moved out at 18:

I don't need you to worry for me, 'cause I'm alright
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home
I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone

I never said you had to offer me a second chance
I never said I was a victim of circumstance
I stil belong, dont get me wrong
You can speak your mind, but not on my time

They will tell you you can't sleep alone in a strange place
Then they'll tell you you can't sleep with somebody else
Oh, but sooner or later you sleep in your own space
Either way it's ok, you wake up with yourself

Never realized the theme song from Bosom Buddies would have such a profound impact on someone's life. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Search out Suzanne, So Long Marianne, Hallelujah, Bird on a Wire, I'm Your Man, Dance Me to the End of Love, Tower of Song, That's No Way to Say Goodbye, Sisters of Mercy, and a bunch more that didn't come to mind quickly but I'll think of them later, like Famous Blue Raincoat and Master Song

I think Cohen is much more of a poet than a songwriter; I think some of his work is put to music as an afterthought, so the lyrics always surpass the tunes in his case.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Seems to be a lot of Leonard Cohen fans here. My only knowledge of him comes from Manhattan

Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win
You know the way to stop me, but you don't have the discipline
How many nights I prayed for this, to let my work begin
First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin

Am I missing something?


Yes. Search out Suzanne, So Long Marianne, Hallelujah, Bird on a Wire, I'm Your Man, Dance Me to the End of Love, Tower of Song, That's No Way to Say Goodbye, Sisters of Mercy, and a bunch more that didn't come to mind quickly but I'll think of them later.

I think Cohen is much more of a poet than a songwriter; I think some of his work is put to music as an afterthought, so the lyrics always surpass the tunes in his case.


Indeed. Aside from Hallelujah which is brilliant and the exception that proves the rule, he never should have picked up microphone. Lyrics are genius, the rest, not so much.....
This one came up on the iPod on the way home tonight - IMO one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded as far as both lyrics, melody and voice.

And now the purple dusk of twilight time
Steals across the meadows of my heart
High up in the sky the little stars climb
Always reminding me that we're apart

You wander down the lane and far away
Leaving me a song that will not die
Love is now the stardust of yesterday
The music of the years gone by

Sometimes I wonder why I spend
The lonely nights dreaming of a song
The melody haunts my reverie
And I am once again with you
When our live was new
And each kiss an inspiration
Bit that was long ago
Now my consolation is in the stardust of a song

Beside a garden wall where stars are bright
You are in my heart
The nightingale tells his fairy tale
A paradise where roses bloom
Though I dream in vain
In my heart you will remain
My stardust melody
The memory of love's refrain
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
This was my anthem when I moved out at 18:

I don't need you to worry for me, 'cause I'm alright
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home
I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone

I never said you had to offer me a second chance
I never said I was a victim of circumstance
I stil belong, dont get me wrong
You can speak your mind, but not on my time

They will tell you you can't sleep alone in a strange place
Then they'll tell you you can't sleep with somebody else
Oh, but sooner or later you sleep in your own space
Either way it's ok, you wake up with yourself

Never realized the theme song from Bosom Buddies would have such a profound impact on someone's life. Wink

Hey, I liked that show!

Unfortunately, I think my daughter has now picked up the mantle of this song. She is looking at buying a house, and has forbidden me to see her picks first. Ok, so maybe I was a little critical of the first dump she looked at...
Sometimes I try to do things but it just doesn't work out the way I want it to, and I get real frustrated and then like I try hard to do it, and I like, take my time but it just doesn't work out the way I want it to. It's like, I concentrate on it real hard, but it just doesn't work out. And everything I do and everything I try, it never turns out. It's like, I need time to figure these things out, but there's always someone there going “hey mike, you know we've been noticing you've been having a lot of problems lately, you know? You need to maybe get away. And like, maybe you should talk about it, you'll feel a lot better.” And I'm all like “oh, nah, it's ok, you know. I'll figure it out. Just leave me alone, I'll figure it out, you know? I'm just working on it by myself.” And they go “well, you know, if you wanna talk about it, I'll be here, you know? And you'll probably feel a lot better if you talk about it. So why don't you talk about it?” I go “no, I don't want to! I'm ok. I'll figure it out myself!” But they just keep bugging me, they just keep bugging me, and it builds up inside.

So you're gonna be institutionalized.
You'll come out brainwashed with bloodshot eyes.
You won't have anything to say.
They'll brainwash you until you see their way.

I'm not crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!
You're the one that's crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!
You're driving me crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!

They stuck me in an institution,
Said it was the only solution
To give me the needed professional help to protect me from the enemy, myself.

I was in my room and I was just like staring at the wall thinking about everything, but then again I was thinking about nothing. And then my mom came in, and I didn't even know she was there. She called my name and I didn't hear her and then she started screaming “Mike, Mike!” And I go “what? What's the matter?” She goes “what's the matter with you?” I go “there's nothing wrong, mom.” Shes all “don't tell me that! You're on drugs!” I go “no mom, I'm not on drugs. I'm ok, I'm just thinking, you know? Why don't you get me a Pepsi?” She goes “No! You're on drugs!” I go “mom, I'm ok. I'm just thinking.” She goes “No! You're not thinking, you're on drugs! Normal people don't be acting that way!” I go “mom, just get me a Pepsi! Please, all I want is a Pepsi!” And she wouldn't give it to me! All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me! Just a Pepsi!

They give you a white shirt with long sleeves!
Tied around your back, you're treated like thieves!
Drug you up because they're lazy!
It's too much work to help a crazy!

I'm not crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!
You're the one who's crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!
You're driving me crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!

They stuck me in an institution,
Said it was the only solution
To give me the needed professional help, to protect me from the enemy, myself.

I'm sitting in my room, when my mom and my dad came in. they pulled up a chair and they sat down. They go “mike, we need to talk to you.” And I go “ok, what's the matter?” They go “me and your mom, we've noticed that lately you've been having a lot of problems, and you've been going off for no reason, and we're afraid you're going to hurt somebody, and we're afraid you're going to hurt yourself. So we decided that it would be in your best interest if we put you somewhere where you could get the help that you need.” And I go “wait, what are you talking about, WE decided? MY best interests? How do you know what MY best interest is? How can you say what MY best interest is? What are you trying to say? I'M crazy? When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities? So how can you say I'M crazy?”

They say they're gonna fix my brain.
Alleviate my suffering and my pain.
But by the time they fix my head,
Mentally I'll be dead.

I'm not crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!
You're the one who's crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!
You're driving me crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!

They stuck me in an institution,
Said it was the only solution
To give me the needed professional help, to protect me from the enemy, myself.

Doesn't matter, I'll probably get hit by a car anyways.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
This was my anthem when I moved out at 18:

I don't need you to worry for me, 'cause I'm alright
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home
I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone

I never said you had to offer me a second chance
I never said I was a victim of circumstance
I stil belong, dont get me wrong
You can speak your mind, but not on my time

They will tell you you can't sleep alone in a strange place
Then they'll tell you you can't sleep with somebody else
Oh, but sooner or later you sleep in your own space
Either way it's ok, you wake up with yourself

Never realized the theme song from Bosom Buddies would have such a profound impact on someone's life. Wink

Hey, I liked that show!

Unfortunately, I think my daughter has now picked up the mantle of this song. She is looking at buying a house, and has forbidden me to see her picks first. Ok, so maybe I was a little critical of the first dump she looked at...

I liked that show too... You're a good sport. Smile. Hope your daughter finds the right home (one she loves and one you are happy to see her in).
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
........I'm not crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!
You're the one who's crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!
You're driving me crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!.............
I would have chosen Suicidal Failure but fair enough......


I understand now, and I'm sorry.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
........I'm not crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!
You're the one who's crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!
You're driving me crazy - IN AN INSTITUTION!!!.............
I would have chosen Suicidal Failure but fair enough......


I understand now, and I'm sorry.
You really don't want to go on do you? Didn't getting owned earlier teach you anything?

Perhaps you have the acuity of the average canine and simply need repetitive training.
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
getting owned


Riiight, if you say so, of course. The part where you educated me on the English language and its definitions was the most telling part. What's that? It wasn't quite that way round? Oh dear...

In any case, I refuse to go on. I'm genuinely sorry, angry little man. I will not be held accountable for your actions. I didn't realise the state of mind I was addressing. Bless.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
getting owned


Riiight, if you say so, of course. The part where you educated me on the English language and its definitions was the most telling part. What's that? It wasn't quite that way round? Oh dear...

In any case, I refuse to go on. I'm genuinely sorry, angry little man. I will not be held accountable for your actions. I didn't realise the state of mind I was addressing. Bless.
Just consider me your Pavlov. Apparently you will be a rather difficult breed to train, but I have patience.

Go back and read the other thread. You really did come off as pathetic and over matched. Show it to someone you trust, because it's obvious that you are incapable of comprehending it yourself.

By the way, you are not significant enough to generate the emotion of anger in me. Bemusement maybe. Angry? Again, you overestimate yourself. Like I told you before, I won't make that mistake again.

Tootles.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
And the piano sounds like a carnival
And the microphone smells like a beer
And they sit at the bar
And put bread in my jar
And say "man, what are you doing here?"


Yes!!! I was reading through all this and hadn't seen (I don't think...lots written) any Billy Joel references. "Piano Man" is certainly at or near the top. He's an amazing songwriter.
One (second) last word (as you're a guarantee for the last) to avoid confusion:

quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Like I told you before, I won't make that mistake again.


Think you already have, mate. Yes I see the irony, before you start.

quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Go back and read the other thread. You really did come off as pathetic and over matched.


Again, if you say so. You must love to ref your own matches. Didn't see anyone agree with you though, ace. Factually though, you were 'owned' on your writing. You conveniently ignore this, but everyone here can read for themselves. Smug? I was. Now though, I'm worried.

quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
you are not significant enough to generate the emotion of anger in me.


I didn't claim to. Based on what I just learned in this thread, it is an emotion that is already deeply entrenched in you, and I can't bring myself to allow it to fester.

quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Tootles.


Oh dear.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
One (second) last word (as you're a guarantee for the last) to avoid confusion:

quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Like I told you before, I won't make that mistake again.


Think you already have, mate. Yes I see the irony, before you start.

quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Go back and read the other thread. You really did come off as pathetic and over matched.


Again, if you say so. You must love to ref your own matches. Didn't see anyone agree with you though, ace. Factually though, you were 'owned' on your writing. You conveniently ignore this, but everyone here can read for themselves. Smug? I was. Now though, I'm worried.

quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
you are not significant enough to generate the emotion of anger in me.


I didn't claim to. Based on what I just learned in this thread, it is an emotion that is already deeply entrenched in you, and I can't bring myself to allow it to fester.

quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Tootles.


Oh dear.
LOL. Perhaps you are a cat and not a dog. You're correct. I overestimated your intelligence again. So be it. I stand corrected. However, GA rolls a ball of yarn across the forum and you mindlessly chase it. Again, you are owned. Ask anyone.

You were, and are completely owned. It's actually funny in a pathetic tragic sort of way, but I'm sure you are used to people having overt sympathy for you. You know, like the kind you have for someone with a club foot. Unfortunately for you it's for having a club brain so to speak. You, smug? More like lacking self awareness. You know, like a house cat.

Again, thank you for your complete misunderstanding of my emotional state. It isn't anger, it's actually a state of being entertained. I get that way when someone that lacks the intellect attempts to best me. You are entertaining. Just because you are so easy to best.

Consider this post, just another ball of yarn rolled across within your view.

Come on little house cat. Chase away......

LOL!
Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio

Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

Rosenbergs, H-Bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
Brando, "The King and I", and "The Catcher in the Rye"

Eisenhower, vaccine, England's got a new queen
Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

CHORUS
We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it


Josef Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev
Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc

Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron
Dien Bien Phu Falls, Rock Around the Clock

Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team
Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland

Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Khrushchev
Princess Grace, Peyton Place, Trouble in the Suez

*chorus*

Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac
Sputnik, Zhou Enlai, Bridge On The River Kwai

Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle, California Baseball,
Starkweather homicide, Children of Thalidomide

Buddy Holly, Ben Hur, Space Monkey, Mafia
Hula Hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go

U2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy
Chubby Checker, Psycho, Belgians in the Congo

*chorus*

Hemingway, Eichmann, Stranger in a Strange Land,
Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion

Lawrence of Arabia, British Beatlemania
Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson

Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British Politician sex
J.F.K. blown away, what else do I have to say

*chorus*

Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon back again
Moonshot, Woodstock, Watergate, punk rock

Begin, Reagan, Palestine, Terror on the airline
Ayatollah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan

Wheel of Fortune, Sally Ride, heavy metal suicide
Foreign debts, homeless Vets, AIDS, Crack, Bernie Goetz

Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law
Rock and Roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore!
I think these are beautiful lyrics. I sent them a few years ago to a friend who had just lost her daughter.

"It's knowing that your door is always open
And your path is free to walk
That makes me tend to leave my sleeping bag
Rolled up and stashed behind your couch
And it's knowing I'm not shackled
By forgotten words and bonds
And the ink stains that have dried upon some line
That keeps you in the backroads
By the rivers of my mem'ry
That keeps you ever gentle on my mind

It's not clinging to the rocks and ivy
Planted on their columns now that binds me
Or something that somebody said
Because they thought we fit together walking
It's just knowing that the world will not be cursing
Or forgiving when I walk along some railroad track and find
That you are moving on the backroads
By the rivers of my mem'ry
And for hours you're just gentle on my mind

Though the wheat fields and the clothes lines
And the junkyards and the highways come between us
And some other woman crying to her mother
'Cause she turned and I was gone
I still might run in silence tears of joy might stain my face
And the summer sun might burn me 'til I'm blind
But not to where I cannot see you walkin' on the backroads
By the rivers flowing gentle on my mind

I dip my cup of soup back from the gurglin'
Cracklin' caldron in some train yard
My beard a roughning coal pile and
A dirty hat pulled low across my face
Through cupped hands 'round a tin can
I pretend I hold you to my breast and find
That you're waving from the backroads
By the rivers of my mem'ry
Ever smilin' ever gentle on my mind"

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×