quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cabernet:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
Having never read these books, is the story on HBO coming close to the actual plots in the books?

The show is an excellent adaptation of the first book A Game of Thrones. Many scenes in the book have been cut to keep it to 10 episodes, but if they didn't you'd need at least double that. Almost every major event and scene from the book is represented however.

The look and attention to detail must thrill all Martin fans except the diehards. And Martin has said it's faithful to the book. Also note he wrote last night's excellent episode. But the problem will be that even though each book ends with a real punch (and begins with one for that matter) there is no conclusion yet to the series. And even if there was could HBO continue with its excellent production values for seven seasons? Though HBO has, as noted, already announced the production of the second book I can't see where they can make a commitment to finish the series. It would need Roots-like ratings.

I noted, myself, that Martin wrote the last episode, and I thought it was fantastic.

As to ratings... the ratings paradigm is somewhat different for pay cable than for regular cable and networks. The only number HBO is interested in is the number of people who will continue to subscribe partially or fully due to the fact that this is on the air. Consequently, their calculus is based upon uniqueness and quality, rather than broadness -- a very different operating scheme than networks, which is why virtually all the best shows are on pay cable (mostly HBO).
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
The only number HBO is interested in is the number of people who will continue to subscribe partially or fully due to the fact that this is on the air.

And I'm seriously considering signing up, largely because of this series. But I remain less excited about the following books because (to me) they seemed to wander aimlessly with no convergence toward a conclusion. Still, the first book is that good!
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
The only number HBO is interested in is the number of people who will continue to subscribe partially or fully due to the fact that this is on the air.

And I'm seriously considering signing up, largely because of this series. But I remain less excited about the following books because (to me) they seemed to wander aimlessly with
no convergence toward a conclusion. Still, the first book is that good!

I don't know, I'm 3/4 through Clash of Kings and really enjoying it. The first three books all get great reviews and the fourth is rated good, but not great. 3,000+ pages and he has a pretty good batting average.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cabernet:
I don't know, I'm 3/4 through Clash of Kings and really enjoying it. The first three books all get great reviews and the fourth is rated good, but not great. 3,000+ pages and he has a pretty good batting average.

Well, I don't want to clog up this thread any further with this side topic. But's let's just agree that different people can reach different conclusions and still be right according to their preferences.
Is this show really that good? I was kind of chuffed all tv shows were finished and I could get fresh air...very tempted to check this one out now.
IMO it's the best series since "The Wire", which I also think out shone the Sopranos for consistency. (the highs might have been higher in the Sopranos, but boy it got bogged down in the middle)
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cabernet:
I don't know, I'm 3/4 through Clash of Kings and really enjoying it. The first three books all get great reviews and the fourth is rated good, but not great. 3,000+ pages and he has a pretty good batting average.

Well, I don't want to clog up this thread any further with this side topic. But's let's just agree that different people can reach different conclusions and still be right according to their preferences.

Never, at least in this thread, suggested otherwise. It is nice there's almost universal agreement on the TV show. I agree with grossie's comment on both The Wire and The Sopranos. Due to The Sopranos' inconsistency I might put Battlestar Galactica above it. Helps to be a sci-fi fan, but not really required with this particular show.
Saw the pilot last night...bit confusing, loads of different characters, and I'm not sure who's who when they're talking about each other...but the ending was rather...intense.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
Saw the pilot last night...bit confusing, loads of different characters, and I'm not sure who's who when they're talking about each other...but the ending was rather...intense.

Adam10, it sucks you in. By the third or fourth episode you begin to figure out who is who. You are supposed to be confused at the beginning.
Yeah...saw the second one last night...I'm just a bit confused as to what happened to the original King, and how Robert became King if the male twin killed his predecessor...

...that blonde bird is WAY fitter with brown hair if you google her. The minty who taught her how to shag was far more tasty, too.

Wonder what's going to happen with the Dragon eggs...and I think the performances from the child actors is strong in this series.

Oh and why doesn't Snow have his Dad's last name just cos he's a bastard?
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
Yeah...saw the second one last night...I'm just a bit confused as to what happened to the original King, and how Robert became King if the male twin killed his predecessor...

...that blonde bird is WAY fitter with brown hair if you google her. The minty who taught her how to shag was far more tasty, too.

Wonder what's going to happen with the Dragon eggs...and I think the performances from the child actors is strong in this series.

Oh and why doesn't Snow have his Dad's last name just cos he's a bastard?

Big Grin These are all questions that get answered as the series goes along!

And I'll take Emilia Clarke with any color hair, thank you. I agree the girl who taught her is amazing, too.
Well, it is great. But the problem is coming. Next week ends the first season which will match the end of the first book. The fifth of seven planned books is coming out next month. It took over five years for Martin to finish it. So even if he finished the final volume will HBO find it's worth the money to try and produce seven seasons of the show? Will the books be finished by the time they are ready to shoot the final series? Can they keep the cast together (minus of course the surprise deaths)? This has been a great effort, but can it be sustained to give us an ending?
Last edited by mrcabernet
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:

I haven't read the books... and I don't want to. This is just too good. Last night's episode was amazing.


Agreed. This show has been brilliant since the beginning, but the last 3 episodes or so have taken it to a new level.

I'm at this point rather glad I haven't read the books because the shock value is still there for me...I was absolutely stunned at the death of Lord Stark going through.
I'm not telling anyone to read the books--though I think they're great. And I never compare books and movies. The problem is there is no ending, and I don't believe they will create one for the series. I don't think Martin would agree to that.

It's kind of as if they made the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, but the third book wasn't written yet, and there was no definite date for when it was going to come out.

On a side note winetarelli, if it's still possible to edit the thread title it should say, Game of Thrones with spoilers. We do this on another forum I'm in.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cabernet:
On a side note winetarelli, if it's still possible to edit the thread title it should say, Game of Thrones with spoilers. We do this on another forum I'm in.


Smile I was a little surprised by Ryan's spoiler there, myself! Razz Wink

Done. But may I suggest that discussion on this thread be kept to the show only in terms of spoilers. ie. It is fine to discuss a surprise twist that happened on the show, but not one that happens in the books after the most recent episode of the show has aired.
Sean Bean: Badass.

So apparently he is 52, was outside of a bar smoking with his 22 year old girlfriend who happens to be a Playboy playmate. Some guy past and made a comment to her about seeing her breasts and Sean told him where to shove it. Later, the guy came back to the bar, started an unprovoked physical altercation which Sean won but which wound up seeing Sean stabbed with glass (a bottle, I think). He accepted first aide from the bar tender but refused to go to the hospital and then ordered another drink and continued the evening out with his girlfriend.
I'm not so sure that it was a case of being of being a badass, rather it may be that he just lost his head. Wink
I watched the first three episodes last night. I enjoyed it but found it a bit confusing since I havent read any of the books. Is more of the back story told along the way or should I read the books and then watch the rest of the show?
<slight overall plot spoiler Very high level>
the book is just about the same

the show has so far been very true to the book.

heck even the cut scenes over to the other storylines feels like it matches the book exactly.

The dialog too.

The first book is over 1000 pages, so you can imagine it takes time to build up a whole story.

But where's the overview to follow along.

There's 1 overall story line, 3 main story lines- with 2 that spawn off it, and 2 side stories that have been revealed in the show so far.

The overall is that everyone is fighting for the iron throne.

3 major story lines where everything spawns off are:
Starks involvement
Lannisters involvement
Targaryen involvement
with 2 side plots that spawn off it
-Littlefinger
-Baratheon family

There's also 3 side stories that sneak in there but really ins't part of hte major story line but will form significant side stories.
Jon snow and the night watch
and another 2 other fun little plots that I won't spoil as the show hasn't gotten there yet.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
I watched the first three episodes last night. I enjoyed it but found it a bit confusing since I havent read any of the books. Is more of the back story told along the way or should I read the books and then watch the rest of the show?

Just watch the show. You don't need to read the book, though excellent as it is.
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
I'm not so sure that it was a case of being of being a badass, rather it may be that he just lost his head. Wink


Big Grin
A lot of great lines in this. "Surely there must be a way to kill me that is less detrimental to the war effort" Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
A lot of great lines in this. "Surely there must be a way to kill me that is less detrimental to the war effort" Big Grin

The stampede scene that followed was funny as hell. And I wish they had shown a tad more fighting scenes instead of tiny glimpse of it every now and then.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
A lot of great lines in this. "Surely there must be a way to kill me that is less detrimental to the war effort" Big Grin


His character makes the film. He must have felt he hit the jackpot when he scored that part.
Im all caught up and really enjoying the series. I was very caught off guard by the beheading. Are they setting up the imp as an anti-hero?

Referencing a comment above about the books. Is there really no ending? I hate it when a show doesnt wrap stuff up . . . cough . . . Sopranos . . . cough. If there is no ending is the guy writing another book or is he just leaving it hanging?
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
Im all caught up and really enjoying the series. I was very caught off guard by the beheading. Are they setting up the imp as an anti-hero?

Referencing a comment above about the books. Is there really no ending? I hate it when a show doesnt wrap stuff up . . . cough . . . Sopranos . . . cough. If there is no ending is the guy writing another book or is he just leaving it hanging?

The Sopranos had an ending--it was just terrible. The difference here, as I've said in earlier posts, is that there currently is no ending. It's a planned seven book series with the fifth one coming out next month. Each book ends with a dramatic event, but it is not a wrap up. So the final episode on Sunday will end with dramatic events, but no conclusion. The same thing will happen when the second series comes out next year. And it will continue for as many books as they are willing to finance to adapt to the series. Going by Martin's current track record for releasing the books we may be looking to 2020 before the books are finished let alone the TV series.
Think I might just watch this last episode then and call it a day. Glad I never invested my time in the Sopranos if that's the case, as well. I tried the pilot but went off rather quickly. Now - True Blood starting in a month. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cabernet:
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
Im all caught up and really enjoying the series. I was very caught off guard by the beheading. Are they setting up the imp as an anti-hero?

Referencing a comment above about the books. Is there really no ending? I hate it when a show doesnt wrap stuff up . . . cough . . . Sopranos . . . cough. If there is no ending is the guy writing another book or is he just leaving it hanging?

The Sopranos had an ending--it was just terrible. The difference here, as I've said in earlier posts, is that there currently is no ending. It's a planned seven book series with the fifth one coming out next month. Each book ends with a dramatic event, but it is not a wrap up. So the final episode on Sunday will end with dramatic events, but no conclusion. The same thing will happen when the second series comes out next year. And it will continue for as many books as they are willing to finance to adapt to the series. Going by Martin's current track record for releasing the books we may be looking to 2020 before the books are finished let alone the TV series.


Im understanding a little bit better now. So each season is one book, with only 4 out and HBO's standard slow production time this will run out of steam before its finished so I should just go ahead and start reading the books which really wont be that much faster. Wink
I dont know what it should be but I am rooting for the horse dudes kid. I love he calls his unborn son "The Stallion that will mount the world" Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
When I hear dues ex machina I think about something totally ridiculous. Like the old Gods bringing Ned back to life.


the fact that the story would end if the son was born because he's the prophecy of "The Stallion that will mount the world" is simply a cope out.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
When I hear dues ex machina I think about something totally ridiculous. Like the old Gods bringing Ned back to life.

How did you know? Eek
I am simply making a conjecture stating that the author would be pulling an out of nowhere ending to if the prophecy was fulfilled since the last three books have not stated the ending.

Actually even if you followed the book, we still don't know what would truly happen, but I for one would be really disappointed.
Last edited by g-man
quote:
Originally posted by Gundam:
Anyone remember if there was ever a scene in which the king DID NOT drank... or rather gulped wine ?
Drinking water, I would imagine, is less common.

I just got caught up with this series, and so far so good. It was a bit of adjustment with the references -- couldn't tell if the characters were referring to their kingdoms, enemies, or their friends.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
how so? your post is more of a spoiler then mine, how about editing it =)

I am simply making a conjecture stating that the author would be pulling an out of nowhere ending to if the prophecy was fulfilled since the last three books have not stated the ending.

Actually even if you followed the book, we still don't know what would truly happen, but I for one would be really disappointed.

At least I have a warning.

When I first read it in the book my first thought was perhaps we would follow the adventures that lead the Stallion to rule Westeros. I did not see his birth as being an end to the story. We will have to see.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×