Ciccio10 posted:

anyone know why, or how DRC is so much cheaper at release via L CBO vs rest of the world?

No secondary market.  The retail price at the KGBO is based on a formula.  The markups, etc. are applied to whatever price they get or manipulate ex-domaine.  The downside to the more favourable price is the Soviet era type rationing that happens, meaning that you only get a bottle when the commissars decide you are worthy of one. 

csm posted:
Ciccio10 posted:

anyone know why, or how DRC is so much cheaper at release via L CBO vs rest of the world?

No secondary market.  The retail price at the KGBO is based on a formula.  The markups, etc. are applied to whatever price they get or manipulate ex-domaine.  The downside to the more favourable price is the Soviet era type rationing that happens, meaning that you only get a bottle when the commissars decide you are worthy of one. 

So would you rather pay 30k ?

mimik posted:
csm posted:
Ciccio10 posted:

So would you rather pay 30k ?

Moot point for me because I wouldn’t pay $5k for the wine with the intent to drink it at least. I was merely offering an explanation that the lack of a free market, while beneficial to consumers in terms of keeping prices down, is detrimental to consumers in terms of severely limiting supply. I don't think anyone in their right mind would rather pay $30K instead of $5k, but it's not germane to the topic.  

I'm posting this from St Martin FWI...

DRC has always been readily available at several high-end restaurants on the French-side, particularly the restaurants in Grande Case.  The restaurant prices are generally at or slightly below US retail.  This year the island is struggling to recover from the battering they took from two successive hurricanes and some of the restaurants have just reopened, so there is a lot of good wine that has gone unsold.

Yesterday I visited the DRC distributor on the island and was offered the 2015 Corton @445, Richebourg @1,373 and St Vivant @1,448 (all Euros).  That's about a 60% premium over the LCBO prices and no lottery bull$hit.  I have to think about this...

otw posted:

I'm posting this from St Martin FWI...

DRC has always been readily available at several high-end restaurants on the French-side, particularly the restaurants in Grande Case.  The restaurant prices are generally at or slightly below US retail.  This year the island is struggling to recover from the battering they took from two successive hurricanes and some of the restaurants have just reopened, so there is a lot of good wine that has gone unsold.

Yesterday I visited the DRC distributor on the island and was offered the 2015 Corton @445, Richebourg @1,373 and St Vivant @1,448 (all Euros).  That's about a 60% premium over the LCBO prices and no lottery bull$hit.  I have to think about this...

wow, i would definitely do the Corton  it will only cost you about $225 more per bottle CDN then the price in the LCBO. load up lol!

ProSys posted:

What is there to think about here?  Those prices for '15 DRC sound too good to be true.

Well, storage conditions would be a concern as a consumer.  Who knows where it was stored and what temps they have been exposed to when power goes out.   But if you just plan to flip it, then it's a no brainer for sure and just past the risk to the next person.  

doubled posted:
ProSys posted:

What is there to think about here?  Those prices for '15 DRC sound too good to be true.

Well, storage conditions would be a concern as a consumer.  Who knows where it was stored and what temps they have been exposed to when power goes out.   But if you just plan to flip it, then it's a no brainer for sure and just past the risk to the next person.  

Definitely a concern if this is a private party transaction.  I'd hope the "distributor" would have proper storage and chain of custody measures in place for a tropical island that relies heavily on tourism.

futronic posted:

This is a direct offer from the LCBO, which gets everything direct from DRC, and the markup is a standard markup, not market rate. Storage conditions aren't an issue.

I thought ProSys was responding to the prices quoted by otw for wines that were in St. Martin.

ProSys posted:
doubled posted:
ProSys posted:

Definitely a concern if this is a private party transaction.  I'd hope the "distributor" would have proper storage and chain of custody measures in place for a tropical island that relies heavily on tourism.

The wines arrived on the island just recently, well after the storm.  The reason for the inflated supply of DRC wines is that tourism is just starting to get back on its feet and there hasn't been as much demand as usual.  So provenance is as good as 'normal' for this place.  The distributor has a refrigerated warehouse, although who really knows what happens to the shipping containers on the way to the warehouse.  But I have been buying wines here for many years and never had a problem.

HY posted:

No. 

I’m curious to know how many of each were available. Does anyone know?

I've asked LCBO and Halpern this and they're rather tight lipped. However, from a old WS Post apparently from the 2012 vintage. 

12 Cortons
24 RSV
36 G Ech
24 La Tache
24 Ech
18 Richebourg

Add Reply

Likes (0)