grunhauser, i have stomac-pain from loughing!
maybe i should change again to "comes from the dark side of the moon"
that is so far europe is behind the all-world-bests american
i'll try to say something to seejay,
because the european winewmakers that wants to have this earthy aroma do vertain things like:
- old vines, up to 100 years old
-try to plant only on steap and interesting soil
- try to have the clones that show the vingniard "earth" the best
- cut down, to small production/plant
- do not filter, stablize.
- do clarify with natural things.
- do let the air develop the wine
- use 5-20 years old vines
- use the most ressistent clones
- let a huge amount of grapes on the vine
-plant in the flat
-who interests the soil
-do filter and stabilize
-do use micro-oxidation
-use alot of sulfur and so on.
and if american do like the european?
they get earthy, leather, mushroom, wines like
martha's vignard, dunn, and so on, and you know what?
they are called the best in america