February 2013 Classics

What a difference a little criticism can make! Last October's catalogue was 80MBs, while the February catalogue downloads in 1.9MBs.

Pictures aren't as rich and crisp, but I'm not downloading artwork. OTOH, I do find the text a bit fuzzy, enough that it hurts my eyes after a little while. Maybe there's somewhere in between that would be better than either extreme.
quote:
Maybe there's somewhere in between that would be better than either extreme.

100% agree. It's an improvement for sure, but they went a touch on the extreme the other way.

I'm on the sidelines for sure, just got my 2009 Bdx Futures invoice which I kind of totally forgot about. The wife called me and said "I thought you said you stopped buying wine? You have a $10k invoice from LCBO". Eek I tried to explain to her that was purchased 2 years ago but she wouldn't have any of it (insert in the doghouse emoticon here)
A couple of the Rhones look interesting and I'm a huge fan of Hebrart, so I'll be requesting some of his Special Club, but this is mostly a pass for me too thank God. I love that the LCBO continues to try to peddle its obscenely overpriced '08 Bordeaux too.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
+1 on the sick pricing of the 08 Bordeaux. Just wait for bin ends on those - or go south.

Wish you're right but there are enough people with money to turn over the inventory and shelves are bare. The latest bin ends are a joke. I saw a wine that was like $49.95 on sale for $47.95. Business is good.
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
quote:
+1 on the sick pricing of the 08 Bordeaux. Just wait for bin ends on those - or go south.

Wish you're right but there are enough people with money to turn over the inventory and shelves are bare. The latest bin ends are a joke. I saw a wine that was like $49.95 on sale for $47.95. Business is good.

\

I hear you Stevey. Although good bin ends are few and far between, and the online bin ends are a joke, there have been some good ones:

Last year:
2007 Saffredi $75
1994 Warre's $75
2008 Sequin, Pessac Leognan $25

Thanks to Vijay and OTW for posting on the LCBO Price Alert Thread.

More recently the 2009 Galevan CDP $27.65, originally $41.95 (second price reduction).

Happy hunting.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
quote:

\

I hear you Stevey. Although good bin ends are few and far between, and the online bin ends are a joke, there have been some good ones:

Last year:
2007 Saffredi $75
1994 Warre's $75

More recently the 2009 Galevan CDP $27.65, originally $41.95 (second price reduction).

Happy hunting.

FYI: The LCBO site shows the Galevan at $34.50. Perhaps the price you cited is a store only reduction.
quote:

Last year:
2007 Saffredi $75
1994 Warre's $75

Happy hunting.

Darn, missed the Warre's. I was away for a while and come back and popped into Summerhill to see bare shelves. Looks like Ontarians gave LCBO a good Christmas present.

On topic, this is probably one of the most uninteresting Classics catelogue in a while.
[\

Happy hunting.[/QUOTE]

FYI: The LCBO site shows the Galevan at $34.50. Perhaps the price you cited is a store only reduction.[/QUOTE]

It could be a store markdown. However, the PC told me he marked down quite a few, which indicates either a list somewhere, or them reaching eligibility for markdown. You can always ask, citing the other store(s).

Back onto the thread.... Yes it is boring compared to the fall, but isn't fall traditionally the time for the big guns?
Pretty easy to figure out what I got since there seem to be relatively few sellouts. I missed getting the 08 Leoville Poyferre (they only had 20 btls) and the 2010 Bellene Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaut St Jacques (my daughter got this for me - a good reason to have kids).

I'm mildly surprised that the Hommage a Jacques Perrin didn't sell out given the differential vs the going US price.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Pretty easy to figure out what I got since there seem to be relatively few sellouts. I missed getting the 08 Leoville Poyferre (they only had 20 btls) and the 2010 Bellene Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaut St Jacques (my daughter got this for me - a good reason to have kids).

I'm mildly surprised that the Hommage a Jacques Perrin didn't sell out given the differential vs the going US price.

I asked, but didn't get any Hommage 2010 at all...
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
Allocations apparently are done. I have a payment waiting to be made in VSO (of course before I actually find out what I've been allocated).

I am in the same boat. When do we find out what we actually received?

You'll get an email, but VinC is right, if you phone they'll tell you.
Contrary to the information posted above, the payment deadline for your Classics order is Wednesday February 20. So relax.

On another note, I was able to pick up 2 of the 2010 Pinson Les Clos this morning. Still can't get the 08 Leoville Poyferre, but there were only 20 btls available.

And finally - for anyone wanting the 2010 Hommage a Jacques Perrin, I released 2 bottles out of my order.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Contrary to the information posted above, the payment deadline for your Classics order is Wednesday February 20. So relax.

Then someone is giving wrong info because here's what it says in the e-mail I received:

"Below is the status of your order. Please note that a bottle quantity of zero indicates the product is sold out, and not available.

Your payment deadline is February 15, 2013.

Vous trouverez ci-dessous le statut de votre commande. Veuillez noter que le nombre « zéro » sous la mention « nombre de bouteilles » indique que les stocks de ce produit sont épuisés et qu'il n'est donc plus disponible.

La date limite pour régler votre acompte le 15 février 2013.
"

Add Reply

Likes (0)