February 2013 - Whats for dinner?

quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
I'm a little late on this post, but I finally got around to it.

Last Saturday I roasted a fresh 100lb local, grass-fed, free-range Hereford pork.

The occasion was my old man's birthday. Every year for the past 5 years we've gone ahead and roasted a pig, and had a big ole' party. This year's was one of the biggest (100+ people came by).

The pig spent 24 hours in a brine made up of 6 gallons apple cider, 144oz. of Amber Bock, 1 gallon of water (plus residual melt off from 2 bags of ice), 4 cans of salt, 10 oranges sliced in half, 10 lemons sliced in half, 10 garlic heads sliced in half, a whole lot of thyme, a whole lot of rosemary, 6oz. brown sugar, 24oz molasses, 24oz. honey, and 12oz of black peppercorns.

Then the old boy was rinsed off, and went into La Caja China, where he spent the next 3 hours roasting (well, 4 hours. time got away from me), before we flipped him over and charred the skin for about 45 minutes.

We had a great time. People began arriving around 4pm, and the party went on strong until close to 3am. We drank through about 3 cases of wine, 5 handles of liquor, and over 60 beers. There was no food left in the morning, save a few slices of cake and a serving a black beans.

It was a great night. I learned how to play the guitar, and sang like an angel at around 1am. Sadly, by the morning, I had lost both skills.

A wonderful evening... I can't wait for the next one!

Here's a Photo Album of the pig. Warning: photos of a dead pig.

Boy, is my mouth watering now. Sounds like a fantastic evening.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Looks alike a great party! Now I really want a La Caja China - they look contained and very easy to use ...

Judging by the next day pics, you don't have racoons in your hood.

Nah... I live in an urban area. Once in a blue moon there will be some rats, but that's about it.

The Caja China is the simplest, most dummy-proof, and easiest way to roast a whole pig. If you follow the simple instructions, it's nearly impossible to mess up.
A gorgeous night indeed. From 360 Restaurant at the top of the CN Tower (home of the self-proclaimed "World's Highest Wine Cellar"), you could see a very long way through the clear winter air. Was taken there last night for a b-day dinner, and the food is surprisingly good for a tourist trap.
Saturday at home
Blue crab cakes over mixed greens with Dijon vinaigrette
Then I pan seared some Chilean sea bass that I topped with shiitake mushrooms previously cooked in withe wine. It came out pretty darn good I didn't screw up the sea bass as I have done once before
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Burrata with some heirloom tomatoes and watercress.

Roast Guinea Hen breast wrapped in pancetta with brussel sprouts and roasted parsnips.

gorgeous. just found two grouse in the freezer and this sounds like a plan. no idea where to find decent tomatoes though...
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Burrata with some heirloom tomatoes and watercress.

Roast Guinea Hen breast wrapped in pancetta with brussel sprouts and roasted parsnips.

gorgeous. just found two grouse in the freezer and this sounds like a plan. no idea where to find decent tomatoes though...

The basement of St. Lawrence market had some nice ones. Nice purple carrots too (going to be roasted tomorrow)
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
Last night out
A Cesar and a ribeye

where??

I have a hard time finding a place that makes a steak as good as one made at home. Buy good beef (Whole Foods in the Gables sells 45-day dry-aged ones), salt, pepper, a little bit of garlic powder, evoo, and a really hot cast-iron skillet can't be beat.
Dinner at Luihn in Kristiansand, Norway.

Starter: Cod Tongue paired with a dry German Riesling
Main Course: Monk Fish in a sour cream reduction sauce paired with a 2005 Bourgogne Rouge

In a word: Stunning. I don't know how I managed to miss this place during the years that I have been traveling to Kristiansand.

I'll be back!

Add Reply

Likes (0)