Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Keeno:
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
Tonight, Yak burgers on the grill. I've had many kinds of game meat - deer, elk, moose, antelope - but never yak, which I hear is really good.

Will find a nice Syrah or Shiraz to go along with it Smile

How was the yak?

Excellent! Have to say that of all the game meat I've had, moose is still my favorite. But this was really good and I'm glad I have some leftovers for tonight.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
...of all the game meat I've had, moose is still my favorite.

Always wanted to try that. Not sure why. Just because of extreme curiosity.

How do you prepare this, typically?

I've had the good fortune of having co-workers who are excellent hunters. A few years ago, our warehouse manager shot a trophy size moose (an amazingly BIG animal) and he turned me on to a sizable amount of moose steaks and ground moose. I've found that of all the game meat I've had it's the most flavorful.

I don't do very much at all in preparation. Perhaps it's a mistake on my part but I rarely do any kind of marinade for fear that it will take away from the "gamey" aspect of the meat, which I find to be really delicious. Put another way, I just find that the meat itself is so flavorful that, for me, no spices or marinades are necessary.

This meat is extremely lean so I always grill it - be it steaks or burgers - on low heat. It takes longer but too much heat and/or time on the grill and you'll end up with leather... I mean, it'll be almost inedible.

I also use ground moose (or other game meat) as when I make a pasta dish. Again, pretty simple stuff (because I'm admittedly no chef!) but I'll saute a bunch of mushrooms first, then I'll slow cook the meat on the stove. When it's done I'll add some pasta sauce and crushed garlic, and mix in the mushrooms. Once the pasta's done I just mix it all together.
quote:
Thanks for the feedback, duckfan.

I agree with your statements regarding marinading, and losing the gamey taste. I do enjoy the gamey taste of most wild game meat.
I'll keep this aside for the inevitable time that I will source some of this locally.

Just keep your hands off of Bullwinkle! I can't have you consuming one of my childhood icons. Wink
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Just keep your hands off of Bullwinkle! I can't have you consuming one of my childhood icons. Wink

Your saying that has just put a perverted twist to an otherwise innocent affair.
Thanks! Red Face Razz

I thought you might take a swing at that nice, fat softball that I lobbed right over the middle of the plate. (Double Razz)
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your saying that has just put a perverted twist to an otherwise innocent affair.
Thanks! Red Face Razz

I thought you might take a swing at that nice, fat softball that I lobbed right over the middle of the plate. (Double Razz)

Considering what ornery, mean animals moose can be (as you probably know, they ain't no Bullwinkle!) I simply adopted the "I'd rather it be him than me" approach when it comes who's going to be whose dinner! Big Grin
Last edited by duckfaninmt

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.