February 2013: What are you drinking?

Board-O: Though I cannot comment on how it compared to your V-D last night, my wife and I loved this wine. Dark purple and lovely bouquet as it was decanted. Kirsh, cherry, raspberry and a hint of sous bois. Licorice as it enjoyed the fresh air. Repeats on the palate with elegance and silky smooth tannins. Finally, a bottle I've opened in the last 3 weeks that lived up to the hype. Drink now or hold 5 more years.
2011 La Marea Spur Ranch Grenache from San Benito CA

the lady rarely says "wow" (when drinking wine, anyway Wink), and she absolutely loved this.

Ian Brand is making excellent wine, and it's all available at very reasonable prices. I hope he can get the business-side of his venture running smoothly so his wines become more accessible.
Stefania Haut tubee 2010. Very acidic,tart berries, sour and a lingering bitterness that reminded me of maracuya (passion fruit). The syrah is evident given a touch of spice but definitely can't taste cab in the blend. Disappointing and too tart even with food. This was very opaque, i am wondering if i had an off bottle.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Board-O: Though I cannot comment on how it compared to your V-D last night, my wife and I loved this wine. Dark purple and lovely bouquet as it was decanted. Kirsh, cherry, raspberry and a hint of sous bois. Licorice as it enjoyed the fresh air. Repeats on the palate with elegance and silky smooth tannins. Finally, a bottle I've opened in the last 3 weeks that lived up to the hype. Drink now or hold 5 more years.

Seems like 2003 may be a great vintage.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:

Seems like 2003 may be a great vintage.

Have either of you had an 03 Beaucastel or an idea if it's open for business now?
Vincentric, as you know, Beaucastel has great aging potential. I typically wait 15-20 years, but if you have more than 1, it might be worth a flyer to try one and compare it with the others you open later. I still have '98 and '00 Beaucastel that are asleep.
I had a 2003 Beaucastel in December. I ran a tasting for a charity group who gave me a gift certificate to City Cellar where, on Mondays, bottles over $99 are half price. After looking at their list, I opted for the 2003 Beaucastel and had it decanted. It clearly needs time but was excellent. It was not nearly as good as the Le Vieux Donjon, but that may be related to needed aging. Unless you have at least 6 of these, I wouldn't open one now. With 1-3 bottles, I'd let it get to age 15 before opening one.

I'm still holding plenty of Beaucastels from the 1980s and 1990s.
Last night at dinner

2008 Rivers Marie Chardonnay
2003 Pegau Reservee
1984 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace

Very surprised by the RM. Having read many negative reviews of a spritzy wine this showed none of that and drank very well last night. The Pegau needs a lot more time and the DC was simply incredible once again.
At a private Querce Bettina tasting with proprietors Sandra and Roberto, with KSC02 and Dj, Steve8 and J, Vinaigre and C, Uncle John and R, C. and J., basecadet and K, at Raza restaurant in Montreal, we had

2008 Rossi di Montelcino Querce Bettina
2007 Rosso di Montelcino Querce Bettina
2005 Brunello di Montelcino Querce Bettina
2006 Brunello di Montelcino Querce Bettina Riserva
2007 Brunello di Montelcino Querce Bettina
quote:
Tonight a 2009 Domaine Eden Chardonnay with a potato and leek soup. Followed by a 2001 Pirramimma Shiraz with roasted lamb. The Pirammima took 3+ hours to open up, but when it blossomed, it was excellent.

I love Pirramimma and that vintage was second best to the fantastic 2000.

Btw, your wines will be in transit tomorrow with Basecadet.

Add Reply

Likes (0)