Favorite Christmas/Holiday Songs

With the Holiday Season in full swing, I thought this might be an enjoyable thread to start.

Off the top of my head:

Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song
Vince Guaraldi - My Little Drum
Mannheim Steamroller - Silent Night
Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby please come home)
Original Post
I'm usually burnt out on Christmas music by the beginning of December just because the radio stations can't hold off and start playing it on the Friday after Thanksgiving.... Roll Eyes

But, give me standard Christmas carols done by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir near the holiday and I get my Ho Ho Ho back.

PH
Mino Cinelu and Dianne Reeves' version of "The 12 Days of Christmas."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru5JMwFAv1k

Leon Redbone's "Christmas Island."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7JUBN1YXaA

Bruce Cockburn's "Shepherds."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yprOIKRdP8U

The ENTIRE "Reindeer Room, a Chill Out Christmas" album.

Elvis' "Blue Christmas."

Charles Brown's "Merry Christmas, Baby."

Therefore, the must have albums are Bruce Cockburn's, Leon Redbone's, Charles Brown's "Blue Christmas," and...The Roches and Dread Zeppelin's Christmas discs.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoman7:
Lou Monte... Domenick the Donkey

My wife actually loves that one, which is somewhat painful to the ears but she's cute when she sings it so its all good.

As for me, I lean toward the traditional, more spiritual songs like O Holy Night, Ave Maria, Silent Night, etc. Love when Pavarotti did the first two and while I hate her politics, I love Sinead O'Conner's version Of the latter. Any of the classics from Bing, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett, and the like will always get me smiling, as will Guaraldi. One more non-traditional song that gives me chills is Mary Did You Know. Fabulous lyrics and message...
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
But, give me standard Christmas carols done by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir near the holiday and I get my Ho Ho Ho back.
PH

This is exactly what I was thinking and I couldn't agree more. The power that group can generate is truly special.
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
PH

This is exactly what I was thinking and I couldn't agree more. The power that group can generate is truly special.

Escpecially the Missiah [sp???]

I remember The movie the White Christmas was in. 30 or so og my frat brothers went to see teh show. No snow, and now forcasted. When we got out there was 3" on the ground. Great memory from college days. Guess it will noy snow here this year.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I like hymns and jazz renditions of christmas songs. Can't pick just one that stands out.

Wynton Marsalis has a couple of good Christmas albums. Not exactly Christmas, but related, Ellington's reworking of the Nutcracker is a classic.

Now that the kids have been out of the house for a while, I can even enjoy Tschaikovsky's original in moderate doses.

The local classical music station plays a lot of pre-Baroque choral Christmas music. That I can listen to.

Add Reply

Likes (0)