quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:

My favourite was the 96 Masseto,

Why so?

The 2001 Masseto was a lovely Merlot, but I didn't think it was drastically better than other good Merlots I've tried. It also seemed a bit primary to me. (Caveat: it was one of the two where I - and everyone else at the table - easily identified both wine and vintage. Everything about it - colour, nose, palate, body - said that it was younger than the other 7 pours.)

Meanwhile, the 96 Masseto had the freshest, most intricate, and most prominent nose and palate of the night.

I think our preferences were biased due to the state of the bottles they were pouring. As VinC pointed out, a number of the bottles were rather tired, and it seemed that every table had at least one bottle that was completely off. At our table, the 98 Ornellaia had major brett. At other tables, the 2001 Masseto was corked.
Last week or so...
2006 Roccamena del Cardinale BdM, nice and approachable now
2012 Leitz Riesling Kabinett, Rudersheimer Rosengarter..not bad but will be better in 5 years
Tonight 2012 Bougrier Sauv vin de pay from the Loire...good daily drinker
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
2007 Stolpman Syrah Hilltops Santa Ynez Valley

How was this?

First bottle I've had of this wine. Very dark, dense-looking in the glass, but seemed ready-to-drink with good tannic structure. Main attributes are smoky, savoury/spicy (black pepper), with lots of dark chocolate/expresso and smooth, dense texture. Good value for a wine bought on sale at Vintages.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Winetasters tonight. Blind tasting.

1994 Ornellaia
1995 Ornellaia
1996 Ornellaia
1998 Ornellaia
1994 Masseto
1995 Masseto
1996 Masseto
2001 Masseto

Plus a mystery wine - double blind: 1995 Ornellaia Le Volte

This was my first blind tasting. Of the 8 main wines, I got 2 bang on (both wine and vintage), and two others I got the wine right but the vintage wrong. Of course, it's not as hard when there are only two wines to choose from - a cab sauv blend, and a merlot... And even so, I got half wrong. As did most people at our table.

My favourite was the 96 Masseto, which I pegged as the 94 Ornellaia.

It was remarkable how tannic some of the older vintages of the Masseto still are, especially the 94 and 96.

Good to see you Sunnylea, and Mrs Sunnylea.

I liked the Masseto as well. Surprisingly, all seemed very advanced for their age. It made me think I'd rather have these wines at 10-15 years than at 15-20. The 98 Ornellaia seemed flawed - brett or some other funk that was overpowering,and the 95 had some of this character to a lesser degree. Interestingly, we had both last year at an Italian dinner (Noce) and thought it was flawed (thinking the 98). I enjoyed the 1997, 1995, 1996 Ornellaia much more 3-6 years ago.

The Masseto were good but many seemed a bit past their peak. The 2001 was the best but didn't strike me as anywhere near a 100 pt wine.

Post tasting at Oliver & Bonacini Grill:

NV La Florescence Champagne (B de Noirs). Full bodied, good with tuna tatare

2005 Oreno - Most ready to drink.
2008 Liena Cab Franc, -big and structured,concentrated. Outstanding but needs 5 years.
2007 Il Carbonaione - young, but most elegant and smooth of the bunch.

All three were excellent, but at different stages and showed different character. All 3 were quite concentrated.

Dessert: 2000 Kracher Chardonnay TBA Auslese: Fantastic - big yum here. Great fruit, great balance. Thank you VinChanted! Winner

My favourite wine of the tasting was the 2001 Masseto. It was the only wine that appeared to have any youthfulness - both in its appearance and taste. The others all seemed to have aged much more.

However, I enjoyed all of the wines we had after the tasting more than any of the wines we had earlier. I'll have to consider the implications of that!

I'm always amazed at the versatility of Il Carbonaione. When drunk young, it is poised, balanced, and versatile with so many foods. Then as it ages, it becomes sublime without losing any of its former qualities. Truly enjoyable to drink either the 1992 or the 2007.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
2004 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT

Never had a bottle of this vintage I did not love.
1994 Spottswoode Cab - Not a stellar bottle but I believe it had heat damage.
2007 Vietti Barbera d'Asti Tre Vigne - Bright and fresh (great food wine)
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
2004 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT

Never had a bottle of this vintage I did not love.

Based on this bottle I'd say you still love it too.
2004 Rioja Bordon. A nice mid-weight mix of cherries and earth that's showing its age in a good way. Nothing too deep or complex, but perfect for a winter weeknight. Glad to have a couple more.
Enjoyed at our Wednesday off-line.

1996 Pol Roger Winston Churchill
1996 Dom
2001 Screaming Eagle
2002 Harlan Estate
1963 Taylor Fladgate
At dinner last night:

2004 Tua Rita Redigaffi
1997 Masseto
1990 Angelus

The angelus and redigaffi were fantastic but they could not match the power and complexity of the masseto. This is my 3rd 97 masseto in the past year is drinking at its peak right IMO.
impromptu "come over and let's drink something" at my house last night

1982 La Louviere
1994 Pichon Longueville
1995 Pichon Longueville
1990 Anderson's Conn Valley Estate Cab
2004 Mitolo GAM Shiraz
2003 Bodegas Gutiérrez de la Vega Alicante Casta Diva Cosecha Miel

'94 Pichon was WOTN, '95 needs time.
quote:

2003 Bodegas Gutiérrez de la Vega Alicante Casta Diva Cosecha Miel

Exciting to see this winery. One of my closest friends from San Diego moved to Alicante and dated the daughter of the family that owned this winery. We went to Parcent and hung out with them and tasted their wines and olive oil. A great treat. If you ever find a bottle of their Fondillon (dessert wine), it'll blow you away. In the most treasured wine topic, my 1987 Casta Diva Fondillon is definitely a contender.
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
At dinner last night:

2004 Tua Rita Redigaffi
1997 Masseto
1990 Angelus

The angelus and redigaffi were fantastic but they could not match the power and complexity of the masseto. This is my 3rd 97 masseto in the past year is drinking at its peak right IMO.

Living large, G! Cool
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
2007 Stolpman Syrah Hilltops Santa Ynez Valley

How was this?

First bottle I've had of this wine. Very dark, dense-looking in the glass, but seemed ready-to-drink with good tannic structure. Main attributes are smoky, savoury/spicy (black pepper), with lots of dark chocolate/expresso and smooth, dense texture. Good value for a wine bought on sale at Vintages.

Thanks, much appreciated!
quote:
Enjoyed at our Wednesday off-line.

1996 Pol Roger Winston Churchill
1996 Dom
2001 Screaming Eagle
2002 Harlan Estate
1963 Taylor Fladgate

Obviously different vintages, but how would you compare SE with Harlan? I've only had Harlan, am patiently waiting for SE.
1998 Heidsieck & Co. Monopole Champagne Diamant Rosé
2006 Sterling Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Diamond Mountain Ranch Vineyard
For Valentine's Day dinner:
2009 Blankiet Estate "Prince of Hearts"
NV Camille Saves Brut Champagne Carte Blanche from 375ml
Went dumpster diving in the cellar for some value wines:

2006 Guigal CdP
2007 Galevan CdP
2009 Domaine de L'Arnesque Châteauneuf-du-Pape Capelane
2010 J Palacios Petalos Bierzo, very good, just a tad hot but blew off after 30 mins.
2011 Fontanafredda Barbera D'Alba (flawed -bretty).
1989 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvée Spéciale La Migoua at Boulud Sud in NYC. Delicious. Silky, kind of spicy, almost effervescent. Light red fruits. Delightful. Pricey, to be sure.

Somm at first recommended Verset Cornas 2002. I was wary of the vintage and picked the Tempier.

Curious to hear other's thoughts on 2002 Cornas.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
1994 Spottswoode Cab - Not a stellar bottle but I believe it had heat damage.
2007 Vietti Barbera d'Asti Tre Vigne - Bright and fresh (great food wine)

That Vietti is always spot on. I had a bottle last night...great value there.
Tonight w/main course of chicken, shitake mushroom and tarragon risotto with a shallot and red grape sauce:

- 2001 Castelgiocondo Brunello -- this has been drinking really well for the last 2-3 years, with a lovely berry and spice nose and flavours, silky texture, long finish

- 1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello Riserva -- still quite dark in colour but seems a bit dilute in the mouth, fruit has faded which makes the acidity a bit pronounced; not terrible but disappointing, maybe an off bottle

- 2000 Corino Barolo Vigna Giachini -- lovely translucent ruby colour, nice floral nose, rich plum, roasted almond, licorice flavours with decent acidity, medium to long finish; best match with the risotto

- 2001 Castelgiocondo Lamoiane -- still pretty dark, big nose and lots of rich ripe plum and berry flavour, almost jammy after the previous wines, long finsih, drinks young and seems to have the stuffing to go quite a while yet

Also with appetizers 2010 Bret Brothers Pouilly-Fuissé Climat En Carmentrant, which has a slightly chalky texture but is very tasty with apple, citrus, mineral flavours

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.