quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:


However, recently I've been considering just using my cell phone. Cool



Latour, I have never considered that before. (or a Casio either Razz) Are you thinking an alligator band or just simple leather?


The band is made of cheap rubber, which would have been all the rage in the 17th century Smile
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:


However, recently I've been considering just using my cell phone. Cool



Latour, I have never considered that before. (or a Casio either Razz) Are you thinking an alligator band or just simple leather?


The band is made of cheap rubber, which would have been all the rage in the 17th century Smile



A rubber band on your cell phone around your wrist just seems so prosaic and unimaginative to me. Wink
My Casio watch has a rubber watch band, and my Iphone has a rubber guard around the screen. There's no need to comment on the protection of Rubber anyfurther!!! Eek So, as I said above-------Rubber would've been the rage in the 17th century! Why, because rubber wasn't invented till the 1820's+! Cool
I've been eying a Panerai and trying to resist recently... I have a 40mm breitling (aerospace) now and am curious if anyone here has small wrists (6.5cm on a big day...) with a 44mm watch case? There isn't a dealer locally so before I put too much work in I want to have an idea if I should pursue.
quote:
Originally posted by GRWino:
I've been eying a Panerai and trying to resist recently... I have a 40mm breitling (aerospace) now and am curious if anyone here has small wrists (6.5cm on a big day...) with a 44mm watch case? There isn't a dealer locally so before I put too much work in I want to have an idea if I should pursue.


I do not have a small wrist, but I'm a fan of Panerai and had excellent luck with the watch.
I am someone who doesnt wear jewlery, not even my wedding band (another story), mostly because I do surgery and am afraid I will lose it or forget it etc....but I am looking at watches, basic stuff, nothing super fancy. I have a small wrist and was wondering if anyone had experience with TAG? I like the look of a few of there watches? Good, Bad, Indifferent?
Like you, marcb, I'm not a wearer of jewelry. A watch, however, is a different animal altogether. I admit to being a big admirer of a truely well made watch. Fifteen years ago I was shopping for a nice looking, very well made, watch that I could wear often and not spend an absolute fortune on. I walked into a local fine watch retailer in Montreal intending to purchase a Breitling. The owner talked me into a TAG. I've never regretted it and it has been my 'daily' watch since the day I purchased it. Only time I had an issue, I wrote TAG about it. The addressed the issue immediately. They stand behind their product. I've nothing but good to say about them. A lot of bang for the buck, IMO.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
I am someone who doesnt wear jewlery...I do surgery and am afraid I will lose it or forget it etc...

Big Grin Try to explain that to a patient.



Thanks for the info! Luckily I deal with small area's Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
I am someone who doesnt wear jewlery, not even my wedding band (another story), mostly because I do surgery and am afraid I will lose it or forget it etc....but I am looking at watches, basic stuff, nothing super fancy. I have a small wrist and was wondering if anyone had experience with TAG? I like the look of a few of there watches? Good, Bad, Indifferent?


TAG is a solid choice.

Which model are you looking at?


Any of the square shaped models...I do like the "golf" one, very basic and not terribly fancy.
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:

TAG is a solid choice.

Which model are you looking at?

Any of the square shaped models...I do like the "golf" one, very basic and not terribly fancy.




Excellent.

I have an IWC Da Vinci which is a rectangle with a simple leather band I get a lot of comments on.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:

TAG is a solid choice.

Which model are you looking at?

Any of the square shaped models...I do like the "golf" one, very basic and not terribly fancy.




Excellent.

I have an IWC Da Vinci which is a rectangle with a simple leather band I get a lot of comments on.


Yes, that is a lovely watch. I like the round styles but think, maybe, the square shape may look a little better on my small wrist. I also like a leather or rubber band personally
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:

TAG is a solid choice.

Which model are you looking at?

Any of the square shaped models...I do like the "golf" one, very basic and not terribly fancy.




Excellent.

I have an IWC Da Vinci which is a rectangle with a simple leather band I get a lot of comments on.


Yes, that is a lovely watch. I like the round styles but think, maybe, the square shape may look a little better on my small wrist. I also like a leather or rubber band personally


I have too many watches. I'm going to trade the Da Vinci to KSC02. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Yes, that is a lovely watch. I like the round styles but think, maybe, the square shape may look a little better on my small wrist. I also like a leather or rubber band personally


I have too many watches. I'm going to trade the Da Vinci to KSC02. Wink

Funny...I just stumbled across this last posting.

So....what about that Da Vinci? Cool Razz
Did I miss seeing this when you were up last?
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Yes, that is a lovely watch. I like the round styles but think, maybe, the square shape may look a little better on my small wrist. I also like a leather or rubber band personally


I have too many watches. I'm going to trade the Da Vinci to KSC02. Wink

Funny...I just stumbled across this last posting.

So....what about that Da Vinci? Cool Razz
Did I miss seeing this when you were up last?


I wore the IWC Da Vinci to Chicago. You made a comment on it, which is why I was talking about trading it to you. Wink
I have 3 IWC/Schaffhausen, circa 1930's, that I inherited from my dad (as well as a Doxa and an Ancre, both gold). They're the wind-up kind, with about 36 hrs/wind. I've never had them cleaned or serviced, and they still run surprisingly accurately for watches of this age. I wear them occasionally just because they remind me of my father.

I have a few newer watches of my own that I bought over the years; my favorite is 1986 Omega Seamaster Titanium, which is extremely lightweight and comfortable. I've always preferred thinner and lighter watches, I think.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
D gave me a Hamilton Jazzmaster Cushion for Christmas.

This watch was entirely off my radar and I love it. I've truly learned a lot from her value system.


Excellent...what type of band? (leather, metal, skin?)

It was displayed with a brown leather (alligator pattern) band (as shown in the link) but D insisted they change it for the same in black. With the black face, I like her choice.
Ok guys/gals...Im thinking of getting the TAG Carrera Automatic, brown leather strap with the silver/white face...thoughts? Anyone have this watch? Problems?

I really would like a IWC, the Davinci to be specific, brown face, but the cost is a little bit more than I can convince my better half to spend
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Ok guys/gals...Im thinking of getting the TAG Carrera Automatic, brown leather strap with the silver/white face...thoughts? Anyone have this watch? Problems?

I really would like a IWC, the Davinci to be specific, brown face, but the cost is a little bit more than I can convince my better half to spend

Found a picture of the TAG online; I think it is very nice looking, cannot tell you more than that.
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Hope this works..


http://www.authenticwatches.com/wv211afc6181.html

Computers and me dont agree...


Excellent option...and the red/brown is the new black, which I love. Cool

I have a MONTBLANC with this color band, and I like it for a change of pace.

I love my IWC Da Vinci ( black band) but think your choice is excellent.

I also have a Tag, and never a problem, other than failing to have the gaskets changed out. Red Face

Wearing my Omega Seamaster today for casual Friday, but that belongs in a different thread! Big Grin
Thanks W+A, some fine watches you have there. This will be my universal/every day watch. Its simple but elegant in my opinion, part of which matches my personality...simple that is!

That brings me to another question as jewlery/watches are not something I dabble in very much...you eluded to changing gaskets...is maintenance a must on these type of watches...and is it costly?
A lovely watch marcb7. I like the clean lines, it's hard for me to see how thick it is from the picture. I'm an Omega man, but I assume the maintenance is similar for TAG. The suggestion is to send it in for a tune up every 4 years I believe. It's not cheap ~$300 IIRC. I'm at about 6 years on my Seamaster James Bond model and haven't had it serviced yet, but will at some point as I my son (4 yrs) has already called dibs on it when he turns 21. No issues and mine never comes off when in the ocean or pool.
1905 18K 56mm Patek pocket watch (bought at auction).
1929 SS Elgin pocket watch (a beautiful bday present from my gf).
Both still keep their time beautifully.

She has a Cartier Santos 100 Carbon edition.

One of these days, when I sell my interest in the company, I will buy a Harry Winston Opus 11.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
1905 18K 56mm Patek pocket watch (bought at auction).
1929 SS Elgin pocket watch (a beautiful bday present from my gf).
Both still keep their time beautifully.

She has a Cartier Santos 100 Carbon edition.

One of these days, when I sell my interest in the company, I will buy a Harry Winston Opus 11.


i absolutely love the patek pocket watches. talk about elegance in a time piece, alas one I don't have enough disposable income to purchase . maybe when I sell enough tea ;-)
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
1905 18K 56mm Patek pocket watch (bought at auction).
1929 SS Elgin pocket watch (a beautiful bday present from my gf).
Both still keep their time beautifully.

She has a Cartier Santos 100 Carbon edition.

One of these days, when I sell my interest in the company, I will buy a Harry Winston Opus 11.


i absolutely love the patek pocket watches. talk about elegance in a time piece, alas one I don't have enough disposable income to purchase . maybe when I sell enough tea ;-)

To be honest, I have gravitated towards the pocket watch because the market for them at the time of purchase was depressed. There was no way I could have purchased a Patek wristwatch in that condition, that size and with that provenance for what I was able to get the pocket watch for. I bought at auction in HK and I was only competing with one other bidder... Compared to the vintage Patek wristwatches which had multiple bidders and were quickly over estimate. It's closer than you realize... Keep selling that tea!
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
http://www.omegawatches.com/ge...meter/23113422102001

I really like this Omega too...have never really looked at these watches before. No idea the price or the size...I have a small wrist so its a challenge.


Wow that's a beauty. Don't know the price either, but TAG and Omega run in the same general pricing circles. There are plenty of online sites that should give you ballpark pricing for most any watch you are interested in. My suggestion is to ensure you are buying from an authorized retailer and get all the authentic paperwork etc.
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Thanks W+A, some fine watches you have there. This will be my universal/every day watch. Its simple but elegant in my opinion, part of which matches my personality...simple that is!

That brings me to another question as jewlery/watches are not something I dabble in very much...you eluded to changing gaskets...is maintenance a must on these type of watches...and is it costly?



marcb7, I have too many watches really, but whatever. I have a friend wanting my Panerai, so I may have one less soon. Wink

I was swimming a few years ago and noticed my TAG was fogging up. I had not had it serviced, and found out the gaskets were not tight anymore, thus the fogging issue.

Expensive lesson. Frown

I like Omega more than TAG for some reason, but both are solid, and like both of your choices a lot!

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×