Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
quote:
Originally posted by AZwineRyan:
1985 Dr. Loosen Riesling
2008 Aubert Chardonnay Ritchie Vineyard
1994 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet
1996 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet (we were all shocked how bright and vibrant it was for 15 years old)
2008 Tor Cabernet Mast Vineyard
2008 Tor Cabernet To-Kalon Clone 6
2008 Tor Cabernet To-Kalon Clone 337
2008 Tor Cabernet To-Kalon Clone 4
2005 Janzen Cabernet To-Kalon
2006 Vice Versa Cabernet To-Kalon

Bastards!

What did you think of the Tor wines?

The Tor wines were great!

The 08 Mast was very approachable young, and hard not to enjoy at the price. It's just a great drinking wine.

The 08 Clone 6 was the most open and accessible of the To-Kalon bottlings, but my least favorite. It just wasn't as structured as the others, and the nose wasn't as flamboyant.

Now the 08 Clone 337 and Clone 4 were incredible. Very flamboyant noses with gobs of blueberries, flowers, wet stones and minerality. Great fruit, complexity, structure and finish on both. It was tough to pick a favorite between these two, and I'd say it's a bit of a combination. The nose of the Clone 4 was off the charts, and the clear winner...I'm still thinking about the 4's aromatics. But I found the palate of the 337 to be a tad more enjoyable at this current state, though it was negligible. I guess with that said, I'd say the Clone 4 is the superior wine, but I'd really be splitting hairs because they were both outstanding - not to mention the Clone 4 is the sole Magnum only bottling, so it's rather pricey.

And on a side note, the 96 Beringer PR Cab showed very well. It was drinking more like an 06 than a 96. And Chris A and I both agreed that the 08 Aubert Ritchie showed much better this time around than the one you opened back in December...crazy what just a couple months did for that one, it's a killer bottle of Chard.
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
Originally posted by AZwineRyan:
1985 Dr. Loosen Riesling
2008 Aubert Chardonnay Ritchie Vineyard
1994 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet
1996 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet (we were all shocked how bright and vibrant it was for 15 years old)
2008 Tor Cabernet Mast Vineyard
2008 Tor Cabernet To-Kalon Clone 6
2008 Tor Cabernet To-Kalon Clone 337
2008 Tor Cabernet To-Kalon Clone 4
2005 Janzen Cabernet To-Kalon
2006 Vice Versa Cabernet To-Kalon

I have GOT to stop missing these... Mad

Yeah, you and Todd are slackers. I think you two put too much time into work and family. Big Grin

It'd take an awful lot to keep me away from a good tasting. Heck, I haven't missed a single one in a looong time.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2009 Juan Gil (white label)
Hands down my QPR of the year, overall, in this area.
Great fruit, balanced, fresh. Not stunning but refreshing and fulfilling.
A wonderful wine easy to pair with many meals.

Far too many meals according to your doctor, right? Razz You probably never thought moving back to Montreal would be so bad for your health did you? Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:

W+A

Enjoy sunny San Diego! I'm curious what is resting in you rooms refrigerator Smile

xhoser, I brought the '98 Chapoutier Ermitage Le Pavillion and a '98 Chapoutier Ermitage De L'Oree with me from Dallas.

Funny how life is a ying and a yang kind of affair. Last week I was in Tampa at Bern's drinking fabulous wines in a warm environment while wine+art was freezing back here in Dallas. Now he's in San Diego drinking fabulous wines in a warm environment while I'm freezing back here in Dallas.

Enjoy your turn my friend.
quote:
Originally posted by jqmunro:
2008 El Nido Clio - first taste is wow. Much more balanced than the past few years. Maybe something akin to the 2004? I have to open a 2004 soon...

Obvious wood should integrate nicely in a couple years. This is the style that Cali cabs should aim for.

Good to hear. I bought 6 today.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by jqmunro:
2008 El Nido Clio - first taste is wow. Much more balanced than the past few years. Maybe something akin to the 2004? I have to open a 2004 soon...

Obvious wood should integrate nicely in a couple years. This is the style that Cali cabs should aim for.

Good to hear. I bought 6 today.

This wine is really bizarre as it opens up. I'm beginning to get the sense of a blend of fine cru beaujolais, and a southern rhone grenache based wine. Me thinks I have too many bubble on the brain, but this is surely an interesting bottle of wine.

I can accept that people say Clio can be hot and heavy on the palate sometimes, but it surely represents Jumilla in quite a fine fashion.
1998 Latour a Pomerol: Last night for my daughter's 13th birthday. Served with herb encrusted rack of lamb. Very good pairing with the sweetness of the rare cooked lamb. Nose had berry, plum, tobacco and a little barnyard, but not too much to distract. The palate had blackberry, plum and tobacco on the front end but finished up with bit of rasberry on the back. The rasberry maybe attributed to the tannins still present but barely on the drying side. Overall a nice bottle that is in a good spot and should hold for a while. 91-92pts.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
2006 Neal, Cabernet Sauvignon

Opened up nicely by the time we got to the end of the bottle. Decant if you drink now or hold.

Hi Steve, how would you compare the profile to other vintages'?

Indy, I've only ever had the 2001-2004 vintages. Liked the 01 the best with the 02 next. The 2006 reminds me of the 2002. Firm tannins, it will benefit from some cellar time.
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by fcs:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
2007 Jermann Vinnaioli Dreams
2005 Sette Ponti Oreno

W+A, wondering what you thought of the Dreams

W+A, wondering what you thought of the Oreno. I would have thought it to be quite young still.

Young indeed, but welcome to ordering from a local wine list. Smile

I do think this wine is entering her drinking window in my opinion. (2011-2020)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.