I set up a tasting of fifteen 2007 Marlborough Sauvignons the other evening, all tasted blind with several friends - some winemakers, some retail/restaurateurs and some of the "Blessed" (viticulturists).

Many of the wines are not available in the US - so here are the TNs on five that I am pretty certain you will be able to get. It's not an exhaustive list but will give an indication of what is looking to be a fine vintage.

Lawson's Dry Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2007

Passionfruit and gooseberry aromas, red capsicum (bell pepper), lime and melon. The palate features a strong lemon/lime acidity that provides crispness on the finish. The flavours cover the full spectrum from subtle grassiness and grapefruit, through to passionfruit. Unmistakably Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc with trademark fine minerality.

Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc 2007

More in the traditional style, crisp acidity and lots of freshly cut green bell pepper with fruit ripeness and good weight on the palate. A nice depth of flavour and a long finish. A good drink now, better in 6 months.

Brancott Reserve Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2007

The wine is light straw in colour with green highlights. Gooseberry, stone fruits and red capsicum predominate, with the palate showing ripe gooseberry with refined minerality. This wine shows the traditional concentrated fruit flavours and zesty acidity.

Brancott Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2007

Light straw with green highlights. Ripe, red capsicum, gooseberry, and grapefruit with tropical fruit notes Displaying full fruit intensity. The ripe capsicum flavours meld well with the gooseberry. A well-balanced wine showing the lively, crisp acidity associated with this style.

Stoneleigh Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2007

Light straw in colour with green highlights. This wine displays good fruit intensity. Ripe citrus and passionfruit flavours dominate but still retaining that mineral complexity which is becoming a trademark of the better Marlborough makers. The palate shows balance, both ripe flavours and fresh acidity.
Original Post
G'day Piers,

No, the one with the "B" is from their "Letter Series". Indeed it is from the Brancott vineyard and is the next step up from the Reserve.

I don't think this is sold in the States but only in Aus and NZ. The "Brancott" label indeed is an US export label, for obviously they couldn't market it under their winery name (Montana).

The 2007 vintage is up there with the best (1996) - almost perfect weather all the way through and nice depth on the palate of all except the bottom level wines.

That said, the Brancott non-reserve should retail in the States for about $US 10 to $12 and is reasonable QPR at that price.

Isabel - weeeell - that's also a step up in price, but an excellent wine. One to try (Aus market available, only) would be "Skipjack" with a tuna on the label (Fesq and Co.).

Blatant promotion as clients grew the fruit for the wine - but hell, after 1000 posts I can get away with it once! At about $Aus 14/15 retail it is an excellent QPR. Another (no commercial interest this time) would be Mt Riley - more in the traditional mold - I'd take the former with steamed mussels and the latter if there was a glazing sauce.
Thanks for the notes Vinservetoo. We get the Stoneleigh and Brancott Reserve here every year, so I'll keep an eye out for the '07s. The '07 Kim Crawford was just released here so I'm sure I'll give it a try too.

BTW, you've been an infrequent poster lately?

Add Reply

Likes (0)