Fine Watches

I know some on these boards are watch afficianados. My brother is considering a Tiffany's watch that is Swiss-made (some kind of Swiss certification for this particular watch) self-winding, and stainless steel for $3K. His questions are: 1) quality - what is the track record on quality for Tiffany watches, 2) recommend similar watchmakers in the same price range but may be better QPR, and 3) what other considerations should my brother factor in buying the watch?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
anything with the word phillipe patek in it Big Grin

Or Patek Philippe. Seriously though, I'm always wary of jewelry companies that decide to add a branded watch to their portfolio.
What style of watch is he looking for? One of the 1 lb. hunks of metal that are all the rage or a more slim and elegant style?
Personally, I'm an Omega man. It makes me feel like James Bond Smile
I never really heard of tiffany's as a watch name btw, probably end up paying more for the overpriced rocks. Cartier would be in the same range and probably a better watch maker too.

I've seen a Jaeger-Le Coultre for 3k in hong kong but i believe it might have been uhh certified preowned.

The patek's start at like 15k so it was a joke (but it'll be my retirement watch some day)

I personally have an omega deville and a seamaster. Both of them steel. Mass produced, but they look nice and have a great feel =)

And of course, Rolex has a great marketing brand and everyone has heard of a Rolie
The most popular or well known choices frequently are not what the true aficionado would select. Watches, like anything, are quite a personal thing. Audemars Piguet (owned and loved), Blancpain, Chopard, Franck Mueller, IWC, Jaeger-Le Coultre, Patek Phillipe are all high quality names. Pieces in your brother's price range should include Breitling, Cartier, Ebel, Omega and Rolex.

I've owned a Tag-Heuer for years and still love it. Purchased about 14 years ago, the one time I've had an issue with it, T-H repaired and returned for a very minimal fee. I would not hesitate to buy another.
Snipes is correct, buy the manufacturer not the same watch rebranded with the Tiffany logo. And I also agree with g-man. If I was going to buy a new watch and spend a couple of grand, it would be on a Patek. I've dithered over the years on whether or not to buy one and finally decided not to. Years ago I started to collect vintage watches. There are pluses and minuses going the vintage watch route. Just be sure that he whatever he buys, he does it from a legitimate distributor and not through the gray market. I believe Tiffany sells Patek, although perhaps not at all locations.
Tiffany's is a jeweler, not a watchmaker. Same goes for Cartier. If he's looking for a slim, elegant watch try Jaquet Droz - it will definitely be a unique standout masterpiece and not something recognizable by the proletariat. If you're looking for something a little different but also not easily recognizable, go for an Ulysse Nardin. Take a look at IWC watches as well - perfect balance on all fronts; would be my pick in the price range. If you get a Breitling, Rolex, blah blah blah, well, that's about it - blah blah blah.
quote:
Originally posted by tanglenet:
My pricing is old. They use to start at $2,250 and go up from there. I don't know what the entry level is any more. It might be double. The less expensive model (if I remember correctly) looks like the Calatrava 5116.

http://www.patek.com/

Believe the Calatrava line is all upwards of $12K or so at this point, maybe more like $15Kish retail.
I have an interest in watches that nearly matches my wine habit (read: problem). I own a number of manufacturers and can agree with the general advice you are receiving:
    Go with a watch manufacturer, not a "label"
    Tag is an excellent value - I own 3 - no issues with any of them
    Rolex is not really a great timepiece (if that's important to you) -- more of a status symbol. Most are also clunky
    Blancpain (big fan - only own 1, but love it) is great - you'll have a very difficult time at your price point
    Ulysses Nardin = good suggestion! Not sure of pricing...
    Armand Nicollet is nice - buy from a good dealer as a friend had dealer-service issues
    Chopard, Corum (unique, not for everyone), Concord, IWC (low price-point for IWC),and Ebel are all fine
Thanks for all the feedback so far! My brother wants to stay in the $3K range and was actually looking for a new one for his wife and their anniversary. I will have him look at all the suggestions, and I may even want to buy one for myself if the price is right.
My twin brother (w & a)and I have been smitten with the wine and watch bug. I agree with all the comments above.

I wear a Rolex that belonged to my father as my daily timepiece. I have a Tag for travelling and holidays, and a Audemars Piguet Star Wheel
for special occassions. Other than the Tag, the others are not in your brothers price range unless you buy from a reputable jeweller second hand.

I find watches like art. It's hard to buy for someone else. It's a very personal purchase and I think you have to try them on before making any commitment.

I'm interested to know what he settles on. I'm sure it will mean something special in any event.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
My twin brother (w & a)and I have been smitten with the wine and watch bug. I agree with all the comments above.

I wear a Rolex that belonged to my father as my daily timepiece. I have a Tag for travelling and holidays, and a Audemars Piguet Star Wheel
for special occassions. Other than the Tag, the others are not in your brothers price range unless you buy from a reputable jeweller second hand.

I find watches like art. It's hard to buy for someone else. It's a very personal purchase and I think you have to try them on before making any commitment.

I'm interested to know what he settles on. I'm sure it will mean something special in any event.

As your twin, it seems to me it is now MY time to have Dad's watch for the next 20+ years.

I will forward Moms Casio to you in exchange.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
...and a Audemars Piguet Star Wheel
for special occasions.

Audemars is often referred to as a 'watchmaker's watch'. Very finely made but often unappreciated by people other than those who 'know' watches. Smile

which means they're WAAAY out of the 3k price range =)
quote:
The most popular or well known choices frequently are not what the true aficionado would select. Watches, like anything, are quite a personal thing. Audemars Piguet (owned and loved), Blancpain, Chopard, Franck Mueller, IWC, Jaeger-Le Coultre, Patek Phillipe are all high quality names.

Breguet Cool

There is only one problem with them.

I will have one incredible cellar and a seriously fast German or Italian car before I ever own one. (To be fair, the type XX line does start around 6k, and the basic gold watch is about 12k but really... where is the fun in those? Wink )
Over breakfast today, I was reading an ad for the Rolex Daytona which can 'perfectly measure elapsed time and calculate average speed... [it] sets the standard for those with a passion for driving and elegance.' Who cares? - I nearly had my license suspended last year (and besides my car has been telling me that for years). Why not just get to the point and tell me how powerful it will make me feel as I push that accelerator down harder!

Yesterday, there was the ad for Patek Philippe which informed me that I wouldn't actually be allowed to own it. It said something about being just a caretaker or something who would look after it for the next generation. Made me feel kind of powerless.

None of these watches seem to do what I really want - which is tell me what time it is in a straightforward, uncluttered, and direct manner. Even the Timex and Saico watches nowadays seem hopelessly cluttered with dials and irrelevant stuff.

I may have to carry on with my humble 35 year old Rolex Tudor for a bit longer. It doesn't tell time very accurately, but based on the ads I am reading lately, telling time is not what watches do anyway.

OK, time to get in the car and get going now.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
I may have to carry on with my humble 35 year old Rolex Tudor for a bit longer. It doesn't tell time very accurately, but based on the ads I am reading lately, telling time is not what watches do anyway.
Ha! I received one myself as a gift 10 years ago. I agree with you that it doesn't tell time accurately, but I do love the classic look.
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:
I wear a Casio! It is Shock Resistant, Water Resistant, Solar Recharged with No Battery Replacement Required, Atomic Time reset every 24 hours, Accurate to < tenth of a second daily.

However, recently I've been considering just using my cell phone. Cool

Same here. I alternate between my casio and my cell. I do plan to get an AP or PP (or both) Smile at some point in my life.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Latour, I have never considered that before. (or a Casio either Razz) Are you thinking an alligator band or just simple leather?

The band is made of cheap rubber, which would have been all the rage in the 17th century Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:

Latour, I have never considered that before. (or a Casio either Razz) Are you thinking an alligator band or just simple leather?

The band is made of cheap rubber, which would have been all the rage in the 17th century Smile

A rubber band on your cell phone around your wrist just seems so prosaic and unimaginative to me. Wink
My Casio watch has a rubber watch band, and my Iphone has a rubber guard around the screen. There's no need to comment on the protection of Rubber anyfurther!!! Eek So, as I said above-------Rubber would've been the rage in the 17th century! Why, because rubber wasn't invented till the 1820's+! Cool
I've been eying a Panerai and trying to resist recently... I have a 40mm breitling (aerospace) now and am curious if anyone here has small wrists (6.5cm on a big day...) with a 44mm watch case? There isn't a dealer locally so before I put too much work in I want to have an idea if I should pursue.
quote:
Originally posted by GRWino:
I've been eying a Panerai and trying to resist recently... I have a 40mm breitling (aerospace) now and am curious if anyone here has small wrists (6.5cm on a big day...) with a 44mm watch case? There isn't a dealer locally so before I put too much work in I want to have an idea if I should pursue.

I do not have a small wrist, but I'm a fan of Panerai and had excellent luck with the watch.
I am someone who doesnt wear jewlery, not even my wedding band (another story), mostly because I do surgery and am afraid I will lose it or forget it etc....but I am looking at watches, basic stuff, nothing super fancy. I have a small wrist and was wondering if anyone had experience with TAG? I like the look of a few of there watches? Good, Bad, Indifferent?
Like you, marcb, I'm not a wearer of jewelry. A watch, however, is a different animal altogether. I admit to being a big admirer of a truely well made watch. Fifteen years ago I was shopping for a nice looking, very well made, watch that I could wear often and not spend an absolute fortune on. I walked into a local fine watch retailer in Montreal intending to purchase a Breitling. The owner talked me into a TAG. I've never regretted it and it has been my 'daily' watch since the day I purchased it. Only time I had an issue, I wrote TAG about it. The addressed the issue immediately. They stand behind their product. I've nothing but good to say about them. A lot of bang for the buck, IMO.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
I am someone who doesnt wear jewlery...I do surgery and am afraid I will lose it or forget it etc...

Big Grin Try to explain that to a patient.

Thanks for the info! Luckily I deal with small area's Wink
quote:
quote:
I am someone who doesnt wear jewlery, not even my wedding band (another story), mostly because I do surgery and am afraid I will lose it or forget it etc....but I am looking at watches, basic stuff, nothing super fancy. I have a small wrist and was wondering if anyone had experience with TAG? I like the look of a few of there watches? Good, Bad, Indifferent?

TAG is a solid choice.

Which model are you looking at?

Any of the square shaped models...I do like the "golf" one, very basic and not terribly fancy.
quote:

TAG is a solid choice.

Any of the square shaped models...I do like the "golf" one, very basic and not terribly fancy.

Excellent.

I have an IWC Da Vinci which is a rectangle with a simple leather band I get a lot of comments on.
quote:
quote:

TAG is a solid choice.

Excellent.

I have an IWC Da Vinci which is a rectangle with a simple leather band I get a lot of comments on.

Yes, that is a lovely watch. I like the round styles but think, maybe, the square shape may look a little better on my small wrist. I also like a leather or rubber band personally
quote:
quote:
quote:

TAG is a solid choice.

Excellent.

Yes, that is a lovely watch. I like the round styles but think, maybe, the square shape may look a little better on my small wrist. I also like a leather or rubber band personally

I have too many watches. I'm going to trade the Da Vinci to KSC02. Wink
quote:
quote:

Funny...I just stumbled across this last posting.

So....what about that Da Vinci? Cool Razz
Did I miss seeing this when you were up last?
quote:
quote:
quote:

Funny...I just stumbled across this last posting.

So....what about that Da Vinci? Cool Razz
Did I miss seeing this when you were up last?

I wore the IWC Da Vinci to Chicago. You made a comment on it, which is why I was talking about trading it to you. Wink
I have 3 IWC/Schaffhausen, circa 1930's, that I inherited from my dad (as well as a Doxa and an Ancre, both gold). They're the wind-up kind, with about 36 hrs/wind. I've never had them cleaned or serviced, and they still run surprisingly accurately for watches of this age. I wear them occasionally just because they remind me of my father.

I have a few newer watches of my own that I bought over the years; my favorite is 1986 Omega Seamaster Titanium, which is extremely lightweight and comfortable. I've always preferred thinner and lighter watches, I think.
quote:
quote:
D gave me a Hamilton Jazzmaster Cushion for Christmas.

This watch was entirely off my radar and I love it. I've truly learned a lot from her value system.

Excellent...what type of band? (leather, metal, skin?)

It was displayed with a brown leather (alligator pattern) band (as shown in the link) but D insisted they change it for the same in black. With the black face, I like her choice.
Ok guys/gals...Im thinking of getting the TAG Carrera Automatic, brown leather strap with the silver/white face...thoughts? Anyone have this watch? Problems?

I really would like a IWC, the Davinci to be specific, brown face, but the cost is a little bit more than I can convince my better half to spend
quote:
Ok guys/gals...Im thinking of getting the TAG Carrera Automatic, brown leather strap with the silver/white face...thoughts? Anyone have this watch? Problems?

I really would like a IWC, the Davinci to be specific, brown face, but the cost is a little bit more than I can convince my better half to spend

Found a picture of the TAG online; I think it is very nice looking, cannot tell you more than that.
quote:
Hope this works..

http://www.authenticwatches.com/wv211afc6181.html

Computers and me dont agree...

Excellent option...and the red/brown is the new black, which I love. Cool

I have a MONTBLANC with this color band, and I like it for a change of pace.

I love my IWC Da Vinci ( black band) but think your choice is excellent.

I also have a Tag, and never a problem, other than failing to have the gaskets changed out. Red Face

Wearing my Omega Seamaster today for casual Friday, but that belongs in a different thread! Big Grin
Thanks W+A, some fine watches you have there. This will be my universal/every day watch. Its simple but elegant in my opinion, part of which matches my personality...simple that is!

That brings me to another question as jewlery/watches are not something I dabble in very much...you eluded to changing gaskets...is maintenance a must on these type of watches...and is it costly?
A lovely watch marcb7. I like the clean lines, it's hard for me to see how thick it is from the picture. I'm an Omega man, but I assume the maintenance is similar for TAG. The suggestion is to send it in for a tune up every 4 years I believe. It's not cheap ~$300 IIRC. I'm at about 6 years on my Seamaster James Bond model and haven't had it serviced yet, but will at some point as I my son (4 yrs) has already called dibs on it when he turns 21. No issues and mine never comes off when in the ocean or pool.
1905 18K 56mm Patek pocket watch (bought at auction).
1929 SS Elgin pocket watch (a beautiful bday present from my gf).
Both still keep their time beautifully.

She has a Cartier Santos 100 Carbon edition.

One of these days, when I sell my interest in the company, I will buy a Harry Winston Opus 11.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:

One of these days, when I sell my interest in the company, I will buy a Harry Winston Opus 11.

i absolutely love the patek pocket watches. talk about elegance in a time piece, alas one I don't have enough disposable income to purchase . maybe when I sell enough tea ;-)
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:

i absolutely love the patek pocket watches. talk about elegance in a time piece, alas one I don't have enough disposable income to purchase . maybe when I sell enough tea ;-)

To be honest, I have gravitated towards the pocket watch because the market for them at the time of purchase was depressed. There was no way I could have purchased a Patek wristwatch in that condition, that size and with that provenance for what I was able to get the pocket watch for. I bought at auction in HK and I was only competing with one other bidder... Compared to the vintage Patek wristwatches which had multiple bidders and were quickly over estimate. It's closer than you realize... Keep selling that tea!
quote:
http://www.omegawatches.com/ge...meter/23113422102001

I really like this Omega too...have never really looked at these watches before. No idea the price or the size...I have a small wrist so its a challenge.

Wow that's a beauty. Don't know the price either, but TAG and Omega run in the same general pricing circles. There are plenty of online sites that should give you ballpark pricing for most any watch you are interested in. My suggestion is to ensure you are buying from an authorized retailer and get all the authentic paperwork etc.
quote:
Thanks W+A, some fine watches you have there. This will be my universal/every day watch. Its simple but elegant in my opinion, part of which matches my personality...simple that is!

That brings me to another question as jewlery/watches are not something I dabble in very much...you eluded to changing gaskets...is maintenance a must on these type of watches...and is it costly?

marcb7, I have too many watches really, but whatever. I have a friend wanting my Panerai, so I may have one less soon. Wink

I was swimming a few years ago and noticed my TAG was fogging up. I had not had it serviced, and found out the gaskets were not tight anymore, thus the fogging issue.

Expensive lesson. Frown

I like Omega more than TAG for some reason, but both are solid, and like both of your choices a lot!
Nice watches you're looking at marcb.

I've had a TAG since 1987. Had it serviced twice during that time. I've done nothing more than treat it respectfully and send it in when it stops (as others, this then results in changing all the seals, etc. A thorough general cleaning (approx $400). Never had an issue with it but once within its' first couple of years and TAG resolved the issue without issue and without cost. I've nothing but positive experiences with them. My other watch is a Hamilton that D gave me last Xmas and I've tended to wear that most often these days. Larger size (which I like) and great for casual/business.

Enjoy your watch. I'm not a fan of ANY type of jewelery (rings, necklace, etc) on my body. But a watch...that's different!
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
This is an informative thread. Thanks to all posters.

I am not particularly into watches - just an old Movado that I have had since law school graduation in the 90s (from FKG's parents) and a cheap digital watch for skiing, traveling and outdoor activities.

I used to have a Movado. The infamous gold color band and body, black face devoid of anything but the gold hands. Had it a few years until one day I lifted my wrist to see the time and saw the hour hand literally just fall to the bottom of the crystal.

Warranted or not, I've never given even a passing glance at a Movado since.
quote:
quote:

I am not particularly into watches - just an old Movado that I have had since law school graduation in the 90s (from FKG's parents) and a cheap digital watch for skiing, traveling and outdoor activities.

I used to have a Movado. The infamous gold color band and body, black face devoid of anything but the gold hands. Had it a few years until one day I lifted my wrist to see the time and saw the hour hand literally just fall to the bottom of the crystal.

I have that one - silver and gold band. Had it over 14 years, other than battery replacement, no issue. Worn daily
For me:
Rolex Daytona
Patek-Phillipe Calatrava (very thin)
Cartier Roadster chronograph (black-face)
Chaumet chronograph (black-face)
Timex Ironman (for work)

Next on the wish list: Panerai!

Wife wears a Cartier Roadster (white-face) or
Franck Muller Long Island (gorgeous)
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
For me:
Rolex Daytona
Patek-Phillipe Calatrava (very thin)
Cartier Roadster chronograph (black-face)
Chaumet chronograph (black-face)
Timex Ironman (for work)

Wonderful list of timepieces!

Which Panerai you thinking about?

Wife wears a Cartier Roadster (white-face) or
Franck Muller Long Island (gorgeous)
quote:
Yeah Thanks!

Have any of you purchased from any online sites that are trust worthy? If so, how does warranty, service etc work?

If you buy from an "authorized" dealer they generally have to advertise the watch at the "list price". If you contact them they will give you a price break, but less likely on a limited edition piece. Also buying from an authorized dealer ensures your watch is covered by the maker.

With that said there are other retailers that are not "authorized" that will offer their own warranty. They also advertise the watches at a discount. If they are reputable then comes down to choice. The only problem is if that retailer goes out of business, so does your warranty.
quote:

I was swimming a few years ago and noticed my TAG was fogging up. I had not had it serviced, and found out the gaskets were not tight anymore, thus the fogging issue.

Expensive lesson. Frown

I had the same experience while swimming with one of my TAG's about a year ago. Though I recall having the gasket replaced not being all that pricey.
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wine doc:

QUOTE]

I would like one that is simple and clean. Luminor or Luminor Marina models are very attractive.
quote:
quote:

I bought my wife the black Movado Museum for her birthday about 20 years ago. Other than a couple of straps that wore out, it's performed flawlessly (it has been serviced a couple of times as well). To my eye, it is still one of the most elegant of watches.

My favorite watch is an Omega Seamaster Titanium, circa 1986. I've had my eye on a gold Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra mid-size for a while now, but there always seems to be something other than a watch that I want more.
quote:
I'm not a fan of ANY type of jewelery (rings, necklace, etc) on my body. But a watch...that's different!

+1. I actually feel naked when I walk out the door without a watch.

I have two watches that were given to me as college graduation gifts over twenty years ago - Cartier Tank and a Rolex Tudor (entry level watch that isn't sold in the US). Both are completely different but have classic looks. The Cartier has a leather strap with a gold face while the Tudor is mostly stainless steel with touches of gold. The leather strap is a bit pricey to replace ($100?) so I try not to wear the watch too often in the summer when I perspire more easily. I think I've serviced them every 7-10 years. It's not cheap so I try to minimize the exposure to moisture and dust.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
I'm not a fan of ANY type of jewelery (rings, necklace, etc) on my body. But a watch...that's different!

+1. I actually feel naked when I walk out the door without a watch.

I have two watches that were given to me as college graduation gifts over twenty years ago - Cartier Tank and a Rolex Tudor (entry level watch that isn't sold in the US). Both are completely different but have classic looks. The Cartier has a leather strap with a gold face while the Tudor is mostly stainless steel with touches of gold. The leather strap is a bit pricey to replace ($100?) so I try not to wear the watch too often in the summer when I perspire more easily. I think I've serviced them every 7-10 years. It's not cheap so I try to minimize the exposure to moisture and dust.

DD, let me understand this. You will drop a $100+++ on a wine in the blink of an eye, but concerned you need to replace a leather band every 5-10 years on a Cartier Tank. Razz Wink
quote:
DD, let me understand this. You will drop a $100+++ on a wine in the blink of an eye, but concerned you need to replace a leather band every 5-10 years on a Cartier Tank. Razz Wink
You're right. Now that you put it that way. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
you think 7-10 years is long, wait till you hear about how long it took for him to think about renovating his bathroom when he needed it.
wise guy Smile It took me three girlfriends to realize that I needed a remodel.

the girlfriend or the house? ;-)
quote:
quote:

QUOTE]

I would like one that is simple and clean. Luminor or Luminor Marina models are very attractive.

Nice choice.

I have really enjoyed my Radiomir.
quote:
quote:
quote:

QUOTE]

Nice choice.

I have really enjoyed my Radiomir.

That's a beautiful watch! I have enough chronographs, and a simple, clean face would be a refreshing change.
Forgot to mention as far as pocket watches go...I have a Waltham pocket watch, no idea of the age, in the process of trying to find the serial number. My great grandfather gave it to me, it has beautiful etching and is cased in silver with a pattern on the back. It still works but Im not sure how good it is at keeping time.

Not sure of its monetary value or reputation...perhaps the more knowledgeable watch lovers here would know? I plan on getting it refurbished and hopefully put it to some use.
quote:
Forgot to mention as far as pocket watches go...I have a Waltham pocket watch, no idea of the age, in the process of trying to find the serial number. My great grandfather gave it to me, it has beautiful etching and is cased in silver with a pattern on the back. It still works but Im not sure how good it is at keeping time.

Not sure of its monetary value or reputation...perhaps the more knowledgeable watch lovers here would know? I plan on getting it refurbished and hopefully put it to some use.

Waltham is a relatively well known and well made pocket watch. I believe some of the Waltham watches were railroad (ie accurate) watches. In good condition, I would guess it was worth a few thousand dollars. I don't believe Waltham made more complicated watches (calendars, chronographs, etc) that would increase the price substantially.
quote:
Originally posted by wino4ever:
I am jonesing for a PAM 351 or 359 - something with the "dirty" dial and sandwiched markers. That or the Cartier Calibre. Very diff I know yet both beautiful in their own right. Man I could buy a watch every day if finances allowed...

Great watch. All this Panerai talk has me thinking twice about selling mine. Smile
quote:
W+A,

Are you thinking of getting a different one? Do reputable places allow one to trade in or up? I am a watch virgin pretty much....

Marcb7, you are one of a handful of posters here that I look forward to meeting that I have yet to meet, and hopefully soon.

I tend to enjoy the acquiring things chase often more than the owning things part of life. Wink

I have many faults, and boring quickly is only one of them.

I have a dear friend that always admires the watch if I'm wearing it. I have decided to let him have it. I think he will gain far more pleasure than I from it over the years.

Now please understand, this does not preclude me from buying one again. Red Face
I look forward to it as well W+A.

Ill have you know that I am currently wearing my new purchase...TAG Carerra Twin Time with Alligator strap...still getting used to it but I will say I dont think it will take long! My wife has a champagne picked out to celebrate when the kids go to bed...she certanly has her priorities in the right place Smile

Your friend is a lucky man! I checked out places to buy a Panerai, not an easy watch to aquire.
By the way...I found out the age of my pocket watch...1925-26...encased in silver and its still works! I dont really care what its worth but somewhere in the 3-400$ ball park according to the jeweler...priceless if you ask me as my great grandfather used to use it on a daily basis!
quote:
I look forward to it as well W+A.

Ill have you know that I am currently wearing my new purchase...TAG Carerra Twin Time with Alligator strap...still getting used to it but I will say I dont think it will take long! My wife has a champagne picked out to celebrate when the kids go to bed...she certanly has her priorities in the right place Smile

Your friend is a lucky man! I checked out places to buy a Panerai, not an easy watch to aquire.

Well played marcb7, and I think your wife is very wise. Wink
quote:
quote:

Wine doc, did you ever buy this watch?

I love these watches...glad there isnt a store in my neck of the woods.
quote:
quote:

Wine doc, did you ever buy this watch?

No, not yet!
House renovations put this on the back burner.
But, the holiday season is upon us! Wink
quote:
quote:
Are there any opinions on Bell & Ross, watches?

I like the look of Panerai much more...but thats my opinion. Was hoping they had a store in Vegas but they dont... Frown

I finally gave my Panerai to my friend that just loved the watch more than I did, but I have decided to add a watch or two ( Smile) that are different than my current watches.

I'm thinking about a Bell & Ross WWI 90 Grande Date & Reserve de Marche, or the Panerai Radiomir 45mm. I'm experienced with Panerai, but was looking for insight to Bell & Ross overall quality, not style preference.

TIA.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I don't quite understand the need for these elite watches. I have a gold Movado and a gold LeCoultre and I hardly ever wear them. I find no fault with my $250 watches. They keep great time and look good enough for me.

Board-O, there is no need whatsoever. I would say the same about the need for a fine German car, or the need for what some may think of as expensive art, or wine over $25, or ...

There is no need in my opinion, I just think many of us have things or hobbies we enjoy/passion that defy logic sometimes. I'm not a jewelry person at all, but have always enjoyed watches since I was a little boy. I rarely wear the same watch two days in a row, and not all of my watches would be considered expensive by any means.

I still have my beloved grandfathers pocket watch that I played with as a little boy. It was the only thing I wanted when he died at 99 years old. My grandmother told me it was always going to be mine since I was a 7 year old boy. Cool
quote:
Ah...I see. I dont know much about Bell and Ross...sorry. I like your taste however in the choices, I think you and I shopping together could be dangerous! Do they have a Bell and Ross store in LV?

I don't believe there is for either, but there is a big shop in Ceasers forum shops that has good selection of both.
Just got back my Rolex that belonged to my dad: it needed a good service after all these years. After a replaced crystal and bezel, it looks brand new. Also waiting for my AP Star Wheel to come back from the same watchmaker. It's still my favourite time piece. I wore the Sea Master down south for the wedding since I needed something to snorkel and dive with.
quote:
I still have my beloved grandfathers pocket watch that I played with as a little boy. It was the only thing I wanted when he died at 99 years old. My grandmother told me it was always going to be mine since I was a 7 year old boy. Cool

Thanks for sharing the story. I think watches, of all possessions, are great momentoes from loved ones because every time you ask about the time, the watch will always remind you of where it came.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
http://www.bellross.com/us/gallery/#/8/

One of the more unique pieces. I was close to getting it. Wife didn't like it.

Qhdeputy, with all due respect, your wife must approve of your watch? Wink

A major piece of art, okay, the style and color of your wood floors, okay, your bed, okay, but your watch? Qh, we must talk! Big Grin

I know, I know It's not totally off the radar, it just didn't get purchased the day I saw it Wink
Well W+A, here is the plan...Im taking 5K and putting it on black at the roulette wheel in Vegas, if it hits, Ill leave it for one more spin...if it hits again you and I can go shopping! If it doesnt hit....we can still go shopping...we'll just spend your money and Ill drool! I "want" a black faced Panerai watch. Cool Woot
quote:
Just got back my Rolex that belonged to my dad: it needed a good service after all these years. After a replaced crystal and bezel, it looks brand new. Also waiting for my AP Star Wheel to come back from the same watchmaker. It's still my favourite time piece. I wore the Sea Master down south for the wedding since I needed something to snorkel and dive with.

Bro, funny you mention Rolex & Dad. I had a Rolex once, but sold it within a year. Every time I wore it, I just thought of my Dad's generation. I think the same thing about Cadillac, Lincoln, Hart Schaffner Marx et al... my Dad's generation. Big Grin

If my Dad had left me a watch, I would cherish it as I know you do. I'm excited you are getting your Piguet serviced. This is truly one of the great watches in the world, period. ( envy!)

See you soon.
Oh the trials of watch owning...

1st) the Set screw on my wife's PAM111 goes. She wants to wear something else for a while and I don't feel like getting it fixed right then so...

2) She wears my Chopard Mille Miglia for a week and breaks the strap.

3) Now the pusher button on My JLC Reverso Duotime is stuck in the case and won't come back out...

I guess the one good thing about being bitten by the watch bug is you always have a back-up for your back-up's back-up! Wink I think my Heuer Daytona is about to get some love and wrist time.
I've driven the CTS-V, XLR-V, and CTS on a racetrack in Monticello, NY as a guest of Cadillac. The CTS-V is a far better handling car with more power than the M5 and with a better interior. There was a video of me driving the CTS-V on the track, but Cadillac only had them up for a limited time.

The surprises for me weren't the CTS-V, which I knew would be phenomenal, but were the XLR-V and CTS. I thought the XLR was a dumbed down 2 door for people who wanted to drive a sporty Cadillac. Was I ever wroing! The car was a monster on the track with unbelieveable handling. Under the tutelage of racing instructor, I floored it going into an S-turn at 80 mph and came out much faster with no loss of traction.

The 6 cylinder CTS, which my wife had at the time, was also impressive. What that experience taught me was what a small percentage of a car's capability we actually use.

Unequivocally, I can say the CTS-V is by far the finest car I've ever driven, better than any Audi, BMW M class, or AMG I've ever driven. I didn't buy one this time because I need a car I can drive in the snow, and my days of owning 6 cars are over.
quote:
Unequivocally, I can say the CTS-V is by far the finest car I've ever driven, better than any Audi, BMW M class, or AMG I've ever driven.

I have driven a few better, but it is world class with a capital W. The brand has come a long way. If you're considering any of the vehicles Board-O mentioned it deserves a look.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Unequivocally, I can say the CTS-V is by far the finest car I've ever driven, better than any Audi, BMW M class, or AMG I've ever driven.

I have driven a few better, but it is world class with a capital W. The brand has come a long way. If you're considering any of the vehicles Board-O mentioned it deserves a look.

PH

I agree for the most part. I still don't think the interiors are up to Euro snuff and I'm hesitent about long term durability. That said, the CTS-V is a really great car and something I would have no problem leasing.

I'm not as huge a fan of the M5 as I used to be and Audi's just aren't fast enough (other than the RS6 which never came here and would out-do all of them) but I do think the E63 and most certainly the Porsche Panamera (though at a much higher price) are better fast 4 doors than the Cadillac.
quote:
Every time I wore it, I just thought of my Dad's generation. I think the same thing about Cadillac, Lincoln, Hart Schaffner Marx et al... my Dad's generation. Big Grin

News flash, w+a!
You are now officially your Dad's generation (your kid's perspective anyway) Woot
quote:
quote:
Every time I wore it, I just thought of my Dad's generation. I think the same thing about Cadillac, Lincoln, Hart Schaffner Marx et al... my Dad's generation. Big Grin

News flash, w+a!
You are now officially your Dad's generation (your kid's perspective anyway) Woot

My dad's generation is over 70! Razz

In fact, my mom's birthday is today. She is now 73, and we are going to dinner in a few minutes. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Oh the trials of watch owning...

1st) the Set screw on my wife's PAM111 goes. She wants to wear something else for a while and I don't feel like getting it fixed right then so...

2) She wears my Chopard Mille Miglia for a week and breaks the strap.

It sounds like you need to revoke her watch-wearing privileges... just say it was the people on the boards' idea...
quote:
I was so close to getting marcb7 to buy a fine watch while we were in Vegas.

Now this said, I could not even get the man to buy a pair of Tod's for his feet.

Next time! Cool

HA! I am sooooo regretful for not buying both! I have the buisness cards of the two watch dealers so its not completely out of the question. I truly loved that Panerai....I wish we had time to go over to the Wynn to look at it...although..it would be on my wrist right now.

As far as Tod's...well, remember I live in the chilly northeast....it would be a seasonal shoe....perhaps one to mow the lawn? Big Grin
My Mother-in-law has a GP gyromatic she wears as an everyday watch. Great watch.

I almost bought a 1945 before I got my Reverso. It was a tough choice.

I'm thinking of selling on some watches I have now and am down to only legitimately wanting new 3 watches. The problem is, the cheapest of the 3 is a plain Franck Muller Casablanca and it's tough to get one of those for under $5k...
I don't know why I haven't seen this thread before. I know it is an "old man" watch (W+A) but I have a Rolex Oysterdate that I wear most of the time but my favorite watch is a simple Omega Seamaster. I also have a Constellation but thinking of selling that one. Just don't like the feel of it on my wrist. My wife loves her Raymond Weil. Fits her perfectly.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
I don't know why I haven't seen this thread before. I know it is an "old man" watch (W+A) but I have a Rolex Oysterdate that I wear most of the time but my favorite watch is a simple Omega Seamaster. I also have a Constellation but thinking of selling that one. Just don't like the feel of it on my wrist. My wife loves her Raymond Weil. Fits her perfectly.

LB, your old man Rolex is the perfect watch for the business you are in, and I completely understand your love for the Omega Seamaster.

I also love my Seamaster, and what an easy watch to wear and enjoy. I know my twin bro finally bought one. Cool
quote:
I'm not a huge fan of Patek, but excellent watches. I think Hublot is doing some interesting things currently.

Much of their work is quite conservative in nature (from a 'fashion' sense)true. However, their time pieces are unarguably timeless.
I first learned of Hublot through a Jay-Z song. Rap gives me so much culture…. Wink

I have been looking at the IWC Portuguese Chronograph with the stainless steel case and blue alligator strap. Can’t pull the trigger now as we have some other things going on, but if our stock price can make a move that thing is mine.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:

IWC Portuguese Chronograph with the stainless steel case

I was trying to get marcb7 to buy this watch in Vegas.

You were? Was I hammered? Damn...Vegas is a frickin blur. I like IWC alot...but my heart is still set on Panerai Cool
quote:
quote:
I'm not a huge fan of Patek, but excellent watches. I think Hublot is doing some interesting things currently.

Much of their work is quite conservative in nature (from a 'fashion' sense)true. However, their time pieces are unarguably timeless.

Timeless for sure.

I would select Vacheron Constantin over Patek for such a style, but you can not go wrong with either.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Timeless for sure.

I would select Vacheron Constantin over Patek for such a style, but you can not go wrong with either.

I would add Breguet to that list if you are looking for simple, elegant, timeless watches in that sphere. That said, if you’re going for a timeless dress watch IMHO it is hard to beat a Patek Calatrava.

There are a lot of Pateks that to me aren’t timeless, they speak (at least to me) of a very specific era. I think these are the ones I like the best! The Ellipse is a pure “1968 driving your Ferrari Daytona down to Nice” watch. Love it. The Nautilus is “1987 sitting on Wall Street and smirking at the guys wearing their Rolexes and Royal Oaks who up until they saw your watch though they were the power brokers in the room”. Iconic.

I love the Ellipse, but my wife hates it… A Nautilus though is definitely on my short bucket list of watches I want to own.
Like many people, I have never owned a "fine watch". $200 was the most I had ever spent on a watch, but reading this forum and seeing the passion with which some of you discuss the topic motivated me to take the plunge.

I started at what I'm certain many 'watch connoisseurs' would consider the low end of the scale but nonetheless am pleased with my IWC GST Alarm in titanium. Watch details here (although this is not where it was purchased).

These forums are going to break me!
I have owned a number of "fine" watches.

Currently wear a Zenith Defy Classic. It is virtually bullet-proof, impervious to scratches, unbreakable and a very accurate timekeeper. Its tactile feel is perfect, good balance on the wrist, soft durable rubber strap and with the exception of the date, very very legible. Added benefits are it is a headturner and conversation started.

By no means is it a good investment. I have never been offered even a decent trade-in.

On the other hand as storer of value, my experience indicates nothing comes close to either a Patek Philippe or Rolex. Both of those hold their value or appreciate like none other when bought even reasonably correctly.

There are many others I like and have enjoyed. So many really good choices and only 1 left wrist.
quote:
With g-man on the prowl for a Patek pocket watch, and his infamous lack of patience, I'm expecting a post of a purchase within the next month. Big Grin

the guy wouldn't budge on 500$ ;-)

and I waas going to say fine, but then I thought of a bottle or two of l'ermita that I could be drinking while looking at the watch!
quote:
quote:
With g-man on the prowl for a Patek pocket watch, and his infamous lack of patience, I'm expecting a post of a purchase within the next month. Big Grin

and I waas going to say fine, but then I thought of a bottle or two of l'ermita that I could be drinking while looking at the watch!

g-man, as I said in our text, $5000 was not a bad price at all, but much like wine, there will always be a different watch for sale. Cool
quote:
quote:
quote:

g-man, as I said in our text, $5000 was not a bad price at all, but much like wine, there will always be a different watch for sale. Cool

that was what i woudl went up to

but 5k$ + 25% buyers + 10% tax + 2.5% cc charge is no longer 5k ;-)
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
Just wanted to renew the battery of my old watch, but couldn't resist a Herbelin Newport Trophy Grand Sport 36796, dont know if it qualifies for a "fine watch", but looks good.

43mm?

43x43x11 not exactly tiny
quote:
quote:
quote:
Just wanted to renew the battery of my old watch, but couldn't resist a Herbelin Newport Trophy Grand Sport 36796, dont know if it qualifies for a "fine watch", but looks good.

43mm?

43x43x11 not exactly tiny

While not tiny, not large based on today's standards. Wink

I hope it is a great watch for you, Moselle.

I bought a new watch while in Italy this month. Just what I needed.
quote:
quote:
My brother-in-law has 2 Patek' (18k) and just got a Hublot Big Bang blue dial.

Went to see the Hublot Big Bang series as I found them quite nice, they are certainly not cheap watches Eek ....
I also looked at Panerai....

You guys are going to get me divorced if I go thru with this mad idea of mine... Bang
Finally received the quote for fixing my JLC Reverso (it’s a duotime and the pusher for changing the hours on one of the faces broke plus it needed a regular service). They had to send it to the factory in Switzerland for the quote which took 7 weeks. They expect it to be ready in 14-20 weeks… To make matters worse, I had to sit down when they gave me the quote.

Oh the joys…
quote:
Originally posted by Vinaigre:
quote:
Which Panerai did you look at?

Several, but the Luminor 1950 GMT series is one that interests me a lot.

Vinaigre, if it matters to you, the Panerai's are holding their value like few watches in their price range.

Also, if you decide on Hublot, my watch guy may be able to get you a good price. KSC02 & Steve8 have my email. The market for Panerai is very set currently.

Let me know if I can help.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Vinaigre:
quote:
Which Panerai did you look at?

Several, but the Luminor 1950 GMT series is one that interests me a lot.

Vinaigre, if it matters to you, the Panerai's are holding their value like few watches in their price range.

Also, if you decide on Hublot, my watch guy may be able to get you a good price. KSC02 & Steve8 have my email. The market for Panerai is very set currently.

Let me know if I can help.

I can't remember is the 1950 GMT a 44mm or 47mm?

I have a pam111 which is 44mm and while big has turned into my wife's everyday watch. The 47mm on the other hand are too big. I had a pam127 until it became too expensive to wear but as much as I loved it, it was always too big on my wrist (and only some shirts went over it which was a pain).

That said, panerai's have such a huge following that resale prices are robust and it's easy to trade/sell out of the watch. If you are looking I would go to paneristi.com and buy one there. Best bang for the buck.
I'm officially in the market for my first "serious" watch. The three that I really like so far are:
1. Panerai Radiomir 8 Day Pink Gold PAM197 (or white gold - just haven't seen one yet)
2. IWC Portuguese Automatic White Gold - its got an awesome grey dial that is contemporary yet timeless.
3. Patek Nautilus - tried all three watches on and this is the one I liked the least on my wrist. Kinda surprising but I have just started the process and in no rush.

Any Toronto gents have any recommendations? I'm also going to be in Nassau in September and S. Korea in October for a wedding if anyone has any purchase advice? TIA
Dunno if there are any forum guidelines looking askance at this. I'm divesting myself of a portion of my vintage Rolex collection. My collection grew larger than I expected, and I'm looking to consolidate into a handful of pieces. If anyone's interested, I've got the following posted (or soon to be) on a well-known Rolex forum:

Red 1680 Submariner with box, papers and accessories - 3.1M serial equates to a 1971 or 1972 date of manufacture/sale

Matte dial transitional 16800 Submariner complete set - 8.3M serial with guarantee paperwork indicating watch was originally sold in 1984

1655 Explorer II "Steve McQueen" (or more accurately, the "Freccione") orange hand with box, papers and booklet - 7.4M serial equals a 1982 date of manufacture

Email is epark at fusionstorm dot com in case anyone's interested........
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:

I'm officially in the market for my first "serious" watch. The three that I really like so far are:
1. Panerai Radiomir 8 Day Pink Gold PAM197 (or white gold - just haven't seen one yet)
2. IWC Portuguese Automatic White Gold - its got an awesome grey dial that is contemporary yet timeless.

Mangiare, excellent!

I have been a fan ( owned) of both Panerai and IWC for a very long time, and think both of these are great options.

Let us watch nuts know what you buy.
quote:
Originally posted by fusionstorm:
Dunno if there are any forum guidelines looking askance at this. I'm divesting myself of a portion of my vintage Rolex collection. My collection grew larger than I expected, and I'm looking to consolidate into a handful of pieces. If anyone's interested, I've got the following posted (or soon to be) on a well-known Rolex forum:

Red 1680 Submariner with box, papers and accessories - 3.1M serial equates to a 1971 or 1972 date of manufacture/sale

Matte dial transitional 16800 Submariner complete set - 8.3M serial with guarantee paperwork indicating watch was originally sold in 1984

1655 Explorer II "Steve McQueen" (or more accurately, the "Freccione") orange hand with box, papers and booklet - 7.4M serial equals a 1982 date of manufacture

Email is epark at fusionstorm dot com in case anyone's interested........

fusionstorm, while I have never been a fan of Rolex in general, nice collection indeed.

Good luck.
quote:
3. Patek Nautilus - tried all three watches on and this is the one I liked the least on my wrist. Kinda surprising but I have just started the process and in no rush.

Any Toronto gents have any recommendations? I'm also going to be in Nassau in September and S. Korea in October for a wedding if anyone has any purchase advice? TIA

The Pam197 is a really nice watch and has a JLC movement which is a huge plus in my books. It’s a very comfortable watch, understated and will hold its value. Can go with anything as well from casual polo shirt to suit.

I’m not a huge fan of the IWC, especially in white gold as you’re really paying for a material only you know is there (kind of like buying a white gold Daytona). It’s an expensive watch for what it is IMHO. It’s also not a great fit on my wrist so I may be biased… That and you see soooo many IWC Portugueses around.

I’m a great lover of the Nautilus but you have to get the right size and face to fit your needs and wrist. The jumbo is just a little too big on me and I’m a fan of the older face. If you don’t like it on your wrist what about an Aquanaut? Supremely comfortable, very versatile and you’re not going to see many other people wearing one.

In that price range I would also look at Jaeger LeCoultre. The AMVOX line is similar to what styles you’re looking at (I’m a big fan of the Aston Martin DBS Chronograph). If you like chronographs the Extreme world Chrono is a great watch (just again too big for me). As a proud Reverso owner, I have to thrown that one out as well. Such a great watch.

You could also go for a basic Royal Oak. A little clunkier, but pretty classic.

I’m also a huge fan of the pam192 Tantalium chrono, maybe one of the prettiest Panerai’s to my eyes. You might be able to get one in your price band.

If you stretch a little (or find a good deal) you’re almost in the range for a Lange 1, the Holy Grail for many and a really beautiful watch (Solaris at bay and front has one you can try on).

I would say though that if you’re going to spend that kind of money, and it’s your 1st big watch purchase I would go classic instead of popular at the moment. Classic will always be just that. You probably won’t get bored with it (which can be very expensive) whereas a, say Bell & Ross or Hubolt big bang or something like that has a higher likelihood of getting stale.
Also go to TimeZone and look through the showcase watches for sale section.

I don’t know if I would buy a new watch when I could buy at such a discount from those forumites. I’ve bought two watches off of that site and saved many thousands of dollars and both times the watches looked and acted brand new, coming with all boxes and paperwork. Many of them make us look blasé about wine in comparison!
Well said Rob and a huge +1 on Jaeger. I've had a steel Master ultrathin Jaeger for about 10 years. Was the first nice watch I've ever owned and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. Absolutely love the rest of the range too.
thanks - this will give me something to think about.
Rob - I definitely agree with the classic vs. what's in/hot right now. The one reason I like the IWC white gold is because of that greyish face.
In my virgin watch travels, it was the first I had seen and really liked it. I'm leaning toward the Panerai right now but for some reason really want to like the Patek. I'm going to try an Aquanaut.

Regarding the Royal Oak, I've been turned off lately. Not sure why but not interested.
I'm in absolutely no rush.

Thanks for the TimeZone referral. Cool
quote:
thanks - this will give me something to think about.
Rob - I definitely agree with the classic vs. what's in/hot right now. The one reason I like the IWC white gold is because of that greyish face.
In my virgin watch travels, it was the first I had seen and really liked it. I'm leaning toward the Panerai right now but for some reason really want to like the Patek. I'm going to try an Aquanaut.

Regarding the Royal Oak, I've been turned off lately. Not sure why but not interested.
I'm in absolutely no rush.

I know the feeling about grey face watches. My Holy Grail is a FP Journe Octa Reserve de Marche.

Go to Van Ryk on Eglinton just east of Yonge. They have a huge collection of watches (used) but you will be able to try on anything you have had your eye on. Probably wouldn't buy from there as you can probably get a better deal elsewhere (but who knows, they certainly haggle). They probably have 50+ Pateks etc...

Another one to try is a Franck Muller. The were a little trendy around 2006-9 but arn't really anymore. They are however one of the most comfortable watches in the world due to their curved case. Very nice watch and attention grabbing without being attention grabbing if you know what I mean.

Add Reply

Likes (0)