Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:
Originally posted by davec:
2005 Bond Matriarch - still young, old world style. Opens up with time.

Thanks for taking one for the team. I've got 3 resting and was wondering when to pop the cork on one. I guess I'll wait a little longer based on your review.

This was our first Matriarch. Will probably finish the bottle tomorrow or the next day, and will report back. Probably needs 2-3 years. Wanted to verify before ordering the '07. We're in. Might get two 3 packs.

We started planning our 2011 purchases, which we hope to get down to less than we drink in a year, and as little as half. With offers starting, we have to compare to be more selective, and be prepared to put in our orders early. We don't want to miss out on offers like the 47 minute Schrader offer. Wish us luck.

We started drinking our expected favorites to see from whom we wish to purchase. So far, in the last week or so, in addition to the Matriarch, we have also tried and added the maker to our list:
Lamborn - '05 Howell Mountain Cab
Paratus - '06 Mount Veeder Cab
Myriad - '08 Beckstoffer Dr Crane Cab
All 3 much more Cali Cab style.
Last edited by simonb
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by davec:
2005 Bond Matriarch - still young, old world style. Opens up with time.

Dave,

Thanks for taking one for the team. I've got 3 resting and was wondering when to pop the cork on one. I guess I'll wait a little longer based on your review.

I opened one about 6 months ago, and I gotta say, Dave is spot on. the wine is truly fantastic, but I won't touch my other 2 bottles for at least another 3 years. And i prefer my CA cabs with a bit of age, so I'm probably looking more at 2016+.
quote:
2009 Domaine D'Andezon Cote du Rhone - really nice wine, especially for $10! Just released. Great mouthfeel and balance on this pop and pour wine!

I too enjoyed this last night. Improved a little during the evening. Enjoyed with mushroom & spinach pizza with salad. I paid a little more - $13 from my LWS.
Jack Nicklaus:
Cab Sau, Napa Valley
Private Reserve, Napa Valley

Arnold Palmer
Chard Central Coast
Cab Sau Central Coast
Cab Sau Reserve, NApa Valley

This is part of the PGA Wine Tour of wines presented by Golfers.

Last week we had 5 Callaway wines, and their rating was a bogie. PGA Wine Tour rates wines:

Hole-In-One
Eagle
Birdie
Par
and Bogie

Fun part of this is that Greg Norman, Ernie Els, Jack, Faldo and Donald are all local folks [i.e. they have a house here].
quote:
Originally posted by JCT1000:
quote:
2009 Domaine D'Andezon Cote du Rhone - really nice wine, especially for $10! Just released. Great mouthfeel and balance on this pop and pour wine!

I too enjoyed this last night. Improved a little during the evening. Enjoyed with mushroom & spinach pizza with salad. I paid a little more - $13 from my LWS.

JCT,

I agree that this bottle was much better after 30+ minutes open. I did the "Mollydooker Shake" on the bottle after pouring one glass I put the cork back in and agitate the bottle a few times until the gas blows off. I use this technique on my inexpensive bottles in an attempt to aerate or open them up. I wouldn't recommend this for an 82 Lafite.
Shared with Ampuis and his lovely lady recently:

- 2003 Zind Humbrecht Riesling Hunawihr Clos Windsbuhl -- rich and silky, lots of citrus and mineral, long finish

- 1994 King Estate Pinot Noir -- shockingly good, like a Village or maybe Premier Burgundy that's 10-15 years old, great balance of fruit and acidity; a real revelation for me in just how well an Oregon Pinot can age and improve, (Ampuis also brought a 1998 Erath single vineyard Pinot, but unfortunately it was corked)

- 1999 Delas Cote-Rotie Segneur de Maugiron -- deep dark fruit flavours, mouth-coating, plush, drinking very well right now, outstanding and finished by us very quickly

- 1997 Grahams Port -- inky, intense, powerful, young, and great (375 ml)

Shared with Dunder and VanCityWino, and their much better halves, recently:

- NV Diebolt-Valois Champagne A Cramant -- really delicious fruit

- 1995 Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne Le Mesnil -- stunning nose, beautiful colour, and no disappointment in the mouth either, great bottle of wine

- 2002 Pegasus Bay Sauvignon/Semillon -- big citrus, peach, and lychee flavours

- 1993 Paulo Scavino Barolo Bric Del Fiasc -- drinks like a much younger wine, floral nose, lots of fruit, great acidity, will still go on for a long time

- 2004 Mauro Veglio Barolo Vignetto Arborina -- amazing how much this was like the previous wine, hard to believe they weren't close to the same age

- 2004 Antonelli Sagrantino di Montefalco -- balanced and tasty, seems still young

- 2004 Robert Foley Claret -- big and balanced, delicious

- 2002 Shafer Relentless -- powerhouse, intense fruit

- 1998 d'Arenberg Shiraz The Dead Arm -- interesting to have this right after Relentless, it's bigger yet more balanced, I think this may still be evolving and improving (based on having had 1 in each of the last 4 years)

- 1989 Shloss Schonborn Riesling Auslese Erbacher Marcobrunn -- shitty cork, amber colour, but somehow still has pretty intense and fairly sweet fruit, good not great

I've been drinking down my 1999 Gigondas for a few weeks (mostly through January)

- Santa Duc Prestige Haut Garrigues -- very good, quite silky, still lots of fruit, still some tannin at end

- St Cosme -- used to be pretty tannic but it's smooth now, plum and tobacco flavours, med. finish

- Montirius -- last bottle, and I'm sorry I drank my others a few years ago, this is the best of the 7 or 8 different Gigondas that I bought this vintage, and it's still showing strong, can go a few more years I think; a great value when I bought it

- Brusset Les Hauts Montmirail -- always solid, seems a bit faded now

- Tardieu-Laurent Vielles Vignes -- I had high hopes for this and am disappointed, it's drinkable but tired, lot of drying tannins on the finish, and I still have 2 bottles
quote:
I gave this bottle a "Mollydooker" shake to aerate and it opened up nicely almost immediately. I think you could pop and pour this one although it does benefit from a little air time (<30 min).I am really liking the inexpensive 2009 Rhones that I have tried so far better than any other recent vintage.

Thanks. I was very impressed with all the 2009s we tasted last summer, from the CdRs to the top of the line wines.
quote:
Just popped the cork on a 2003 Chateau Puygueraud

weird, I was going to do the same tonite, but it was my last bottle and was hoping to do a 2000, 03, 05 tasting. I went for a 2007 Renegade Wine Co Columbia Valley Cab instead, mainly because I had nothing from Cahors or Fronsac in my cellar.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1995 Leroy Clos Vougeot, an exquisite wine.
1995 Leroy Chambertin. While clearly stunning, just entering her drinking window.

This thing called cabin fever is not healthy. Smile

Nice wine! I think the Leroy 1978 Chambertin was my WOTY a few years ago.

In my dreams tonight, I will simply tote your wine bag. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
quote:
Ginger Ale (neat)

You do indeed dwell in Utah.

Easy there, Tex; just trying to get over a cold. Wink

I have not been sick in 17 years (knock on wood) but feel like I'm pushing my luck. Two weeks in Europe, and now a crazy cold week in Dallas may be too much.

I'm off to Southern California for five days next week. Cool
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ginger Ale (neat)

You do indeed dwell in Utah.

Easy there, Tex; just trying to get over a cold. Wink

I have not been sick in 17 years (knock on wood) but feel like I'm pushing my luck. Two weeks in Europe, and now a crazy cold week in Dallas may be too much.

I'm off to Southern California for five days next week. Cool

I have been fortunate to evade the "bugs" that my son brings home from preschool, and we are fastidious hand-washers in our home. This time I wasn't so lucky.

You think you have cabin fever. Mad
At a tasting this eve:

Doquet Brut NV Champagne, NV
Pommery Brut, NV
2005 Poggio Antico Brunello di Montalcino,
2008 Schloss Vollrads Kabinett,
2007 Chapoutier “La Berandine” Chat du Pape
2006 Two Hands “Bella’s Garden” Shiraz (AU)
2007 Argyle, Reserve Pinot Noir
2006 Silverado Vineyards “SOLO” (Napa)
2007 Chimney Rock “Stag’s Leap” (Napa)
2005 Heitz Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
2007 Chateau Montelena Napa Cabernet
2006 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cab Sauvignon (my WOTN)
2008 CARM Reserve (Portugal)
2007 Cadre Pinot Noir “ The Architects,”
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
2003 Guigal Cote Rotie Brune et Blonde
Nice. How is this drinking?

+1

I have been trying a bottle every six to nine months from the case I purchased few years back. This was the best showing by far with the warm sweet fruit of the vintage at the core. The tannins are pretty much resolved with secondary aroma/flavors well in the mix.
Wednesday night:
2007 Rhys Chard
2005 Guyon Corton Charlemange
1997 Jaboulet La Chappele
2006 (?) vice versa
a 2006 italian supertuscan whose name I cannot spell but was 100% sangiovese and needed lots of time.
a 2001 italian syrah that Manfred Krankle is involved in that rocked.

Thursday at Chateau Stefania (guys please fill in names as I did not catch all the bottles):

a bubbly that was enjoyable
2008 Stefania Chard (wonderful with the crab)
2007 Ridge Santa Cruz Mountain Chard
1999 Ridge Monte Bello (was in a great place)
1984 Ridge ?????? Zinfandel (the ballpark frank wine)
1985 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow (in a great place)
2007 Sesson cab (for the money this was a good as it gets - I'll be buying)
2008 Stefania SCM cab
2008 Copper-Garrod viognier
There were also two pinots (one of which came in a 35lb bottle) that I did not get the producer names (or have since forgotten)

Friday - lots of airplane water. Wink
G
Last edited by thirstyman
quote:
quote:
quote:
1995 Leroy Clos Vougeot, an exquisite wine.
1995 Leroy Chambertin. While clearly stunning, just entering her drinking window.

This thing called cabin fever is not healthy. Smile

Nice wine! I think the Leroy 1978 Chambertin was my WOTY a few years ago.

In my dreams tonight, I will simply tote your wine bag. Wink
I think there has been more than one year where I could say that a Leroy wine was my wine of the year. I think I own more Leroy than any other producer. I've especially found the 1966 and 1964 vintages to show very well over the last 10 years. M. Bize just seems to get it right way more than wrong.
quote:
I was very impressed by the 2007 La Bernardine last summer. I called it outstanding and said it will improve. It was showing no signs of closing up.

It was at a discount last night, about $40, but the store that offered it should have it marked down again soon. The WS review uses words such as "brawny" and "muscular." I found it focussed, but tending more toward "pretty." Good wine.
Evening started with a '97 Poggio Alle Mura, old world style nose, not really my style, but still good, and a '97 Elderton Barossa Command Shiraz, which was quite good, and very live. Both were quite good with manocotti, garlic bread, and salad.

2006 Bond Matriarch. Openned with the others, and decanted 1.5+ hours. Big nose. More fruit forward, and more new world than the '05. Very tasty. I like it more than the '05, but I like them young and Cali style. Justified my '07 order. I'll double up if they'll let me.
Last edited by simonb
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
2008 Hamilton Russell Walker Bay Chardonnay.

Look at you heading down to South Africa. Thoughts?

Excellent wine, excellent.

I will be buying more. The wine drinks like an $80+ Burgundian wine. I plan on sticking it in a blind tasting of Burgundian wines. Wink
Last night was a 2004 Produttori Barbaresco Riserva Montestefano with homemade pizzas - I know it is still young, but I just had to give these 2004 Produttori Riservas a try and it did not disappoint.

Tonight will be a 2003 Alban Reva with BBQ pork sandwiches, baked beans and corn on the cob to go with an American theme as we watch the Superbowl. Need to make room for my Lorriane and Seymore Albans which should be coming soon.

Cheers
From the few 2003s I've had, this seems to be an early drinking vintage. The few right bank wines I've had in the last year seem ready to go. This wine is probably still improving, but I don't think it needs much more time, maybe a year or two. With one bottle, I'd probably have it in 2 years. Alternatively, watch for tasting notes to see what people have to say as time goes by.
quote:
quote:
quote:

I will be buying more. The wine drinks like an $80+ Burgundian wine. I plan on sticking it in a blind tasting of Burgundian wines. Wink

They make Burgundian style pinot as well. We had one with a meal while down there. A bit of an unusual location. Pretty much right on the ocean.
quote:
From the few 2003s I've had, this seems to be an early drinking vintage. The few right bank wines I've had in the last year seem ready to go. This wine is probably still improving, but I don't think it needs much more time, maybe a year or two. With one bottle, I'd probably have it in 2 years. Alternatively, watch for tasting notes to see what people have to say as time goes by.

I believe that I have only had one 2003 - Smith Haut Lafitte. It seemed to be consistent with what I have heard of the vintage; ripe and muscular.

Just curious, did the Duhart-Milon exhibit those same characteristics?
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They make Burgundian style pinot as well. We had one with a meal while down there. A bit of an unusual location. Pretty much right on the ocean.

Good to know. I'm not sure it is in our market.

The Chardonnay was brought into our market by Lance, one of my go-to buyers and drinking buddy as you know.

I will inquire.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good to know. I'm not sure it is in our market.

The Chardonnay was brought into our market by Lance, one of my go-to buyers and drinking buddy as you know.

I will inquire.

I've had the Pinot from this producer several times and have always enjoyed them. I have one bottle in my cellar now (can't remember the vintage, 2005 or 2006 I believe). Have to keep an eye out for the chardonnay.
Kind of funny wine+art & eyesintime...

When I ordered the bottle from the wine list (it was a bit pricey for your average South African not that I'm South African) it has such as distinctive style that after the waitress took the order the sommelier came over and basically quizzed me before he opened the bottle to make sure I knew what I was doing. According to him they had several bottles sent back because most of their patrons didn't understand what they were getting into when they ordered it so I had to be qualified to drink it. Big Grin
quote:
Kind of funny wine+art & eyesintime...

When I ordered the bottle from the wine list (it was a bit pricey for your average South African not that I'm South African) it has such as distinctive style that after the waitress took the order the sommelier came over and basically quizzed me before he opened the bottle to make sure I knew what I was doing. According to him they had several bottles sent back because most of their patrons didn't understand what they were getting into when they ordered it so I had to be qualified to drink it. Big Grin

Sounds like wine-fetchers (GA term) are the same all over the world. Wink

I never think of Pinot when thinking of wine from South Africa.
This weekend at the cottage with special friends

1990 Chateau Larmande
1990 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume
1998 Chateau Beaucastel
1999 Guigal CdP
1999 Ellner Brut Champagne
1999 Antinori Pian delle Vugne
1998 Sassicaia
2002 Spottswood
2007 Kistler Vine Hill Vineyard
2001 Vieux Telegraphe
2003 Newton Chardonnay

All the wines showed extremely well, but the wine of the weekend, and a bit of a surprise, was the '99 Guigal CdP. It is/was a well deserved WS WOTN. There was much debate when it was selected amongst great company, but in hindsight, a wise choice.
Didn't think I would partake in drinking this weekend since I was sick this week, but managed to come around. Wink

2008 Benziger Chardonnay - a friend brought it over last night and I had a couple glasses. Not what I like in Chardonnay...oak.
2007 Clos La Coutale Cahors - lacked much fruit, compared to the bottle I had last year. Lacks much depth or finish. I would drink up.
quote:
All the wines showed extremely well, but the wine of the weekend, and a bit of a surprise, was the '99 Guigal CdP. It is/was a well deserved WS WOTN. There was much debate when it was selected amongst great company, but in hindsight, a wise choice.

Just curious - did you decant the '99 Guigal and if so, how long? I've tried this twice in the last two years and was underwhelmed. Stashed the rest in my cellar hoping it would eventually come around ...
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:

1990 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millénaires

Hi K, how many secondaries had this one picked up? Not tiring I'd imagine, but would you consider it on the way up? At its peak?

Thanks, and I hope you all enjoyed it!

This bottle showed still quite young, IB. Still not very complex (regarding secondaries). But still showing very well indeed. Pain grille, hazelnut, citrus. All is beautiful balance and harmony.

Absolutely gorgeous, this Champagne. The best vintage of several, IMO. absolutely superior.
This is D's absolute favorite overall as well of any other producer she's had the pleasure of experiencing.
quote:

Absolutely gorgeous, this Champagne. The best vintage of several, IMO. absolutely superior.
This is D's absolute favorite overall as well of any other producer she's had the pleasure of experiencing.

Smile Thanks for the notes, and I'm glad your visitor's last eve was an excellent one!

I've got some of the 1995 version. Based on its youthful zinginess a couple of years ago and your thoughts, it'll need another decade+ for my tastes. Good to get some impressions on one that's got a five year head start.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
I've got some of the 1995 version. Based on its youthful zinginess a couple of years ago and your thoughts, it'll need another decade+ for my tastes. Good to get some impressions on one that's got a five year head start.

IB, I've found the '90 and the '95 showing quite differently. If you have a few, I would 'check in' on the '95. I'm finding the '90 to be aging more slowly and built for the longer term. While similar, they are not the same.
quote:
Dok, any impressions on these two wines? Was thinking on checking in on the '98 Beau soon and the '02 Spottswoode has always been a favourite of mine.

I'd hold the Beaucastel at least 5 more or more years, and enjoy the Spottswood now, but it could easily go 3-5 more. The Beaucastel is not showing any tertiary flavours yet, but has nice crushed raspberries and spice on the nose.
quote:
Originally posted by Nixster2:
quote:

Just curious - did you decant the '99 Guigal and if so, how long? I've tried this twice in the last two years and was underwhelmed. Stashed the rest in my cellar hoping it would eventually come around ...

I've had the same results on my last 2 bottles. Interesting. Still have a couple left. I was going to cook with them!!! Eek Guess I'll try again.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Gosset Grand Rose Brut~ NV

1985 Latour Grand Vin ~ amazing how this wine evolved throughout the night. Started off closed after 1.5-2 hours in a decanter but over the course of dinner turned into something special.

2001 BDM La Leccaia ~ very good
2001 Chataeu Daugay ~ very tired

We recently had the 1982 Latour, which to me was something special indeed. That was son #2's birth year so we purchased 2 bottles. Had one on his 21st birthday, and could tell it still had a ways to go. We had the other over Christmas to celebrate his engagement. Unfortunately, we only got the 2, only a memory now.
Before, during, and after the game yesterday -

2009 St. Clement Sauvignon Blanc
2008 Artesa Chardonnay Estate Reserve Carneros
2008 Santa Barbara Wine Company Pinot Noir North Canyon Vineyard
2007 Taz Pinot Noir Santa Barbara County
2007 Belle Glos Pinot Noir Las Alturas Vineyard
2008 Sbragia Family Merlot Home Ranch
2007 Audelssa Estate Winery Zephyr
2006 O'Shaughnessy Cabernet Sauvignon Mt. Veeder
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
2008 Chehalem INOX Chardonnay. Note to winemakers: is oak really necessary for chardonnay? I think not.

This went oh so well with a soft eggs & lobster bruschetta...

Mrs. G and I have always enjoyed this wine; it is an excellent value.

Gig, how would you compare this to Melville's INOX, if you've had it? I plan to conduct my own comparison, but I'm curious what your thoughts might be?
2009 Domaine La Garrigue Cuvee Romaine CdR
2008 Au Bon Climat Santa Barbara PN

Had both this past weekend. Really enjoyed the Domaine La Garrigue; incredible QPR. Glad I bought several bottles, but I won't be touching any of the rest for at least another year or two.

Was highly disappointed with the ABC. This was the first ABC I've had, but I found the wine very thin and without much structure. Just completely uninspiring. Would be hard pressed to spend even more $ on an ABC single-vineyard wine after this first impression. Oh well.
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Gosset Grand Rose Brut~ NV

How was this btw? The guy at Leaside couldn't seem to find them on Saturday monrning and I got tired of waiting for him to look, so I haven't pitcked any up yet.

good but not great! We enjoyed it but thought that it was a tad 1 dimensional and on the heavier side.
i think it will benefit from sitting for a year or two in the cellar. Also, at $80, I don't think I'll be buying anymore.
quote:
quote:
quote:
2008 Chehalem INOX Chardonnay. Note to winemakers: is oak really necessary for chardonnay? I think not.

This went oh so well with a soft eggs & lobster bruschetta...

Mrs. G and I have always enjoyed this wine; it is an excellent value.

Gig, how would you compare this to Melville's INOX, if you've had it? I plan to conduct my own comparison, but I'm curious what your thoughts might be?

Unfortunately, the Melville is not available in this market - at least, I haven't seen it. The only Melville wine I've had is the Viognier, which was generously gifted to me by wine+art.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
good but not great! We enjoyed it but thought that it was a tad 1 dimensional and on the heavier side.
i think it will benefit from sitting for a year or two in the cellar. Also, at $80, I don't think I'll be buying anymore.

Good to know. I'll take it off my radar.

Me too.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Another Juan Gil

It's Tuesday. F&ck it Razz

35 minutes after your first bottle?

I see you are drinking alone. Big Grin

Big Grin D and I.
It's been a trying couple of weeks. Time to let off a little steam.

Ha...if D is there, I have a better suggestion for a relaxing evening! Wink

I'm off to see if there is any seafood in this Southern California town. Bye!
Went for a check-up at the Doc the other day.
He said, "WTF? Your triglycerides just went through the roof on your last blood exam".

"Can wine do that?"

"Maybe. Did you have some the night before your test?"

"Urr...yeah. One"

"One wine?"

"One bottle"

" Eek How often do you do that?"

"I try to limit it"

"To what? A few times a month?"

"Mmmmm...a week"

"That's it. Time for a change, my friend"

I'm working on it Smile
quote:
Went for a check-up at the Doc the other day.
He said, "WTF? Your triglycerides just went through the roof on your last blood exam".

"Can wine do that?"

"Maybe. Did you have some the night before your test?"

"Urr...yeah. One"

"One wine?"

"One bottle"

" Eek How often do you do that?"

"I try to limit it"

"To what? A few times a month?"

"Mmmmm...a week"

"That's it. Time for a change, my friend"

I'm working on it Smile

One bottle a week? Are you sure you gave your Doc the right info?

Smile