quote:
Originally posted by Flaco:
Not to offend anyone but Facebook and Twitter seem ridiculous to me.

Ridiculous is being nice.

They are both drains on our society. If you really have THAT much time to tell me what you are eating, reading, doing, spend it with your kids, reading a book or doing something creative for society.

Sort of like I should be doing now instead of posting on this damn forum.
I think I remember Mark showing up in my suggested friends list a few times. But since he has not yet sent me his CV, three each business and personal references, and a personal financial statement, I have never yet acted on it. Big Grin

Some of us have higher standards than others for their friends to avoid having their wall become lame. Cool

KSCO2: My last name is very distinctive and easily found when Googled which is why I don't use it here (personal and professional reasons). Then again, unfortunately I would not know yours either.

I will make exceptions for board members here. Best thing might be to have you contact WIML if you have his email and have him give you my name so we can hook up.

If you don't know WIML nor have his contact info, you are a nobody in the wine world and I am not interested. Big Grin

Moo
Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with friends, especially someone like me who has moved around a lot. I’m having fun with it. Twitter is not for me, but I can see the draw for a lot of people.

Always surprised by how polarizing the subject of Facebook and Twitter can me. Drains on society??? It’s just not that serious….
FB and Twitter are nothing but tools. How lame the sites are depends upon how lame your friends are. If your friends are tools, you will think FB and Twitter suck. To get philosophical for a moment, how much you enjoy the sites depends how much you enjoy your friends and is more a reflection of YOU and your taste in friends than a reflection of the web site.

No, I don't twit even though I have an account.

Moo
Yes to Facebook; no to Twitter.

I don't use it much, and I've never posted one of those "what are you doing right now" posts.

But I have been able to get in touch with some old friends and acquaintances.

I agree with Sacred Cow that Facebook can be as good or as bad as you want it to be.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with friends, especially someone like me who has moved around a lot. I’m having fun with it.

I'm with Glennk - Facebook is pretty useful when you're living abroad. Don't really get Twitter though..
Lots of people are anti Facebook and I understand. What is really amazing to me however is how so many are using it for a business tool. I for one love to follow a lot of wineries on there, and really enjoy reading Wes Hagen's blog on there.

For those of you who are on there, feel free to add me. I see a bunch of you that are on, but I have no idea what your real names are, so feel free to add me, and leave a note that I know ya from the WS Board.

Sacred Cow, got ya this morning.

Cheers!

-mJ
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
I'm on there. Send me a friend request and I'll gladly accept it.

Cow/KSC, I'll do a friend suggest for you two.

Done. Thanks. Smile

So THAT'S what Cow looks like. I've yet to meet someone that looked like I pictured them before meeting them Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
I'm on there. Send me a friend request and I'll gladly accept it.

Cow/KSC, I'll do a friend suggest for you two.

Done. Thanks. Smile

So THAT'S what Cow looks like. I've yet to meet someone that looked like I pictured them before meeting them Big Grin

Yes, Cow is my moniker though I look more like a jackass. I'll leave it up to you whether looks are deceiving. Cool

Moo
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
You can see a lot of real names/screen names on Facebook [url=http://www.facebook.

Not too sure I would have listed that link.

No big deal to me. You can friend up who you want, reject who you don't.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
quote:
You can see a lot of real names/screen names on Facebook [url=http://www.facebook.

Not really the point.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not really the point.

The point is the real names. Got it.
quote:
If someone signs up for the facebook group, then posts "Hi, I'm so and so!" they've gone past the point of non-approval. It doesn't appear that anybody is listing anybody else's name and moniker without approval.

Confused

See Cow response.
quote:
Originally posted by klymkev:
quote:

They are both drains on our society. If you really have THAT much time to tell me what you are eating, reading, doing, spend it with your kids, reading a book or doing something creative for society.

I don't really see why taking 20 seconds to post your status prevents you from doing useful things for the rest of the day.
Anybody who post here every day and think that it is a waste of time to spend 5mn on facebook somewhat puzzles me to say the least..
It is a great tool for people away (like me) and it helps, in a certain way, to stay connected with your friends around the world.
At the end, it all depends on the use you want to make of it.
Now to say it is a drain on our society is way exaggerated. But of course everybody is entitled to his own opinion!

Just my 2 cents...
quote:
quote:

Not too sure I would have posted that link.

Since we now have a time clock on our editing allowances, I've requested Robert to delete said post, in the interest of preferred privacies. I agree that each person should have some control regarding their privacy. And since I saw the CDP photos prior to my reading the latest postings, I tagged some pics and now can't edit them.

DOH, I can be idealistic at times. As I believe they're MLV's photos, maybe she can edit? Red Face
I like facebook for keeping in touch.

OTOH, I don't care what kind of coffee one of my friends drinks morning to morning...nor do I want to read the idiotic political rants another friend posts. The "Hide" feature is all-important. As such, I'm not a twitter guy.

Photos is an issue. But can't you at least untag yourself, even in someone else's pictures?

I'm going to ad Mark shortly. I don't have other people real names, but feel free to look me up.
Montsant:

Go to privacy settings, profile, photos tagged of you. Change it to custom, only me, change networks to "none of my networks".

See if that works. I don't know any pictures on FB where I am tagged, but I THINK this might work. Try it and let me know.

I do agree that privacy settings can use a LOT more work before I am totally comfortable. But supposedly they are working on that.

Mike
quote:
Originally posted by klymkev:
quote:

Ok, so its ridiculous to Tweet about what one is eating but its OK to post here under 'what are you eating' or 'what are you drinking'... Isn't it kind of the same?
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:
What's Facebook & Twitter?

Okay, my kids want me to sign up, but I tell them my life is already complicated enough! Why create the opportunity for more requirements? I'm hiding, and love it! Cool

I was with you, latour67, until a month or so ago. I finally signed up after being encouraged to by my kids. So I create an account. A few weeks later I ask my kids, "So why haven't you 'friended' me?" Confused
They looked at me like I was speaking Swahili. Probably for the best......

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

Okay, my kids want me to sign up, but I tell them my life is already complicated enough! Why create the opportunity for more requirements? I'm hiding, and love it! Cool

I was with you, latour67, until a month or so ago. I finally signed up after being encouraged to by my kids. So I create an account. A few weeks later I ask my kids, "So why haven't you 'friended' me?" Confused

PH

Inter-generational "friending" may not be the wisest thing given what people often post. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
quote:

PH

Inter-generational "friending" may not be the wisest thing given what people often post. Smile

Nor is inter-relationship friending necessarily a good thing since the things other people post cannot be controlled. And that is not to say it is not the same thing, is it? Big Grin

Moo
quote:
quote:

PH

Friend request sent. Cool
quote:
quote:

PH

Friend request sent. Cool

Welcome to FB, PH Cool Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
quote:
wiml,

Joe, I would sign up if I can keep my Facebook account narrowed to you, otherwise I'm thinking this is going to be a giant King Kong, and the first contact would be my Jr High girlfriend! Eek
Perhaps an alias? Wink

Big Grin Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
i know, when doing it on a wine board is just so much classier... Big Grin Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
Have to admit though, for the most part, just another way to waste time.

So true. But at least here I can waste time with a better class of profligates. Wink Big Grin Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
For the record, I'm one of nine or so people left on earth who don't have a FB account.

I must be the second of 9 people then.

Add me to the list. I knew Fb was dangerous ages ago as they did not have specify in place and when then did still did not work

I avoid all of theses sites
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
DD, a buddy of mine is a top ad exec and the things he’s told me they can do through each of our phones based on our behaviour is staggering.
Just remember, nothing is free.

after jailbreaking a few phones, the ad exec doesnt even know 1/4 of it =D
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
I'm not on FB........never have been.

+1. Never really been interested. If we are friends we talk or text. I'm fine with my 10 friends. Don't need 500. Plus, no one on earth is so interesting I need constant updates on their lives.
Interesting that so many people here are not on FB. I'm on it every day and love the capacity to keep in touch with friends and family all over the world, and to get to know better people I know only marginally. Many here and elsewhere have become far-flung friends far beyond what would be possible without FB. I don't think I could manage without it at this point.

And if anyone really thinks they are protecting their privacy by staying off FB, well to a certain extent they are probably right. But if anyone wants to know all about you, they can do it via your phone, as noted above, but also via your internet use, as I learned on a course I took for a previous career maybe 10 years ago.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Interesting that so many people here are not on FB. I'm on it every day and love the capacity to keep in touch with friends and family all over the world, and to get to know better people I know only marginally. Many here and elsewhere have become far-flung friends far beyond what would be possible without FB. I don't think I could manage without it at this point.

And if anyone really thinks they are protecting their privacy by staying off FB, well to a certain extent they are probably right. But if anyone wants to know all about you, they can do it via your phone, as noted above, but also via your internet use, as I learned on a course I took for a previous career maybe 10 years ago.

Exactly bman. Every page view, click or comment you make online is being collected, analyzed and monetized all over the web. I get more direct targeted ads on most retail or news sites showing things I looked at an hour ago than I do on FB.

How much random junk email does one get these days that is tangentially related to a dr. visit you may have had or research you may have done online about something. It is what it is. One either drops off the internet or you do what you can to limit it, but most of our secrets are still out there someplace.
I have no illusions about my privacy online. Thats not why Im not on facebook. I just dont have the need to keep up with 500 people. I dont have the time to keep up with my actual friends. If I have any spare time I'd rather spend it talking with them or my kids, not messaging someone I went to high school with but haven't seen in 20 years.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
This thread makes for an amusing read now, especially in light of recent news around Facebook and how its data has been (mis)used.

For the record, I'm one of nine or so people left on earth who don't have a FB account.

There must be more than 9 VinT. I counted six already and I make it 7. Never been on it. When the "inventor" referred to his customers as "dumb fucks" I paid attention.

I'm also one of the 9 people on the planet who do not have a portable GPS (aka mobile phone). Got rid of it when I retired.

Despite the above I agree that privacy is pretty much laughable in this day and age.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
I have no illusions about my privacy online. Thats not why Im not on facebook. I just dont have the need to keep up with 500 people. I dont have the time to keep up with my actual friends. If I have any spare time I'd rather spend it talking with them or my kids, not messaging someone I went to high school with but haven't seen in 20 years.

I bet you had a myspace account before you got married. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
I'm also one of the 9 people on the planet who do not have a portable GPS (aka mobile phone). Got rid of it when I retired.
You don't have a cell phone? That is hardcore.

There is a guy I work with that doesn't have a cell phone either. If he is not at the office or at home, he can't be reached which is what he is going for.

He also doesn't own a TV so he might be the most extreme.
I open facebook maybe once a month but I use instagram daily. I find facebook harder to look at and full of people who think their opinion is very important on all types of subjects. I like instagram because the pictures can spur lots of side conversations. For example I have a lot of buddy's that are into food so if I'm trying out a new place or they are traveling to somewhere new it starts a lot of fun direct chats.

Also we have moved around a bit and we have friends that have moved that we don't get to see as often and I think it's great to see how they are doing and watch their kids grow up. I think it helps people stay in touch that might not otherwise.
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
I'm not on FB........never have been.

+1. Only social media i use is twitter. Mostly for sports and wine.

Wine forums don't count as social media? How about participating in fantasy sports? Razz
Curious time for FB for sure. Even more curious the roll social media will play going forward.

I love FB as it has made me mucho money!

The facts are there are 1.5 billion people on FB everyday, more than all other social media combined. That is 1 of 5 people in the world and 1 of every 3 people that have access to internet. Changes are coming and needed.
quote:
Curious time for FB for sure. Even more curious the roll social media will play going forward.

The facts are there are 1.5 billion people on FB everyday, more than all other social media combined. That is 1 of 5 people in the world and 1 of every 3 people that have access to internet. Changes are coming and needed.

nah

tencent has it beat in terms of users =)
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

nah

Confused... less than a billion users from what I have read.
quote:
quote:
quote:

nah

FB is quickly becoming outdated. Other media are taking its' place. My daughter, and most younger people, have left FB. Other choices more in tune with the times and trends....
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

nah

FB is quickly becoming outdated. Other media are taking its' place. My daughter, and most younger people, have left FB. Other choices more in tune with the times and trends....

What are they moving to?

Snapchat? Instagram?

The latter is owned by FB.

Bfw
quote:
Originally posted by bfw:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

nah

What are they moving to?

Snapchat? Instagram?

The latter is owned by FB.

Bfw

weibo
wechat

basically a bunch of tencent properties.

and w+a, you're only looking at wechat/qq chat

the majority of their user base is gaming. They have well over 1 billion mobile gamers on their platform.

It's the largest gaming company in the world.

Add Reply

Likes (0)