Good Bye RMP

WSJ Article
Last paragraph was a bit icy though.

Interesting way to close out and I'm not sure that the ads are going to be particularly useful in a non-print vehicle.

In fact, I think they may lose subscribers. It's rare for me to call on a store and not see a copy of the WA and the WS - the owners get those and peruse them for things to order. WS has managed to capture the individual customers while WA has always been purchased by the retailers/distributors. So the subscriber base is actually not all that large. They'll have to be more like WS if they want to grow the ad audience. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
WSJ Article
Last paragraph was a bit icy though.

Interesting way to close out and I'm not sure that the ads are going to be particularly useful in a non-print vehicle.

In fact, I think they may lose subscribers. It's rare for me to call on a store and not see a copy of the WA and the WS - the owners get those and peruse them for things to order. WS has managed to capture the individual customers while WA has always been purchased by the retailers/distributors. So the subscriber base is actually not all that large. They'll have to be more like WS if they want to grow the ad audience. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Greg You need to log in to get this.
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
quote:

Are these publications really that financially lucrative or is it just some really rich people looking for a hobby?

well, you probably have a full time gig anyway and these publications would allow you access to all the wineries who are dying to get your score, esp if you're WA or WS.

I would say as long as it breaks even the perks outweigh anything else.
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Tannin:
I suspect the new company will honor those with subscriptions when the digital version comes out in 2014. This is much ado about very little except for Parker who becomes wealthy enough to retire from contributing

Dr. T!! Nice to see you're safely back from your sabbatical. Hope all is well. Smile
It sounds to me like RMP has made a deal that will allow him to stick with the part of the job he loves the most--tasting and writing about Bordeaux and the Rhone Valley--and sold the rights to everything else for as much $$$$ as he could get.

He's not stupid.

It won't affect me, as I haven't been a subscriber for some years, though.

Maybe Jay Miller will start reviewing all those 98-pointers from the Szechuan province!

Here's another LINK FWIW
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
It sounds to me like RMP has made a deal that will allow him to stick with the part of the job he loves the most--tasting and writing about Bordeaux and the Rhone Valley--and sold the rights to everything else for as much $$$$ as he could get.

He's not stupid.

It won't affect me, as I haven't been a subscriber for some years, though.

Maybe Jay Miller will start reviewing all those 98-pointers from the Szechuan province!

Here's another LINK FWIW

+1 on Parker not stupid, and gets to do what he likes (Rhone) and get a chunk of cash out.

More significant imo, is the shift to the east. Hong Kong buyer of Ch de Gevrey Chambertin http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...ench-wine-grows.html
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
Shock today. Retirng,

Not quite. Still covering Bdx, Rhone, Cali retrospectives - same stuff he's currently covering. Getting rid of the administrative duties to do the stuff he enjoys does indicate some decrease in control, but it's hardly retiring...

quote:
selling company,

Anyone see any numbers? My guess is RP remains in control of >50%.

quote:
going digital [end of 2013],

Nothing shocking here. WA is alteady digital. A substantial portion of the coverage is available exclusively to online subscribers, not print. But online access is kludgy, so a PDF version, if that's where they end up going, would be an improvement

quote:
taking ads in mag,

That's not how I'm reading it, will be interesting to see what kind of ads show up, and where. I'm guessing they'll be digital, not print, and not from wineries. More interesting is the possibility that WA will sponsor/host/promote wine tastings. That's a big conflict.

quote:
focusing on Far East

Shedding a light on what's happening there is a good thing. Doing it to the detriment of "mainstream" coverage would not be. I doubt that the major regions will be given short shrift in favor of Chinese wines. But would expect to see more commentary on the Far East market. [/QUOTE]

quote:
Hiring Squires as an employee.

Squires' been an employee for some time. Nothing new there...

Lots of questions remain about what this will really mean. Should be an interesting transition. I use WA less and less but still enjoy reading the vintage reports and TNs on some of my perennial favorites.
quote:
Originally posted by DBG:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
Shock today. Retirng,

Not quite. Still covering Bdx, Rhone, Cali retrospectives - same stuff he's currently covering. Getting rid of the administrative duties to do the stuff he enjoys does indicate some decrease in control, but it's hardly retiring...

quote:
selling company,

Anyone see any numbers? My guess is RP remains in control of >50%.

quote:
going digital [end of 2013],

Nothing shocking here. WA is alteady digital. A substantial portion of the coverage is available exclusively to online subscribers, not print. But online access is kludgy, so a PDF version, if that's where they end up going, would be an improvement

quote:
taking ads in mag,

That's not how I'm reading it, will be interesting to see what kind of ads show up, and where. I'm guessing they'll be digital, not print, and not from wineries. More interesting is the possibility that WA will sponsor/host/promote wine tastings. That's a big conflict.

quote:
focusing on Far East

Shedding a light on what's happening there is a good thing. Doing it to the detriment of "mainstream" coverage would not be. I doubt that the major regions will be given short shrift in favor of Chinese wines. But would expect to see more commentary on the Far East market.

quote:
Hiring Squires as an employee.

Squires' been an employee for some time. Nothing new there...

Lots of questions remain about what this will really mean. Should be an interesting transition. I use WA less and less but still enjoy reading the vintage reports and TNs on some of my perennial favorites.[/QUOTE]

The folks are '1099 contractors'. Not an employee of teh company.
All have been independent contractors for some time. Parker made that clear. Making them employees is a completely different approach. But Lisa pretty much publicly gave them a take it or leave it deal in her comments and then repeated it in her clarification statement - if intentional, it has to have a strategic rationale and if accidental, it was pretty clumsy. I think it was the former though.

Smart move for Bob. The influence has to wane, the travel is a bitch, and the interest on the part of investors isn't going to last forever. As long as he stays on, a lot of people won't care. Once he leaves, they're competing with WS and from a much smaller subscriber base.
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:

Smart move for Bob. The influence has to wane, the travel is a bitch, and the interest on the part of investors isn't going to last forever. As long as he stays on, a lot of people won't care. Once he leaves, they're competing with WS and from a much smaller subscriber base.

I could not agree more. Parker was the seminal wine critic and the voice of wine in America for 25 years, and much like Clement Greenberg in the art world years ago, his voice and opinion tilted styles and had undisputed influence far beyond what many wanted to acknowledge.

Like any business or possession, better to sell too soon than too late.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
"...Parker's 100-point rating scale system..."

Is this excerpt to suggest that the universally-accepted rating system originated with this guy?

Before Parker, the 100 point system was not the accepted rating system. It is an American system of scoring that has become the norm for many.

I recall the 20 point rating system prior to Parker more than any. It is hard to imagine for the wine enthusiast today that have only had the wine bug for 25 years or less just how much of an influence Parker had. He was the face of American wine, and later became the face for Europe as well for a period of time, much to the consternation of most.

Add Reply

Likes (0)