Skip to main content

There probably won't be much interest in this thread but I'll give it a try.

New season is upon us with Ligue 1 and the FA Leagues having started already this weekend. EPL starts on Friday with a new London derby of Brentford v Arsenal.

Before my predictions for the EPL, the obvious big news is Messi leaving Barca because of the club's financial situation. Even agreeing to a 50% pay cut the club still can't afford to do it. So it seems as though he will be heading to PSG.

I'm not thrilled with the seemingly imminent prospect of Chelsea buying back Lukaku for €115 million after having previously bought (2011) and sold (2014)  him for €12 million and €30 million respectively. I would have preferred they signed Danny Ings for 1/4 of that amount. Not that I don't think Lukaku is a good player and can see him displace Jorginho as our top scorer, it's just the short shortsightedness of past transfers that bugs me. See also the recent selling of Fiyako Tomori and Marc Guehi, two very promising defenders, when the back line is anchored by a soon-to-be 37 year old. Being a Chelsea fan can be challenging at times.

Grealish for €110 million seems pretty extreme also. Even more so than ManUre paying  €80 million for Sancho.

Predictions for the EPL

1) Chelsea

2) Liverpool

3) Manchester City

4) Manchester United

Relegations

Brentford

Burnley

Newcastle

And Steve Bruce to be the first sacked manager.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Biggest payrolls in the top four unsurprisingly....some eye watering money being thrown around.   Can't see how ManC won't win in without catastrofic injuries, and they'll likely end up with Kane.  I'll be rooting for the usuals, LCFC, Leeds, hope the Canaries can stay up.  Liverpool will get a boost with Virgil coming back.  Arteta first manager sacked.

@steve8 posted:

There probably won't be much interest in this thread but I'll give it a try.

I'm not thrilled with the seemingly imminent prospect of Chelsea buying back Lukaku for €115 million after having previously bought (2011) and sold (2014)  him for €12 million and €30 million respectively. I would have preferred they signed Danny Ings for 1/4 of that amount. Not that I don't think Lukaku is a good player and can see him displace Jorginho as our top scorer, it's just the short shortsightedness of past transfers that bugs me. See also the recent selling of Fiyako Tomori and Marc Guehi, two very promising defenders, when the back line is anchored by a soon-to-be 37 year old. Being a Chelsea fan can be challenging at times.

Don't forget about Chelsea selling KDB and Salah ...

Here are my predictions:

Top 4:

Man City

Chelsea

Man United

Liverpool

Relegation:

Norwich City - they have a dreadful start to the season that they may not recover from

Brentford

Watford

First manager sacked: Patrick Viera

Last edited by futronic

I'm looking forward to watching EPL. being a cord-cutter, I installed the fubo TV on firestick (btw, I know that it is also possible to watch EPL in Canada using this service, also here is a list of other similar services https://www.firesticktricks.co...pl-on-firestick.html).  As for predictions, Manchester City is eyeing up a sixth EPL title this season and will be hoping it’s an easier pathway to success than last season. I'm going to follow this team

Last edited by Francis123

Steve8   Maybe you could change this to English Football

Messi to PSG  at a high rate $$$  hoping that they can win the Championship leauge - Finally  Now with Neymar, & Mbappe as forwards will be awesome

Barcelona have one trophy - the Copa del Rey - to show for their past two seasons with Lionel Messi, and now they prepare for a season without their greatest player for the first time since 2003. Aguero’s injury will keep him off the pitch for 2 months or more.

Barca's financial problems, which led to them being unable to afford to keep their all-time top scorer even though he had accepted a 50% pay cut. 

Bundsliga- Just started with poor results. Robert Lewandowski scored on the opening day of the Bundesliga for a record seventh consecutive season as the Julian Nagelsmann era began with a draw at Borussia Monchengladbach.   New coach, was failing in pre-season.

Real Madrid, should be interesting  Lot of new players, along with a new coach

Gotta love that Gooner Nation is in even further meltdown than they’ve already been for the past several seasons.  Though I don’t expect the current standings to last much longer, that the Spurs are in first place and ARSE is dead ass last is satisfying to anyone who reps for any team besides the Gooners.  “Saint Arsenalingham Day” is gonna be even earlier this campaign than usual……

PSG not even deigning to respond to Real Madrid’s reported €200M offer for expiring contract Mbappe is absolutely mindboggling.  Will be interesting to see if Neymar and Messi can sweet talk KM into signing a massive new deal this summer.

KTBFFH!

Agree about it being mind-boggling that PSG wasn't interested in the €200 million offer for a player who wants to leave and will be out of contract at the end of the season.

Had to laugh at Barcelona loaning Griezmann to Atletico. Another financial bath for Barca.

Ronaldo back at ManUre and then making room for him by selling Dan James. A 23 year old with potential for a 36 year old who is going to cause an upheaval to their system...if they even have one. I picked them to finish 4th in the EPL but I'm thinking it could be lower than that now.

Chelsea showed some defensive strength against Liverpool after going down to 10 men for the second half. I didn't disagree with the call on James but didn't like the way Anthony Taylor handled the call. His mind was made up before he even went over to the VAR screen to look at a freeze frame of the play.

New Champions League season starts today. It seems UEFA wimped out on their threats to ban Barca, RM and Juve despite the fact all three are unrepentant about their stupor league idea.

Enjoyed watching the Chelsea-Villa game on the weekend. Nice to see a striker like Lukaku wearing blue again. We haven't had one since Costa and he was far from ideal.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.