February 2013: What are you drinking?

Last night during dinner with billhike, dantherhonefan, thelostverse and our better halves:

N.V. Jean Laurent Champagne Brut Rosé
N.V. H. Billiot Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé
2005 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Crau
2009 Walter Hansel Winery Chardonnay The North Slope Vineyard
2011 Rasa Vineyards Riesling The Composer
1995 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Cuvée du Vatican Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve Sixtine
2009 La Follette Pinot Noir Sangiacomo Vineyard
2008 Rasa Vineyards QED
2 x 2001 Maison Leroy Volnay (first bottle was corked, but there was a backup)
2009 Domaine les Aphillanthes Côtes du Rhône Villages Cuvée des Galets
2007 Château de Myrat

All three Chateauneufs showed beautifully.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Tonight a 2009 Domaine Eden Chardonnay with a potato and leek soup. Followed by a 2001 Pirramimma Shiraz with roasted lamb. The Pirammima took 3+ hours to open up, but when it blossomed, it was excellent.

Good to know that I can still hold onto the 2001 Pirramimma I have in the cellar has more life in it.
Grilled calamari, shrimp and rainbow trout today for lunch with friends before the game.

Pulled 11 bottle of wine including, Clos Mogador Nelin White, Rueda Ossian Verdejo, Jorge Ordonez Malaga Moscatel, Curran Garnacha Blanc, Paacios As Sortes Godello, Getariako Txakolina and Tempestad Godello.
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
Stefania Haut tubee 2010. Very acidic,tart berries, sour and a lingering bitterness that reminded me of maracuya (passion fruit). The syrah is evident given a touch of spice but definitely can't taste cab in the blend. Disappointing and too tart even with food. This was very opaque, i am wondering if i had an off bottle.

We had one of these tonight and I agree with your assessment. It also smelled like sweet kool-aid. This was the first Stefania that I haven't really enjoyed - the 4 of us who had it actually disliked it quite a bit. I hope it changes dramatically with time in the bottle, but not sure. Confused
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
Stefania Haut tubee 2010. Very acidic,tart berries, sour and a lingering bitterness that reminded me of maracuya (passion fruit). The syrah is evident given a touch of spice but definitely can't taste cab in the blend. Disappointing and too tart even with food. This was very opaque, i am wondering if i had an off bottle.

We had one of these tonight and I agree with your assessment. It also smelled like sweet kool-aid. This was the first Stefania that I haven't really enjoyed - the 4 of us who had it actually disliked it quite a bit. I hope it changes dramatically with time in the bottle, but not sure. Confused

I think it needs time in the bottle. Usually this wine is showing well right away, but the 2010 seems to have some high acidity. I had a couple, but am leaving the rest alone for 4 - 6 months.

On the other hand, the "Nueva Casa de los Padres" is drinking very nicely right now...
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
1994 Beaux Freres Pinot Noir Beaux Freres Vineyard
1998 Beaux Freres Pinot Noir Beaux Freres Vineyard

How did these show?

The 94 was phenomenal, amazing, <insert you favorite superlative here>.

I've had a significant # of 98's and while this one was good, it did not measure up to what this wine normally is - I think this particular bottle was ever-so-slightly off. But it was still pretty darn good.

This was the first time I've had the 2 side-by-side. The 94 was my clear favorite.

Now to decide when the 92's get opened? Cool
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Jorge, I hope you are right on the Haut Tubee. And I agree about the Nueva Casa; we had one on New Year's Eve and it was excellent.

I also hope jorge is right about the Haut Tubee, and I'll let my other 4 bottles rest a bit. I've had a couple of the 2010, and they were consistent with what you and others have mentioned.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Nueva Casa at this point, though. It wasn't showing much at all for me. I'll see what some time does to that one as well.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
2009 Mas d'en Compte Priorat Blanco

How was this?

Excellent. Complex. Went well with a wide assortment of food.

Based on that, I ordered some. Thanks...thanks a lot. I need to buy more wine. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
For my wife's birthday on Saturday at Ici Bistro

Jean Milan Blanc de Blancs Special
1990 Leoville Poyferre Bow

I hope your food was as good as we found it.

I was going to ask. How was it? We've been meaning to go...
quote:
Originally posted by nevada slim:
quote:
Originally posted by chuq_2001:
Over the weekend

2009 Mas de Boislauzon CDP
2009 Kosta Browne RRV Pinot
2009 Betz La Serenne Syrah
2008 Gary Farrell Bradford Mtn Zin
2010 Siduri Chehalem Mts Pinot

How was the Betz? Do you think it needs more time?

My first Betz Syrah, have had the cab and grenache previously. It really started to shine after about an hour in the decanter. Very balanced, I'd hold for a few more years.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
For my wife's birthday on Saturday at Ici Bistro

Jean Milan Blanc de Blancs Special
1990 Leoville Poyferre Bow

I hope your food was as good as we found it.

I was going to ask. How was it? We've been meaning to go...

Food, service and wine service were very good in a relaxed way. Highlights for me: bone marrow croquette with salsa verde, mushroom croquette, duck dish my wife ordered with breast in an amazing sauce and confit ravioli, seafood app with cognac marinated, then butter poached lobster, the souffle's made to order - Grand Marnier and dark chocolate and cherry.
It's too bad you have to reserve at least 2-3 weeks in advance as we're never organized enough. Overall a very enjoyable night and the '90 Leoville Poyferre is a stunner IMO.

Add Reply

Likes (0)