February 2013 - What are you buying?

quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Emile Henry Pizza Stone.

We love ours. Is it the round or square?

With care, it should last a life time, unlike the 3 I purchased from Costco which lasted less than 1 month apiece.

Good to hear Dok! Rectangle shape, pretty big too. Have you used it on top of the outside grill? I was thinking of using it for fish as well....
quote:
quote:
Have you used it on top of the outside grill

I ONLY use mine on the BBQ for pizza. It would be great for fish as well. Enjoy!

I've never used mine for fish, but I sure would hesitate to do so. Pizza stones are pretty porous and would likely absorb some lovely fish aroma. I don't want my pizza smelling fishy. Again, I've never tried it, so I'm not sure what the results would be. But why risk it? When I grill fish, I grill directly on the cooking grates, or in a few instances, I've used a fish basket. 2 Cents
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
Kistler Chardonnay and Pinot noir allocation
KB allocation
Marcassin Chardonnay allocation

i never understood the kistler allocations

they totally hold you hostage for a wine after you can find the crappy designation int he secondary or even the retail market for less than they offer just for some super special single bottling that you could have had paying for cheaper if you didn't spend all that money buying 2 cases of the crappy starter wines.

g-man,
I have not had that experience. None of the bottles from the offering is something that I can get in the LWS. Maybe it's a Texas thing. The only Kistler I have seen for sale is the crappy Sonoma Coast bottling- the old Les Noisetier bottling. I have never seen any single vineyard bottling for sale - granted, I am not in the business so I am not privy to products that some (Nolan) may have access to. With that said, it is true that if you do not buy a case, you are limited in your "choice" and you have to buy a mixed 6 pack which is not necessarily the highest rated stuff. So yes you are held hostage if you do not buy 12 bottles. Fortunately I have a number of colleagues and friends who like to split my allocation and I get to cherry pick whatever and however much I want and split the rest of the allocation amongst them. Win-win. With that said, do you enjoy their wines?
My reps know not to even offer me Kistler Wink
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
quote:
Have you used it on top of the outside grill

I ONLY use mine on the BBQ for pizza. It would be great for fish as well. Enjoy!

I've never used mine for fish, but I sure would hesitate to do so. Pizza stones are pretty porous and would likely absorb some lovely fish aroma. I don't want my pizza smelling fishy. Again, I've never tried it, so I'm not sure what the results would be. But why risk it? When I grill fish, I grill directly on the cooking grates, or in a few instances, I've used a fish basket. 2 Cents

Yeah I was worried about that however within the info that cam with the stone there are recipes for fish....so I was just curious. Maybe they use one for fish ONLY and one for pizza ONLY...who knows.

Will post in the dining section a few other questions.
Bought a mixed case of Coturri wines from Sonoma for $3 per bottle. Never had a wine from them before but very controversial from what I've read because of their natural winemaking, lack of SO2 use and barrel by barrel bottling:
2008 Coturri Winery Albarello
2008 Coturri Winery Carignane Testa Vineyards
2007 Coturri Winery Charbono Testa Vineyards
2004 Coturri Winery Merlot Feingold
2006 Coturri Winery Zinfandel Freiberg

3 cases of Italians:
12 x 2007 Sansovino Friularo Ambasciatore @ $3
24 x 2005 Castello Sonnino Lo Schiavone Toscana IGT @ $3

Also one Champagne:
1 x N.V. Pierre Péters Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve @ $37

VM
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

i never understood the kistler allocations

they totally hold you hostage for a wine after you can find the crappy designation int he secondary or even the retail market for less than they offer just for some super special single bottling that you could have had paying for cheaper if you didn't spend all that money buying 2 cases of the crappy starter wines.

My thoughts exactly...I've skipped my Kistler allocations precisely because of this.
quote:
Originally posted by Swade:
I just added the 2010 Le Vieux Donjon CdP too. I had been looking at these for a while.

I'm 45 and optimistic (I'd better be with wife who is 36 weeks pregnant). I'm hoping my 60 year old self is happy with a lot of these purchases.

Congratulations!
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
I bought 6 more 2010 Donjon Chateauneuf, after promising myself that I would not buy any more young wines that I will need to age. I don't know what the hell's wrong with me.

Clearly, some are taking Kramer's observations that most wines made today are open for business within 10 yrs. to heart and the cellar re-building has begun for a generation otherwise drinking theirs down Razz
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc

3 x 2002 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons
3 x 2004 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons
3 x NV Selosse Initiale

Wine Doc,

Have I ever told you I think you are a learned man of great intellect, style and benevolence? Wink

Not sure about the latter, but I do think it needs to be put to the test! Smile

Add Reply

Likes (0)