2012 Patrick Jasmin Côte-Rôtie

2005 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904

Drank with oven roasted  spare ribs.
Interesting that in CT, the Rioja scores  92 while the Jasmin is 87.9. I'd drink the Jasmin all day long. Toward the last glass, the Alta's oak was becoming over the top with coconut and dill. While it worked well with the fatty ribs, not my preferred style of wine. 

steve8 posted:

2014 Vasse Felix, Chardonnay, Heytesbury

Excellent, although it could have used a little more body to make it outstanding.

2012 Querce Bettina, RdM

Also excellent. This is the most recent vintage of a QB wine I've had and for those keeping score they seem to have changed cork suppliers. Solid, dense and compact...the cork. The wine is bigger than many RdM's. I think need to go back and get some more even if the $31.25 price tag is getting up there.

Try the 2014 Santa Donna RdM if available in your market. Roberta isn’t releasing a 2014 BdM and all the fruit went into this special bottling. Really good and 12 euros. 

mangiare posted:

2012 Patrick Jasmin Côte-Rôtie

2005 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904

Drank with oven roasted  spare ribs.
Interesting that in CT, the Rioja scores  92 while the Jasmin is 87.9. I'd drink the Jasmin all day long. Toward the last glass, the Alta's oak was becoming over the top with coconut and dill. While it worked well with the fatty ribs, not my preferred style of wine. 

I will never buy another bottle of Rioja Alta for that exact reason. The coconut and dill is a real turnoff. I ended up giving away the last of my 2001 904s, but I still have way too many of the 2004s and 2005s.

2016 envinate albahara 

2015 joan d'anguera planella - needs 4hrs to breathe but hot damn this is good.

2010 baron de ley tres vines blanco - thick and lovely.  Some oxidative notes.  Just how i like my rioja blancos.

2006 vieux donjon cdp - coming around but still on the young side for me.  Not touching my other for at least 5 years.  Really like the 06 balance.

2000 ch. D'angludet.  Lovely claret with roast lamb.  Needs a 2+hr decant to unfurl, but could still get better with age.

steve8 posted:
mimik posted:

2013 Quinta D.Vale Maria douro

2016 Feermont Terrasse viognier blend

Feermont? Do you mean Keermont? If so, it's the 2015 and it is 70% chenin blanc with some chardonnay, viognier (15%) and sauvignon blanc.

How was the Vale Maria?

Keermont. Correct you are. 

The Vale Maria was excellent. Fruity and modern styled but I wouldnt have them for another 3 years but still tasty now. 

With bman, winedrmike, and greenmike and their lovely brides @ Uncle Jack's Steakhouse, NYC:

2015 Peter Michael La Carriere Chardonnay

1989 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace

2008 Morlet Family Coeur de Valle

2013 Macdonald Cabernet Sauvignon

2004 Robert Mondavi Reserve

2012 Casa Piena Cabernet Sauvignon

Finally got a chance to meet bman after all these years.   Great night!

doubled posted:

With bman, winedrmike, and greenmike and their lovely brides @ Uncle Jack's Steakhouse, NYC:

👍🏼👍🏼 That bman gets around.

I'm interested in hearing more about most of these - especially the DC, Macdonald and Mondavi.

sunnylea57 posted:
doubled posted:

👍🏼👍🏼 That bman gets around.

I'm interested in hearing more about most of these - especially the DC, Macdonald and Mondavi.

DoubleD decanted the MacDonald for 24 hours before dinner.  Knowing this, I decided to bring the 2004 Mondavi reserve to compare as an example of what MacDonald tasted like before it was Macdonald.  Not even close- the 2004 Mondavi was really good, but the 2013 MacDonald was 2 or 3 notches above.   It is a massive wine that needed 24 hours and then some, but the finish and tannins were fantastic.  Morlet Couer de Valle is also To Kalon fruit and the 2008 was also fantastic right out of the bottle.  We all really enjoyed the 1989 RRT because we had that first before our palates were blown out- still has plenty of fruit and really nice secondary characteristics.  I didn't try the Casa Piena- I unfortunately had to leave early.

Add Reply

Likes (0)