Skip to main content

2015 Querce Bettina Brunello di Montalcino - powerful and an excellent representation of Sangiovese. A buy and hold for the moment. 
2016 Querce Bettina Brunello di Montalcino - will be one of the wines to remember for 2016. Already balanced with bracing acidity but with beautiful red fruits. This reminds me very much of the glorious 2004 which has aged gracefully. 
2016 Querce Bettina Rosso di Montalcino - the best Rosso this estate has produced. Please do yourself a favor and drink this wine. IMO, better than 75% of the BdM currently available for sale. 

I also got to taste the 2019 vintage which has great potential based on what I tasted. 

With new & old friends skiing in QC:

2017 Alvear Palacio Quemado la Zarcita

2016 Col D'Orcia RdM

2017 J.L. Chave Crozes-Hermitage Rouge Silene

2017 J.L. Chave Selection Mon Coeur 

2018 Comando G Bruja des Rozas

2015 Produttori del Barbaresco

2017 Raul Perez la Clave

2017 Raventos i blanc l'Hereu Conca del Riu BdB

2017 Vietti Tre Vigne Barbera D'Asti

2014 Leclerc Briant Reserve Brut

2016 Thymiopoulos Xinomavro young vines

Nikka 'From the Barrel' Whiskey

and a whole mess of craft beers from Rimouski to Gaspe that I cant recall.... 

thelostverse posted:

We went to dinner with Mr. & Mrs. Allred at Claudia in Chicago on Saturday night and had the following with the ten course tasting menu:

1996 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Grande Cuvée
1998 Krug Vintage Brut
2010 Domaine / Maison Vincent Girardin Corton-Charlemagne
2011 Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne
1998 Domaine Trapet (Jean et Jean-Louis) Chapelle-Chambertin
2001 Gros Frère et Sœur Clos Vougeot Musigni
1998 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Rieussec

If this wasn't the best dinner I've ever had, it was certainly in the conversation. 

I forgot about a 2008 Peter Michael Chardonnay Cuvee Indigene - weird as it may have been the best bottle of the night.

billhike posted:
thelostverse posted:

We went to dinner with Mr. & Mrs. Allred at Claudia in Chicago on Saturday night and had the following with the ten course tasting menu:

1996 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Grande Cuvée
1998 Krug Vintage Brut
2010 Domaine / Maison Vincent Girardin Corton-Charlemagne
2011 Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne
1998 Domaine Trapet (Jean et Jean-Louis) Chapelle-Chambertin
2001 Gros Frère et Sœur Clos Vougeot Musigni
1998 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Rieussec

If this wasn't the best dinner I've ever had, it was certainly in the conversation. 

Wow on the wines. And also the endurance of Allred’s liver. 

Don't forget the 2008 Peter Michael Chardonnay Cuvee Indigene, which paired beautifully with the lobster dish. Claudia is great- highly recommended if you have the means and time- it was about a four hour committment. 

We ended the weekend with our Sunday group and a double blind tasting of 2013 Barolo along with some very fine dinner wines.

I am definitely ready for a night off...maybe. 

The last couple of nights we've had 2015 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast and a 2013 Rivers Marie Chardonnay Sonoma Coast.  I actually had the Kutch first two night ago, but noticed some seepage and that the capsule was holding some of the seepage.  I needed to use an Ah so to get the corked out, but I wasn't sure about the wine - it smelled like vinegar at first, but it was probably my imagination.  I decided to let it sit another day and opened the Rivers Marie.  I came back to the Kutch last night and it was singing.  Glad I didn't throw it down the sink.

thelostverse posted:

The last couple of nights we've had 2015 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast and a 2013 Rivers Marie Chardonnay Sonoma Coast.  I actually had the Kutch first two night ago, but noticed some seepage and that the capsule was holding some of the seepage.  I needed to use an Ah so to get the corked out, but I wasn't sure about the wine - it smelled like vinegar at first, but it was probably my imagination.  I decided to let it sit another day and opened the Rivers Marie.  I came back to the Kutch last night and it was singing.  Glad I didn't throw it down the sink.

Which of those two would you purchase moving forward (assuming you've had multiple bottles of each).  I buy Rivers Marie, but was interested in trying the Kutch.  Different styles or pretty similar?  

longboarder posted:

2015 Querce Bettina Brunello di Montalcino - powerful and an excellent representation of Sangiovese. A buy and hold for the moment. 
2016 Querce Bettina Brunello di Montalcino - will be one of the wines to remember for 2016. Already balanced with bracing acidity but with beautiful red fruits. This reminds me very much of the glorious 2004 which has aged gracefully. 
2016 Querce Bettina Rosso di Montalcino - the best Rosso this estate has produced. Please do yourself a favor and drink this wine. IMO, better than 75% of the BdM currently available for sale. 

I also got to taste the 2019 vintage which has great potential based on what I tasted. 

Thanks for notes LB. If the 2016 Rosso is better than the 2015 I will definitely be buying. I will no doubt also cave on the 15 Brunello.

Recently, that I can recall

2016 Stags' Leap Winery, Petit Sirah (still looking for that 'wow" I got from the 1994 way back when)

2018 JC Wickens, Chenin Blanc, Swerwer

2007 Ruffino, Modus (corked)

2007 Petrolo, IGT, Torrione

2014 Louis Michel, Chablis, Butteaux

I also had a glass of a red from an Umbrian producer I'd never heard of before. Paolo Bea.  I since checked their website and I'm not sure which wine it was but it was a 2013 sangiovese/sagrantino blend and it was outstanding. I need to keep my eyes open for some of these wines.

steve8 posted:

Recently, that I can recall

2016 Stags' Leap Winery, Petit Sirah (still looking for that 'wow" I got from the 1994 way back when)

2018 JC Wickens, Chenin Blanc, Swerwer

2007 Ruffino, Modus (corked)

2007 Petrolo, IGT, Torrione

2014 Louis Michel, Chablis, Butteaux

I also had a glass of a red from an Umbrian producer I'd never heard of before. Paolo Bea.  I since checked their website and I'm not sure which wine it was but it was a 2013 sangiovese/sagrantino blend and it was outstanding. I need to keep my eyes open for some of these wines.

Steve8, Paolo Bea is a BUY. 
Prices have shot up and availability is scarce but they’re unique and very tasty.  

2010 Ridge Estate Chardonnay - very nice, but just past peak IMO. Perfect timing to consume my final bottle. The acid seems to be fading.

2014 Sojourn Gap Crown Pinot Noir - excellent. A reminder to remind Dan to stay on their list.

2012 Evening Land Seven Spring Pinot Noir - quite good but not as enjoyable as the Sojourn. Had a smoky barrel char note that took it down a notch for me.

NV Paul Georg Brut Tradition Premier Cru - decent but not memorable. 

Early this week at the Vintage Conservatory, a tasting of Arnaldo Rivera 2015's.

Unidcoumi Barolo Classico - from 20 sites - good entry level Barolo

And 2015 single cru Baroli: Not a dud in the bunch.

Ravera

Monvigliero

Castello

Bussia

Vigna Rionda

Rocche di Castiglione

The single cru Baroli showed site specific characteristics and were consistent with traditional styled Barolo I tasted in Piedmont last May.  Standouts: Monvigliero, bright, ripe fruit but balanced.  Bussia - very solid and balanced.  Vigna Rionda was a bit of a tannic monster but should be wonderful with adequate cellar time.  The Rocche had much of the intensity of the VR but was more balanced and accessible, good for drinking now/later. 

2011 Barolo horizontal, Thursday at Grappa. On release, 2011 Barolo & Barbaresco promised to be a vintage that would be approachable while young, especially on the heels of the full throttled 2010. I've had a few 2011's here and there but figured it was time to check in with a bit of a horizontal look:

We started w 2 Champagnes and Grappa's always delicious beef carpaccio.

Collard-Picard NV Brut - This Chard-Pinot blend was a good example and on its own would be very nice, either as an apertif or with light food. It was however, immediately overshadowed byt the LaHerte et Freres.
2010 LaHerte et Freres Les Emprientes - Beautiful, rich, full and toasty with biscuit and a bit of ripe apple but not overdone in any way. Great balance and in a good spot. I'd enjoy this now if I had some.

With grilled octopus:
2011 DeMaria Barolo, La Morra - Beside the Azelia, it seemed like an unfair match. This was soft with delicate red & blue fruit and very accessible. Somewhat fruit forward. Beside the Azelia Classico it just seemed lacking. DRINK.

2011 Azelia Barolo Classico - This is the second or 3rd time I've had this. It shows gripping tannin and more structure and depth. Good now, but will improve with time, so I'm holding the bottles I still have. HOLD

With mushroom risotto & sides of rapini
2011 Roagna Barbaresco Paje - Wow. This was my first Roagna. Blind it could easily be mistaken as Barolo. Although they had their own character, I was amazed at the similarities between this and the Elio Sandri. Both were amazing and drinking beautifully. The Roagna showed as more elegant and more fruit forward and some salinity. DRINK/HOLD

2011 Elio Sandri Barolo Perno Riserva, Monforte - The second Wow wine of the night. This showed more structure than the Roagna and was deeper, denser. Both wines of this flight would be entering their drinking window imo with Roagna sooner, Sandri a bit later. DRINK/HOLD

With duck breast & port reduction, root veg.
2011 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Falletto, Serralunga - This was the 3rd bottle of this I've had. The previous bottles (2018, 2019) were both singing with beautiful fresh but not ripe red fruit. This bottle seems to have put on weight since then and show more depth and concentration but less of that brightness that was evident in earlier tastings. Perhaps it is heading towards the very early stage of a closed phase, but has definitely put on some weight. DRINK/HOLD

2011 Brovia Villero, Castiglione Falletto - The wheels had fallen off the note taking bus at this point. Suffice to say, this was singing and showed well beside the Giacosa. Again, compared to a bottle in early 2019 this seems to have put on a bit of weight. DRINK/HOLD

1975 Romer du Hayot, Sauternes - STUNNING. I've enjoyed this wine at least a half dozen times since 2011. It has always shown well but seems to have put on some additional depth and complexity since 2018, when the previous bottle was opened. Caramel and big orange marmelade. Bright, smooth, balanced. This is the best showing so far. YUM. Perfect w the Tiramisu.

WOTN? The last 4 bottles were all so good, it would be splitting hairs. If pressed, the closest I think I could come i the Sandri and Giacosa followed very closely by the Brovia and Roagna.

2011 open for business? My conclusion is yes, qualified that as is often the case, with some variance. My initial conclusion on first tasting the 2011 vintage on release is that it's one to enjoy while waiting for 2010, 2008, 2006, and now 2014. No rush, but will continue to test the waters until if/when they shut down.

azwiese posted:
thelostverse posted:

Which of those two would you purchase moving forward (assuming you've had multiple bottles of each).  I buy Rivers Marie, but was interested in trying the Kutch.  Different styles or pretty similar?  

I obviously like them both and buy both, but I wouldn't say they are identical styles.  For me, the Kutch usually has a more tropical note profile and less oak than the RM. 

Over the weekend and the last few nights:

2011 Ernest Remy Champagne Rosé de Saignée
2013 Peter Michael Chardonnay Mon Plaisir Knights Valley
2014 Rasa Vineyards In Order to Form a More Perfect Union Bordeaux Blend
2016 Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Santa Cruz Mountains
2014 Domaine Lafage Cuvée Centenaire Côtes du Roussillon Grenache Blend

The Rasa and the Ridge were in an excellent place after about an hour or two in the decanter. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.