February 2019 What is for Dinner

6pm - Double double animal style, extra everything but no lettuce, add raw onion, and a 6 inch individual mushroom, red onion anchovy pizza.
About 3 hours later I had a sous vide pan finished smallish ribeye and 2 glasses of a nice cab. Most I've ever eaten in one evening.

Post-Valentine dinner last night at Noce in Toronto. The place has been around for 20+ years, I believe. Last time I was there was about 4 years ago and it was very very good, so we were looking forward to our return last night.

This time it was one of the worst meals I’ve had in a Toronto restaurant in years. All four dishes - two appetizers and two mains - were substandard.

My app was shrimp and calamari. It was edible, but I think I had better when I took my parents to Red Lobster. Breaded, fried shrimp and calamari rings with a nondescript mayo for dipping. 

Mrs S’s app was the house salad. Heads of baby romaine lettuce with the outer leaves removed, and the tops and bottoms sliced off and then the remaining 4 inches stood up on their ends on the plate and smothered in a gloopy mayo-based dressing. 

My main was a grilled half octopus. The octopus itself was over-cooked and lukewarm. It was placed on top of what was advertised as “spit-roasted cabbage” but what was in actual fact a wedge of undercooked, non-roasted cabbage. And then the whole thing was drowned in a tomato reduction that looked and tasted like someone had dump a can of Aylmer’s diced tomatoes in a skillet along with half a cup of olive oil and a big handful of red pepper flakes and let it fry for 30 minutes. 

Mrs S had a fungi pizza. The mushrooms were good, but they were smothered in runny mascarpone cheese which made the crust soggy and chewy. 

All in all, a lousy meal, made worse by the din in the restaurant’s front room. When two or three people in a restaurant tend to shout, the whole room has to talk loudly and the decibel level spirals up. And we had some real bellowers - especially the guy sitting at the table across from us. Hyper, ADD, full of himself. Yelled nonstop and barely let his friend get a word in. The few times his friend did talk for more than 5 seconds, the bellower kept barking “Sure. Sure. Sure. Sure...” every second for about 20 seconds. The capper was when he shouted at both his buddy and the waiter (and everyone else in the room)  “I’m gonna order the $160 bottle of wine. I’m gonna pay for it. $160 is no big deal. It’s on me. I want the $160 bottle.” 

Half way through our appetizers we asked to move to the back room of the restaurant. The ambiance was much better there, but unfortunately the food didn’t improve along with the atmosphere. 

sunnylea57 posted:

Post-Valentine dinner last night at Noce in Toronto. The place has been around for 20+ years, I believe. Last time I was there was about 4 years ago and it was very very good, so we were looking forward to our return last night.

This time it was one of the worst meals I’ve had in a Toronto restaurant in years. All four dishes - two appetizers and two mains - were substandard.

My app was shrimp and calamari. It was edible, but I think I had better when I took my parents to Red Lobster. Breaded, fried shrimp and calamari rings with a nondescript mayo for dipping. 

Mrs S’s app was the house salad. Heads of baby romaine lettuce with the outer leaves removed, and the tops and bottoms sliced off and then the remaining 4 inches stood up on their ends on the plate and smothered in a gloopy mayo-based dressing. 

My main was a grilled half octopus. The octopus itself was over-cooked and lukewarm. It was placed on top of what was advertised as “spit-roasted cabbage” but what was in actual fact a wedge of undercooked, non-roasted cabbage. And then the whole thing was drowned in a tomato reduction that looked and tasted like someone had dump a can of Aylmer’s diced tomatoes in a skillet along with half a cup of olive oil and a big handful of red pepper flakes and let it fry for 30 minutes. 

Mrs S had a fungi pizza. The mushrooms were good, but they were smothered in cheese that was the consistency of bechamel, which made the crust soggy and chewy. 

All in all, a lousy meal, made worse by the din in the restaurant’s front room. When two or three people in a restaurant tend to shout, the whole room has to talk loudly and the decibel level spirals up. And we had some real bellowers - especially the guy sitting at the table across from us. Hyper, ADD, full of himself. Yelled nonstop and barely let his friend get a word in. The few times his friend did talk for more than 5 seconds, the bellower kept barking “Sure. Sure. Sure. Sure...” every second for about 20 seconds. The capper was when he shouted at both his buddy and the waiter (and everyone else in the room)  “I’m gonna order the $160 bottle of wine. I’m gonna pay for it. $160 is no big deal. It’s on me. I want the $160 bottle.” 

Half way through our appetizers we asked to move to the back room of the restaurant. The ambiance was much better there, but unfortunately the food didn’t improve along with the atmosphere. 

Hope they comped you

Add Reply

Likes (0)