February 2013 - What are you buying?

quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
I opened a 2008 QED on Saturday. We should see Allred's tasting note in the near future. I'm sticking by my description I used at the winery last fall. "Slutty" - in a good way. Smile

there's a bad way? Confused

Slutty Bar Rafaelli - good.
Slutty Roseanne Barr - bad.
Ack
quote:
quote:
quote:
I opened a 2008 QED on Saturday. We should see Allred's tasting note in the near future. I'm sticking by my description I used at the winery last fall. "Slutty" - in a good way. Smile

there's a bad way? Confused

Slutty Bar Rafaelli - good.
Slutty Roseanne Barr - bad.
Ack

And I'll add:

Slutty wife (some other guy's) - sometimes can be good.....so I've heard!
Slutty wife (yours) - always bad.....unless you swing that way.

Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Got a pre-order email from Rasa:

2 x 2010 Rasa Occam's Razor Syrah Block 10 Seven Hills Vineyard
1 x 2011 Rasa Living in the Limelight Petit Verdot Dionysus Vineyard

I got that email too, but passed. I'll be buying the Vox Populi and Lyricist

I actually hesitated a bit, having tried none of those wines. However, the pricing was decent relative to a few of Rasa's other Syrahs (the Reserve, for example, which I didn't think was as good as the asking price), so I bit on the two. And, I'm curious to see what they do with a varietal Petit Verdot.

Who knows, Board-O, maybe we'll eventually meet at some offline and enjoy these together!
quote:
a new mountain bike frame... stoked.

Santa Cruz Highball Carbon. Bam.

I spent 4 years in Miami....where are the mountains? Razz....just busting your "bulls"....lots of cool places to ride. Nice choice by the way.
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:

I spent 4 years in Miami....where are the mountains? Razz....just busting your "bulls"....lots of cool places to ride. Nice choice by the way.

Smile

I get that a lot. We actually have some great, extremely technical, singletrack down here. One of the parks, Oleta River State Park, played host to the Olympic Qualifiers for (I believe) Atlanta '96. A lot of riders from Colorado and Utah winter down here to train. They've told me that since everything here is man-made / man-carved, it's overly technical. It's slower in South Florida (because of the lack of mountains), but it's extremely technical. So it's a good place to hone your skills... so I've been told.

We also have a lot of new parks popping up, one just a few miles form my house which is why I ride a lot (Virginia Key), and there's Amelia Earhart, and big, bad, Markham Park in Broward county.
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
quote:

Very nice!

Are you swapping parts from another bike?

Nope. All new build. I'm gonna build it up over the next 6 months.

My current ride is a Santa Cruz Chameleon with a Fox 120, American Classic MTB26's, and an e*thirteen singlespeed setup. It's my do-all, no fail, wrecking machine. I love it.

The Highball is gonna be my XC racing machine, so a totally different build / ride.

Do you ride?
2 X 2011 Alambrado Bonarda Gran Selección
1 X 2009 Casa Primicia Rioja Carravacas de Primicia
2 X 2011 Castillo De Aguaron Cariñena
1 X 2009 Château Les Combes
1 X 2009 Lornano Chianti Classico Le Macchie

2 X 2010 Le Prieure Côtes du Rhône Villages
2 X 2011 Domaine Rouxvale Cabernet Sauvignon
2 X 2009 jean-Pierre Moueix Bordeaux Controlle Private Reserve

2 X 2010 The House of Independent Producers Merlot La Bourgeoisie Bacchus Vineyard

2 X 2011 Tenuta Ca'Bolani Friuli Aquileia Sauvignon

2 X 2011 Tenuta Ca' Vescovo Friuli Aquileia Cabernet Sauvignon
1 x 2009 Vina Maipo Cabernet Sauvignon / Syrah
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
2009 Dominus.

mpls, do you have any experience with this or newer vintages of Dominus?
I have enjoyed early 90's and late 80's but hesitant to purchase any newer vintages. In your opinion, is today's style consistent with older vintages? TIA
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Kutch allocation:

12 x 2011 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
4 x 2011 Kutch Pinot Noir Savoy Vineyard

Smile

I just got the same allocation (less than a year) but don't know if the wine is worth it to buy 16 bottles. On the other hand, could i get kicked out if i buy less than half of the allocation.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
'96 Comte Armand Pommard 1er Cru Clos des Epeneaux

You're in for a treat. We had this blind in a line-up of 10 red burgs a few weeks ago and it was stunning. WOTN for many, for me it was a very close runner up.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. The notes from that evening caused me to seek one out.
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Kutch allocation:

12 x 2011 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
4 x 2011 Kutch Pinot Noir Savoy Vineyard

Smile

I just got the same allocation (less than a year) but don't know if the wine is worth it to buy 16 bottles. On the other hand, could i get kicked out if i buy less than half of the allocation.

I wouldn't be too concerned about being dropped. I purchase each go round, but have yet to take my full allocation.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
Kistler Chardonnay and Pinot noir allocation
KB allocation
Marcassin Chardonnay allocation

i never understood the kistler allocations

they totally hold you hostage for a wine after you can find the crappy designation int he secondary or even the retail market for less than they offer just for some super special single bottling that you could have had paying for cheaper if you didn't spend all that money buying 2 cases of the crappy starter wines.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
Kistler Chardonnay and Pinot noir allocation
KB allocation
Marcassin Chardonnay allocation

i never understood the kistler allocations

they totally hold you hostage for a wine after you can find the crappy designation int he secondary or even the retail market for less than they offer just for some super special single bottling that you could have had paying for cheaper if you didn't spend all that money buying 2 cases of the crappy starter wines.

g-man,
I have not had that experience. None of the bottles from the offering is something that I can get in the LWS. Maybe it's a Texas thing. The only Kistler I have seen for sale is the crappy Sonoma Coast bottling- the old Les Noisetier bottling. I have never seen any single vineyard bottling for sale - granted, I am not in the business so I am not privy to products that some (Nolan) may have access to. With that said, it is true that if you do not buy a case, you are limited in your "choice" and you have to buy a mixed 6 pack which is not necessarily the highest rated stuff. So yes you are held hostage if you do not buy 12 bottles. Fortunately I have a number of colleagues and friends who like to split my allocation and I get to cherry pick whatever and however much I want and split the rest of the allocation amongst them. Win-win. With that said, do you enjoy their wines?

Add Reply

Likes (0)