Skip to main content

I scrolled back thru 7 pages here in T&E, and realized how long it’s been since someone posted a thread about playing golf.  Unfortunately, such a crazy world we’re still in right now......

For the first time in over a year, I took the family on a trip that involved an overnight stay.  Made our way down to Carmel this past weekend, as I was lucky enough to be invited to play Tehama GC on Saturday.  Since it’s a 2 hour drive down for me, I decided to bring the family along while also booking a round at Spanish Bay on Sunday.  Fortuitously, TPEwinedrinker was in the area, and we were able to catch up in person for dinner Saturday night.  

Tehama is a private club owned by Clint Eastwood, situated up in the highlands between Carmel Valley and the Monterey Peninsula.  Getting to the club requires a decent drive while going thru two different security gates.  The clubhouse is world class, and is the first golf facility I’ve ever been to that has entirely indoor/underground parking (so zero worries about errant shots pinging someone’s windshield or body panel).  Course has astounding views from the valley all the way to the ocean, and the Jay Morrish design is challenging.  Definitely a course I wouldn’t hesitate to play over and over.  Oh yea, the owner himself was seated at the outdoor table next to us when we had the traditional post-round beverage.  The member who invited us said Clint still gets out on the course regularly, and is revered by the membership.

Sunday weather was hospitable at Spanish Bay.  My last round there was almost a decade ago, and I’d forgotten how much contour was incorporated into the fairways and greens of the links style layout.  While SB certainly is not as scenic as Pebble Beach nor as challenging as Spyglass Hill, it still is a really good golf course that I wouldn’t hesitate to play at again.  

Hopefully the world returns to a semblance of normalcy by this summer, and there’s more golf for me at courses besides my club...... 🙏 😷

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yup

I also miss SCbeerman's listing of courses he plays.  As for me play a couple times a week.  Not the same.  Face masks in club house, no cups for water due to Covid-19, one person a cart, racks were removed for awhile, attendants would not touch clubs, had to take them home, they would not have communal pencil, tee buckets.  Have not touched my golf partner in over a year.  Shake hands by touching putter at the end of teh round.    Weird world

I have not checked this board in a few months.

I finally started traveling a bit which is great. My first course was a good one, Charlotte CC, a Donald Ross classic. The course is a USGA venue, 13 par 4s, 3 par 3s and 2 par 5s. The green complexes are upper echelon, as good as many major championship venues. This course is the equal of Aronimink and Wannamoisett, in the top 10% of what I have played. The other course was the Wilmington, NC, muni. It is an older Ross which was renovated by John Fought in 2014. Good muni with good greens.

I am about to go on a golf trip on steroids in a few weeks.

In a shortened form, here is the extensive list of courses I have played this year.

First Golfweek Rater outing - Las Colinas CC and Dallas National in Dallas. Black Jack's Crossing in remote, and I am being kind, Lajitas, Tx. Dallas National is a great course, where Bryson trains and Jordan is a member.

Bandon Dunes - on same trip as above. The only new course on the resort was the Sheep Ranch. Bill Coore amazingly routed 18 holes on a small parcel and did it well. Also played the muni, Bandon Crossing, which was not bad. This trip I got to play Pacific Dunes in normal conditions so that I could experience its greatness. However, the original Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails are still my two favorites on the resort.

New England - played in Vermont, NH and Maine which brings me to 41 states. Stowe CC in Vt was ok (the good course was closed that day). Omni Mt Washington in NH is a good public Ross course. The best part of the trip was Portland, Maine, with both good golf and food. Played the exclusive Prouts Neck and Portland CC for a great 36 hole day. PN resembles the great Merion a bit and is a joy to play. PCC is a old line in town Ross club, and the course is very good (not Charlotte CC level). Ended at Cape Arundel in Kennebunkport which was the home course of the Bush family. CA is a blast to play, not long, but interesting with great green complexes.

Finally, a trip to Greenbrier in July, got on the private Snead course, a very good Fazio design. The Meadows courses on the resort is nicely restored and is not easy despite its modest length. Finally, for the 2nd time, played the McDonald/Raynor Old White, a very good course featuring many of the template holes from that duo.

I got to play Glen Abbey for the first time last week. Very challenging, especially when (foolishly) playing from the gold tees, and the greens are really difficult.

That said, I was a little underwhelmed with the condition of the course. As one of the crown jewels of Canadian golf courses I expected it to be immaculate. Not so, which is probably due to indifference of the owner(s) who wanted to sell and develop real estate on it a few years ago. I would imagine the land is valued at a number similar to the GDP of some small countries. I was also surprised how easy it was to get a time (reserved the day before) and the relatively low price ($125 all-in with cart).

@steve8 posted:

I got to play Glen Abbey for the first time last week. Very challenging, especially when (foolishly) playing from the gold tees, and the greens are really difficult.

That said, I was a little underwhelmed with the condition of the course. As one of the crown jewels of Canadian golf courses I expected it to be immaculate. Not so, which is probably due to indifference of the owner(s) who wanted to sell and develop real estate on it a few years ago.

The daily fee clublink Courses are really suffering these days. I played Bond Head on the weekend and holy crap it was awful.  The conditioning was terrible and they have ruined the layout by letting a bunch of the bunkers grow in.  Must have fixed 5-6 ball marks on each green. And that’s only because that’s all I had the patience to fix.

Last edited by csm
@csm posted:

The daily fee clublink Courses are really suffering these days. I played Bond Head on the weekend and holy crap it was awful.  The conditioning was terrible and they have ruined the layout by letting a bunch of the bunkers grow in.  Must have fixed 5-6 ball marks on each green. And that’s only because that’s all I had the patience to fix.

was reading an article about 'skimpflation'. Price stays the same but service or goods gets diminished versus raising price and maintaining level of service or goods. I.E. Hotel I recently stay in charged same amount for room but no more daily cleaning and a  spa fee  where as a few years ago no spa fee and daily cleaning.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.