Skip to main content

"Duck Season"

I really love it when it's done right, but I have only had it at restaurants. My family never made it and I have not either. I would love to make it sometime.

2 Questions.

One, Does anyone know how to make a good simple roast duck (nothing too busy) with a nice berry or other sweet sauce with it.

Two, Where the hell do you buy duck? I don't think my butcher has it and I doubt my italian deli does? I'd rather not shoot one in my backyard, unless it's my only option.
Original Post
Hunter, I've made several lousy roast ducks, but have learned how to do it well. First, you must start with a good fresh duck, organic if possible. Then, I've found for perfect roast duck, I have to use my grill rotisserie. I make many small slits through the duck skin, into the fat, but not into the meat. Into each slit, I place a sliver of garlic and a Cognac-hydrated green peppercorn. Then I rub the duck with evoo and apply whatever spices I feel like using that evening. I use the back burner only and it's done to perfection in an hour and a half.

One of my specialties is pan seared magret with green peppercorn sauce. I've already posted the recipe for that. Maybe when TBIrd gets up here we'll have a dinner at my house and I'll make it.

By the way, forget a wild duck. They're like chewy liver.
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
"Duck Season"

"Rabbit Season"

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

When cooking duck I tend to get 2 or 3 ducks, depending on how many I'm cooking for, and do duck breast one night and duck legs the next and reserve the rest of the carcasses for stock.

Perhaps I'm not as patient as Board-O in finding the perfect way to roast Daffy, but I find it is a lot easier cooking portions than whole duck, kind of opposite to cooking Foghorn Leghorn.
I've got at least 10 duck recipes that I've collected and tried.

In muscat and orange juice; with mustard and candied kumquats; with sour cherries; duck confit potpie; duck stew in red wine; with chickpea crêpes and fennel compote; with onions and crisp pancetta; Peking duck stir-fry; with licorice-merlot sauce; with port-fruit chutney; with fig sauce.

Let me know if anything sounds good enough to try and I'll post it up.
quote:
Originally posted by louzarius:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
First, you must start with a good fresh duck

This is where the shooting in the backyard comes in.

Good luck, farmer Lou. It may be fresh, but very far from "good". I've been around ducks and gooses all my life (Indiana farm life ain't that bad) and know for certain that these criters taste of what they feed on. By this measure, I will take a farmed fat one over your crazed creature from the green lagoon any day. Besides, those genetically modified backyard trophies of yours are so hyped up on fertilzer and what not, I'd feel like I'm grilling E.T., not duck.
And what the heck do you pair with grilled E.T.?
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
While I was at Whole Foods, I was browsing through turkeys and my eye was captured by the young duckling. So I bought it...what now? I was told by the butcher to rub EVOO, sea salt, pepper, and rosemary on it and bake for 1.5-2.0 hours. This will be for Thanksgiving.

I am not going to make a cheddar cheese or blender joke but I have a question. Will a duck last seven days in the refrigerator or is it frozen?
Wild and domestic ducks are worlds apart in flavor and texture. I hunt ducks every year, and they are excellent at the table if prepared correctly. The meat is dark, gamey, and with little fat. They should be cooked rare over high heat. I like to grill the breasts. The tough liver thing comes from cooking too long. Try it rare and you will see a big difference. For roasting and confit I use domestic ducks. Their flavor and texture is much more suited for this. There are many recipes, but I like the slow roasting method the best.
quote:
Sorry Hunter. I mistakenly thought this was a Bella thread.

First she hijacked my tomato sauce thread with mwagner and well...we know what happened there - my grandmother is still crying over THAT one. Now, I am really into a good duck, started this thread and I will have to hear gory details of this poor frozen duck that will become "God knows what" when she's done with it. Eek
quote:
Originally posted by ArieS:
Hey Maverick, I would be interested in the fig sauce and the prot fruit chutney recipes.

OK here's the first. I hope I didn't copy it too fast. It's from either: 1 of any magazines at the library, a chef's cook book, any TV show since 1970, or copied from a restaurant. I've only got a dozen or so original, my own recipes. This is not any of those.

Seared Duck with Fig Sauce

6 boneless White Pekin duck breast halves, skin scored
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 scallion, minced
1 teaspoon chopped oregano
1 teaspoon chopped sage
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Ground allspice
1 cup Zinfandel
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons minced onion
4 teaspoons sugar
One 2-inch strip of lemon zest
14 dried Mission figs, quartered

Arrange the duck breasts in a large baking dish, skin side up. In a bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons each of the olive oil and vinegar with the honey, scallion, oregano, sage, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of allspice. Pour the marinade over the duck breasts and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning after 2 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the wine, broth and onion with the remaining garlic, the sugar, zest, 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme and a pinch of allspice. Bring to a boil and add the figs. Reduce the heat to moderately low, cover and simmer until the figs are just soft, about 25 minutes. Discard the zest.
Puree one-third of the fig mixture in a food processor, then return to the saucepan. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of thyme and 3 tablespoons of vinegar and season with salt; keep warm.
Remove the duck from the marinade; pat dry. Season lightly with salt. In each of 2 medium skillets, heat 2 tablespoons of the remaining olive oil. Add the duck to the skillets, skin side down, and cook over moderately high heat until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Turn, reduce the heat to moderate and cook until medium rare, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the duck on the diagonal and serve with the fig sauce.
I'm not sure, but my notes say to have a Cline, Ravenswood or a St.Francis zinfandel.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.