Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
2008 Hamilton Russell Walker Bay Chardonnay.


Look at you heading down to South Africa. Thoughts?


Excellent wine, excellent.

I will be buying more. The wine drinks like an $80+ Burgundian wine. I plan on sticking it in a blind tasting of Burgundian wines. Wink


They make Burgundian style pinot as well. We had one with a meal while down there. A bit of an unusual location. Pretty much right on the ocean.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
From the few 2003s I've had, this seems to be an early drinking vintage. The few right bank wines I've had in the last year seem ready to go. This wine is probably still improving, but I don't think it needs much more time, maybe a year or two. With one bottle, I'd probably have it in 2 years. Alternatively, watch for tasting notes to see what people have to say as time goes by.

I believe that I have only had one 2003 - Smith Haut Lafitte. It seemed to be consistent with what I have heard of the vintage; ripe and muscular.

Just curious, did the Duhart-Milon exhibit those same characteristics?
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
2008 Hamilton Russell Walker Bay Chardonnay.


Look at you heading down to South Africa. Thoughts?


Excellent wine, excellent.

I will be buying more. The wine drinks like an $80+ Burgundian wine. I plan on sticking it in a blind tasting of Burgundian wines. Wink


They make Burgundian style pinot as well. We had one with a meal while down there. A bit of an unusual location. Pretty much right on the ocean.


Good to know. I'm not sure it is in our market.

The Chardonnay was brought into our market by Lance, one of my go-to buyers and drinking buddy as you know.

I will inquire.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
2008 Hamilton Russell Walker Bay Chardonnay.


Look at you heading down to South Africa. Thoughts?


Excellent wine, excellent.

I will be buying more. The wine drinks like an $80+ Burgundian wine. I plan on sticking it in a blind tasting of Burgundian wines. Wink


They make Burgundian style pinot as well. We had one with a meal while down there. A bit of an unusual location. Pretty much right on the ocean.


Good to know. I'm not sure it is in our market.

The Chardonnay was brought into our market by Lance, one of my go-to buyers and drinking buddy as you know.

I will inquire.


I've had the Pinot from this producer several times and have always enjoyed them. I have one bottle in my cellar now (can't remember the vintage, 2005 or 2006 I believe). Have to keep an eye out for the chardonnay.
Kind of funny wine+art & eyesintime...

When I ordered the bottle from the wine list (it was a bit pricey for your average South African not that I'm South African) it has such as distinctive style that after the waitress took the order the sommelier came over and basically quizzed me before he opened the bottle to make sure I knew what I was doing. According to him they had several bottles sent back because most of their patrons didn't understand what they were getting into when they ordered it so I had to be qualified to drink it. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
Kind of funny wine+art & eyesintime...

When I ordered the bottle from the wine list (it was a bit pricey for your average South African not that I'm South African) it has such as distinctive style that after the waitress took the order the sommelier came over and basically quizzed me before he opened the bottle to make sure I knew what I was doing. According to him they had several bottles sent back because most of their patrons didn't understand what they were getting into when they ordered it so I had to be qualified to drink it. Big Grin


Sounds like wine-fetchers (GA term) are the same all over the world. Wink

I never think of Pinot when thinking of wine from South Africa.
This weekend at the cottage with special friends

1990 Chateau Larmande
1990 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume
1998 Chateau Beaucastel
1999 Guigal CdP
1999 Ellner Brut Champagne
1999 Antinori Pian delle Vugne
1998 Sassicaia
2002 Spottswood
2007 Kistler Vine Hill Vineyard
2001 Vieux Telegraphe
2003 Newton Chardonnay

All the wines showed extremely well, but the wine of the weekend, and a bit of a surprise, was the '99 Guigal CdP. It is/was a well deserved WS WOTN. There was much debate when it was selected amongst great company, but in hindsight, a wise choice.
Didn't think I would partake in drinking this weekend since I was sick this week, but managed to come around. Wink

2008 Benziger Chardonnay - a friend brought it over last night and I had a couple glasses. Not what I like in Chardonnay...oak.
2007 Clos La Coutale Cahors - lacked much fruit, compared to the bottle I had last year. Lacks much depth or finish. I would drink up.
quote:
All the wines showed extremely well, but the wine of the weekend, and a bit of a surprise, was the '99 Guigal CdP. It is/was a well deserved WS WOTN. There was much debate when it was selected amongst great company, but in hindsight, a wise choice.


Just curious - did you decant the '99 Guigal and if so, how long? I've tried this twice in the last two years and was underwhelmed. Stashed the rest in my cellar hoping it would eventually come around ...
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:

1990 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millénaires


Hi K, how many secondaries had this one picked up? Not tiring I'd imagine, but would you consider it on the way up? At its peak?

Thanks, and I hope you all enjoyed it!

This bottle showed still quite young, IB. Still not very complex (regarding secondaries). But still showing very well indeed. Pain grille, hazelnut, citrus. All is beautiful balance and harmony.

Absolutely gorgeous, this Champagne. The best vintage of several, IMO. absolutely superior.
This is D's absolute favorite overall as well of any other producer she's had the pleasure of experiencing.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:

Absolutely gorgeous, this Champagne. The best vintage of several, IMO. absolutely superior.
This is D's absolute favorite overall as well of any other producer she's had the pleasure of experiencing.


Smile Thanks for the notes, and I'm glad your visitor's last eve was an excellent one!

I've got some of the 1995 version. Based on its youthful zinginess a couple of years ago and your thoughts, it'll need another decade+ for my tastes. Good to get some impressions on one that's got a five year head start.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
I've got some of the 1995 version. Based on its youthful zinginess a couple of years ago and your thoughts, it'll need another decade+ for my tastes. Good to get some impressions on one that's got a five year head start.

IB, I've found the '90 and the '95 showing quite differently. If you have a few, I would 'check in' on the '95. I'm finding the '90 to be aging more slowly and built for the longer term. While similar, they are not the same.
quote:
Dok, any impressions on these two wines? Was thinking on checking in on the '98 Beau soon and the '02 Spottswoode has always been a favourite of mine.

I'd hold the Beaucastel at least 5 more or more years, and enjoy the Spottswood now, but it could easily go 3-5 more. The Beaucastel is not showing any tertiary flavours yet, but has nice crushed raspberries and spice on the nose.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×