French Complain About Korbel "Champagne" at Inauguration.

quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
So the "You can't fly over our airspace when you attack Qaddafi" authorities complain. Good! Maybe they ought to save their complaints for what's going on in Paris.


I agree. I also agree that the Chinese should be able to copy Microsoft and other proprietory software and use them for free. Otherwise, we are nit picking. Wink
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes. Only the finest champagne should be served at President Obama's inauguration celebrations, and in my opinion, the Inaugural Committee made the right call."

What?

VM
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes.VM


LOL LOL LOL

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes.VM


LOL LOL LOL

PH


PH, never ever underestimate stupidity. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes.VM


LOL LOL LOL

PH


PH, never ever underestimate stupidity. Wink


The guy is a Congressman. What do you expect?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But then I repeat myself."
-- Mark Twain
quote:
So the "You can't fly over our airspace when you attack Qaddafi" authorities complain. Good! Maybe they ought to save their complaints for what's going on in Paris.

LOL

With that champagne, are they going to serve any "domestic swiss" or "parmesan" cheese that's made in Wisconsin?
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
So the "You can't fly over our airspace when you attack Qaddafi" authorities complain. Good! Maybe they ought to save their complaints for what's going on in Paris.


I agree. I also agree that the Chinese should be able to copy Microsoft and other proprietory software and use them for free. Otherwise, we are nit picking. Wink


LOL
well said mimik!
quote:
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes. Only the finest champagne should be served at President Obama's inauguration celebrations, and in my opinion, the Inaugural Committee made the right call."


I'm guessing this guy drinks a lot of "Scotch" from a plastic bottle.

Having recently forced some Korbel upon some friends during a blind bubbly tasting, I think I can say that the French shouldn't only be complaining about this, everyone at the inauguration who has to taste this should be complaining as well!
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
Think "bottle Shock" will not apply, unless the folks get shocked out of their shorts.

Also: French Onion soup with GA onions.
Escargot for Mississippi
Ice Wine from WS
Cognac from Chicago


how about eiswine from canada?
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
Think "bottle Shock" will not apply, unless the folks get shocked out of their shorts.

Also: French Onion soup with GA onions.
Escargot for Mississippi
Ice Wine from WS
Cognac from Chicago


how about eiswine from canada?


they are not part of the US yet. LOL
Of all the Korbel sparklers, "Natural" is the best. It's on the sweet side of things for me now but use to drink this by the case in the 70's and 80's before I could afford Champagne. My wife and I bought a bottle of Natural around New Years this year to see how it tasted since we haven't had it in 20 plus years. I'll stick with vintage Champagne.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes. Only the finest champagne should be served at President Obama's inauguration celebrations, and in my opinion, the Inaugural Committee made the right call."

What?

VM


I think in legal terms that is called "puffing."
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
Of all the Korbel sparklers, "Natural" is the best. It's on the sweet side of things for me now but use to drink this by the case in the 70's and 80's before I could afford Champagne. My wife and I bought a bottle of Natural around New Years this year to see how it tasted since we haven't had it in 20 plus years. I'll stick with vintage Champagne.

Too bad you didn't invest all that money you spent on Korbel in the 70's and 80's on IBM stock. Wink
I get their point but it's also a great way to spark up some discussion in the post-holiday period when people aren't drinking a lot of Champagne from anywhere.

It doesn't matter all that much to most Americans who will continue to call any sparkling wine "champagne". Miller used to be the "Champagne of bottled beer" back in the 1960s.

Nor is it quite the same as ripping off Microsoft - that's a single company and a single product. It would be akin to calling the Chinese product "software from Redmond", which could be pretty much anything, just like Champagne could be pretty much anything from the region.

More importantly however, I'm wondering how far we're going to take this.

We're already happy with our "freedom fries" and I suspect the guy who coined that term had an IQ right about on par with the rep quoted above. But surely it was done to appease the sensitivities of our allies.

What about "French kiss"? Must that be re-christened? And I don't even want to go there, but what about "French" as a verb?
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
Of all the Korbel sparklers, "Natural" is the best. It's on the sweet side of things for me now but use to drink this by the case in the 70's and 80's before I could afford Champagne. My wife and I bought a bottle of Natural around New Years this year to see how it tasted since we haven't had it in 20 plus years. I'll stick with vintage Champagne.

Too bad you didn't invest all that money you spent on Korbel in the 70's and 80's on IBM stock. Wink


Yes your right, it was a lot of cases but back then, Natural was $6.99 a bottle.
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:

Miller used to be the "Champagne of bottled beer" back in the 1960s.



Still is. They are selling the bottles with the old "throwback" labels at my local grocery store right now. Says "Champagne of Beers" right on the front. I put a few bottles on ice as a joke during our recent Champagne tasting. It was going to be #5 in the line-up, but oddly, nobody wanted to taste the Champagne of beers.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×