Had a fun little tasting with some guys who want to get into wine.  I am always intrigued by what Costco can do, but I don't think I'll buy the Kirkland Rioja Reserva.  It was hard for me to pick out as tempranillo.

2005 Lopez Heredia Bosconia

2014 Kirkland Rioja Reserva

2004 Seghesio San Lorenzo Zin

2011 Domaine Durand Cornas Empreintes

2016 Sparkman Holler (solid value cabernet at 30$) 

Recently had a fun lunch with 70 day dry aged prime rib, and a decent lineup of wines....

1979 BV Georges de la Tour
1979 Ch Mouton Rothschild
1983 Ch d’Yquem
1985 William Hill reserve cab
1990 Ch L’Evangile
1991 Ch Palmer (mag)
1996 Ch Pichon Lalande (mag)
1997 Joseph Phelps Insignia
1999 Dujac Bourgogne rouge
2004 Alvear Pedro Ximenez de Sacrista
2007 William Fevre Les Preuses GC
2011 Faiveley Clos does Cortons 
2014 Scherrer PN

Celebrating thirstyman’s 40th with his SO, tpewinedrinker and Paul S at Flyte in Nashville:

2015 Francois Bertheau Bourgogne

1990 Charles Heidsieck Blanc de Millesnaires 

2012 Mondavi Sauvignon Blanc I-Block

2003 Pierre Yvette Colin Morey Corton Charlemagne 

1979 Pierre Bouree Charmes-Chambertin

1991 Alion

1991 Muga Prado Enea Gran Riserva

1985 Chateau Branaire 

Attachments

Photos (1)

Over herbed salmon and rack of lamb with accompaniments, Steve8, Uncle John, vinaigre and KSC02 with our significant others thad the following last night:

2002 Comtes Taittinger blancs des blancs(stunning)

NV Larmand/Bernier tardition Brut

2011 Macle Cotes du Jura

2016 Raul Perez Sketch Albariño 

2001 Paolo Conterno Ginestra Riserva Barolo(stunning)

1997 Aldo Conterno GranBussia Barolo Riserva

2001 Monprivato Barolo Mascarello e Figlio

2004 Pegau Reservee Cdp

2000 Moccagatta Basarin Barbaresco 

2005 Huet 1er trie le mont vouvray

mimik posted:

Over herbed salmon and rack of lamb with accompaniments, Steve8, Uncle John, vinaigre and KSC02 with our significant others thad the following last night:

2011 Macle Cotes du Jura

2004 Pegau Reservee Cdp

Mimikos there was also a 2001 Monprivato Barolo.

2016 Kirkland brand Signature Series Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon.   Picked this up at my local Costco to try with some prime ribeye cap steaks.  I was impressed.  This was pretty good juice for the price.  I think I will try to go back and get some more.

doubled posted:
fcs posted:

2005 Masseto

Nice!  How was it?

Funny I was just looking over your weekend collection and was going to ask you the same thing!!

Those burgs, bubbly and Bdx look great... and the 1969 Krug Pinot must have been an awesome surprise

Masseto was terrific, rich with a very slight dryness (typical for Italy) on the finish. Amazing that it's just merlot grapes.

mimik posted:

2011 Macle Cotes du Jura

2004 Pegau Reservee Cdp

Well done, lads! Any standouts?  

2013 Pearl Morissette Estate Winery Riesling Cuvée Black Ball

2008 Clos del Rey Côtes du Roussillon Villages Le Clos

2005 Pio Cesare Barolo

I'm a big fan of dry riesling (curse you, shavez!) but that Black Ball is over the top. Bracing, puckering, searing - call it whatever you want - the acidity was so distracting it completely dominated the quality juice hiding underneath. Will it integrate with time in bottle?  Does acidity even do that? Who knows; I have two left so I guess we'll see. 

The Clos del Rey was gorgeous as always - love that old vines carignan.  I wasn't sure how far along the Pio would be, but not to worry - it was hugely tannic on opening and took three hours in decanter to settle down. 

vint posted:
vinoevelo posted:

long overdue lunch w. Mangiare - 2016 Comando G Rozas 1er Cru 

How was it? CellerTracker's suggested drinking window is 2021-2027!

I thought it showed well.  We agreed it was a definite step up from the Bruzas bottling.  I'm sure it will get better in time as the acid & tannin resolve themselves but it was fine with food.  Far more open than a too-young claret.

LB, nice to see you posting again. Always appreciate your wine insight. 

Recent notables

2007 La Stoppa Macchiona Emilia IGT - in a great spot and punching well above it’s tariff 

2007 Fattoria Le Pupille (Elisabetta Geppetti) Morellino di Scansano Riserva Poggio Valente - in a good spot  

2001 Clerico Ginestra

1997 Lisini Ugolaia - drinking well but a bit heavy and one dimensional 

2000 Tardieu-Laurent Cornas Coteaux - love this style; restrained but so much going on

mimik posted:

2009 Leclerc-Briant, Champagne, Les Chevres Pierreuses

2011 Macle Cotes du Jura, Chardonnay

2004 Pegau Reservee Cdp

If you found a Larmand-Bernier bottle in the recycle bin you must have drank it by yourself after we left.

Stand-outs for me were the Taittinger and the Huet. All of the nebbiolos were excellent, maybe a slight nod to the Moccagatta, which surprised me.

The Domaine Macle was a stand-out in that it was crap. I really do not understand people making oxidized style wines. If I want sherry, I'll buy sherry.

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=2124416

No idea on the producer, but it was the 2014 and it had the great big word of Pauillac on the label.

Surprisingly good drinker for a wine that I was think would taste like that shitty R de' Lafite or an equally bad Mouton Cadet.

Decent grippy balance mixed with hints of black fruits and a nice subtle bramble nose.  Not much complexity, little oak forward, but good drinker.

doubled posted:

How was the Dunn?

It was still lively. We tried it after a 2 hour decant and it was inviting at that point. Open 4 hours it had deepened further. However, it started to decline an hour after that. I think it will hold a few years yet (which is good since I have 2 more).

2014 Vasse Felix, Chardonnay, Heytesbury

Excellent, although it could have used a little more body to make it outstanding.

2012 Querce Bettina, RdM

Also excellent. This is the most recent vintage of a QB wine I've had and for those keeping score they seem to have changed cork suppliers. Solid, dense and compact...the cork. The wine is bigger than many RdM's. I think need to go back and get some more even if the $31.25 price tag is getting up there.

@ Technique, a new restaurant in Westwood, NJ.  Classic French fare demanded classic French wine.

NV Billecart Salmon Brut

1999 Pavie

2000 Malescot St Exupery

2006 Lynch Bages

the 99 Pavie was spectacular- gave it a brief 30 minute decant and just kept getting better in the glass. The Lynch was a close second- ready to rock right now.  The Malescot is still tight and not quite in the same class but still very enjoyable on its own.

2006 Copain Thompson Syrah - Nice, new world in style, I found it a bit one-dimensional but Mrs VeV loved it.

2008 Poggio al Tesoro Sondraia - again, nice, italian claret in a polished new world style.    Paired well with a cold night and some lentils and cotechino.  

2015 Occhipinti SP68 rosso - finally a not flawed bottle.  Still a bit of effervesence on opening, but settled down with an afternoon of air and turned into what it could be.  I have one bottle left and i'm not sure i'm a repeat buyer based on the number of skunked bottles i've had.

2015 Sybille Kuntz Reisling Kabinett Trocken - this disappeared fast.  Loved by all.  petrol, tropical fruits, a little smoky minerality and enamel-peeling acidity.  Glad i have a few more to follow

2012 Castello di Rampolla Chianti Classico - This was great with porchetta - still young and needed some fat to tame the acid/tannins.  On the darker side of sangiovese.  Would probably benefit from additional aging.

2010 Querce Bettina RdM - middle of the road stylistically, nice sangiovese.  Good fruit/savoury balance.  Revisiting the bottle on the 2nd night it was oxidising pretty quickly.  Cork was fine though.

2012 Patrick Jasmin Côte-Rôtie

2005 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904

Drank with oven roasted  spare ribs.
Interesting that in CT, the Rioja scores  92 while the Jasmin is 87.9. I'd drink the Jasmin all day long. Toward the last glass, the Alta's oak was becoming over the top with coconut and dill. While it worked well with the fatty ribs, not my preferred style of wine. 

steve8 posted:

2014 Vasse Felix, Chardonnay, Heytesbury

Excellent, although it could have used a little more body to make it outstanding.

2012 Querce Bettina, RdM

Also excellent. This is the most recent vintage of a QB wine I've had and for those keeping score they seem to have changed cork suppliers. Solid, dense and compact...the cork. The wine is bigger than many RdM's. I think need to go back and get some more even if the $31.25 price tag is getting up there.

Try the 2014 Santa Donna RdM if available in your market. Roberta isn’t releasing a 2014 BdM and all the fruit went into this special bottling. Really good and 12 euros. 

mangiare posted:

2012 Patrick Jasmin Côte-Rôtie

2005 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904

Drank with oven roasted  spare ribs.
Interesting that in CT, the Rioja scores  92 while the Jasmin is 87.9. I'd drink the Jasmin all day long. Toward the last glass, the Alta's oak was becoming over the top with coconut and dill. While it worked well with the fatty ribs, not my preferred style of wine. 

I will never buy another bottle of Rioja Alta for that exact reason. The coconut and dill is a real turnoff. I ended up giving away the last of my 2001 904s, but I still have way too many of the 2004s and 2005s.

2016 envinate albahara 

2015 joan d'anguera planella - needs 4hrs to breathe but hot damn this is good.

2010 baron de ley tres vines blanco - thick and lovely.  Some oxidative notes.  Just how i like my rioja blancos.

2006 vieux donjon cdp - coming around but still on the young side for me.  Not touching my other for at least 5 years.  Really like the 06 balance.

2000 ch. D'angludet.  Lovely claret with roast lamb.  Needs a 2+hr decant to unfurl, but could still get better with age.

Add Reply

Likes (0)