Board -O ...I agree about the quality of Martinelli's wines, but I have been there twice and each time was offered only a very limited selection to taste. Has your experience been different there?

But I digress.. My favorite Napa experience was at Shafer; Sonoma at A. Rafanelli.
Three wineries I will visit every trip I make to Napa.

Etude: I can not think of another winery that does both Cabernet and Pinot as well.

School House: Nothing like tasting outstanding Pinot on Spring Mountain of all places in the Kitchen of really wonderfull down to earth people. Feels like you are visiting family you have not seen in years.

Trespass: Don is a great guy that is generous to a fault with barrel samples. More like meeting a buddy for a drink than vising a tasting room. Meet him at the vineyard on you way up Spring Mountain or in the Venge Caves on your way up Howell Mountain.
Napa - Caldwell. John is a great guy and the wines are terrific.

Sonoma - Believe it or not, the visits at Hop Kiln have been the most enjoyable. The wine has sometimes been just ok, but the staff has always been memorable.

Oregon - J.K. Carriere. Probably shouldn't let that out of the bag, but...
Trespass- caves and vineyard are a great tasting and the people and wine are very good.

Trespass: Don is a great guy that is generous to a fault with barrel samples. More like meeting a buddy for a drink than vising a tasting room. Meet him at the vineyard on you way up Spring Mountain or in the Venge Caves on your way up Howell Mountain.[/QUOTE]
i probably pimp them too much already, but, i really do think that my favorite now is Babcock, and has been for a while... the last few vintages, i just havent had a bad wine from them, even the Cabernet and Cab Blends (which ive notoriously slammed from Central Coast wineries, but chalk it up to better sources and improved farming in the Santa Ynez Valley and ridiculous pricing from Napa & Sonoma)... everything i think is priced fairly for the quality, and i love visiting the tasting room off hwy 246.
Napa: Though I have not been in a very long time, the Diamond Creek release party is absolutely wonderful. I also enjoy Outpost when TRB is around (so you can barrel taste Maybach, Schrader, etc...). The view is amazing.

Sonoma: Medlock Ames. They have a zeal about what they do and their dinners in the vineyard are not to be missed. Also good is Peter Michael. While it is a little white shoe, it is a wonderful tour and tasting.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
We had a Babcock wine dinner here somewhere around a year and a half ago. All the wines were well-made and, though in their infancy, showed great promise.

i remember your post, and you know, the thing is... ive had better wines from other wineries, some even at similar price points, but when i look at the whole portfolio, what i have and what ive had from them, it just all adds up.
In Napa, my favorites are Karl Lawrence and Trespass- both for reasons already mentioned. Nothing better than tasting through barrel samples, hanging out with the winemakers/owners and leisurely talking about their wines.

In Healdsburg, can't beat spending time with John Holdredge and his fantastic Pinot's. I haven't done any barrel tasting with him- note to self to get the opportunity to do that next time.
quote:
Originally posted by somewinenapa:
Apologize in advance if this has been discussed, went back several pages and didn't see anything but....
what is your absolute favorite winery to visit in Napa or Sonoma - and why?

Why limit us to only CA? i like some in NYS. Favorite to me would include dining areas, local sites, and staff, not only the wine.

Napa: Del Dotto - wines. caves and folks
V Sattuti - Wines not that good, but a fun place, and nice folks
Napa-
Lewelling for the best personal interaction.
Etude for the best tasting experience (quantity and quality).
Pride for the trip there, the view, and some pretty good wine.

Sonoma -
Martinelli for the wine.
Ferrari-Carano for the beautiful grounds and building.

Add Reply

Likes (0)