Skip to main content

I scrolled back thru 7 pages here in T&E, and realized how long it’s been since someone posted a thread about playing golf.  Unfortunately, such a crazy world we’re still in right now......

For the first time in over a year, I took the family on a trip that involved an overnight stay.  Made our way down to Carmel this past weekend, as I was lucky enough to be invited to play Tehama GC on Saturday.  Since it’s a 2 hour drive down for me, I decided to bring the family along while also booking a round at Spanish Bay on Sunday.  Fortuitously, TPEwinedrinker was in the area, and we were able to catch up in person for dinner Saturday night.  

Tehama is a private club owned by Clint Eastwood, situated up in the highlands between Carmel Valley and the Monterey Peninsula.  Getting to the club requires a decent drive while going thru two different security gates.  The clubhouse is world class, and is the first golf facility I’ve ever been to that has entirely indoor/underground parking (so zero worries about errant shots pinging someone’s windshield or body panel).  Course has astounding views from the valley all the way to the ocean, and the Jay Morrish design is challenging.  Definitely a course I wouldn’t hesitate to play over and over.  Oh yea, the owner himself was seated at the outdoor table next to us when we had the traditional post-round beverage.  The member who invited us said Clint still gets out on the course regularly, and is revered by the membership.

Sunday weather was hospitable at Spanish Bay.  My last round there was almost a decade ago, and I’d forgotten how much contour was incorporated into the fairways and greens of the links style layout.  While SB certainly is not as scenic as Pebble Beach nor as challenging as Spyglass Hill, it still is a really good golf course that I wouldn’t hesitate to play at again.  

Hopefully the world returns to a semblance of normalcy by this summer, and there’s more golf for me at courses besides my club...... 🙏 😷

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yup

I also miss SCbeerman's listing of courses he plays.  As for me play a couple times a week.  Not the same.  Face masks in club house, no cups for water due to Covid-19, one person a cart, racks were removed for awhile, attendants would not touch clubs, had to take them home, they would not have communal pencil, tee buckets.  Have not touched my golf partner in over a year.  Shake hands by touching putter at the end of teh round.    Weird world

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.