Do you like grill food?

More importantly, John, what are YOUR thoughts around, "BBQ Grill Food?"  Instead of simply posing a question, why not also expand on your answer a bit?

I like what it can do with rather bland proteins and veggies by adding another flavor dimension.  I also like that I can get my grill quite a bit hotter than my oven or a pan on my range (or, at least, within my comfort level).  Nothing, not even my cast iron, quite sears like a hot grill.

I like BBQ grill fire food outdoors, especially if the whole thing is outside.

1. It's easy and has little to no cleanup. One large trash bag, paper plates and no mess in the kitchen and house.
  2. It's a nice outdoor atmosphere to cook outside with friends/family and remove most of the silly dinner table etiquette. Cook, eat, drink.
  3. Friends with the annoying kids, can set their annoying kids free in the yard to catch lizards and bugs, play with the pets, and run around to the point of early nap time instead of them opening every drawer in the house, pantry, spilling stuff on the carpet etc.
    1. Same kids can eat cheap and easy hotdogs and burgers and like it instead of having to cook pasta with butter, grilled cheese, pizza, etc and use more things to clean up in the kitchen.
    2. Same kids can get a private table waaaay over on the other side of the yard.
  4. Inexpensive refreshing cold wine and cold beer in the cooler.
  5. A reason to make Jalapeno poppers and bbq'd oysters.
  6. Guests bringing over their own bbq grill fire food for others to enjoy.

Fire. Meat. Danger.   What's not to like? 

Seriously, aside from a kamado-type grill like the Big Green Egg, I have, or have grilled on, just about everything. I currently own 5 different grills & smokers. (Had to sell two. ) But imho the best, simplest, and often times cheapest grilling machine is the ubiquitous and humble Weber Kettle.  You can do nearly anything on it. Grill steaks over high heat; cook indirect (good for thick cuts); slow smoke for hours (I have done many a brisket and pork butt using the charcoal "snake method"); you can even bake bread (indirect), or stoke coals under a baking stone, cover, and make a fantastic pizza. Who needs a $1200 outdoor pizza maker? While smoking, mine has held a steady 240° for up to 6 hours in the worst PNW winds and inclement weather before I had to replenish the coals.

I realize that doesn't exactly answer John's question about food, but everyone knows that food tastes better outdoors. Some of my favorite non-meat grilling items include pineapple, asparagus,  & spring onions.

Being as it is that I am actually the very best at BBQ grilling food, I could teach you a thing or two about technique, skill and experience, absolutely! Years of trial and error and an academic understanding of fire chemistry have lead me to be a leader in the industry of consultants, authors and competition chefs, I will have you know! Knowing when to brine, when to turn the heat up, down or OFF are paramount for a BBQ grill food which maximizes the balance of possible flavours, tenderness, and juiciness, positively!

Cheers!
~W&FE~

LOL!!!  You said, "Fire chemistry."  Welcome back, W&FE. 

As an additional aside, can we stop using, "BBQ" in this thread?  We're talking about grilling, aren't we?  The OP does use the term, but I believe he is referring to grilling, not making BBQ / bar-b-que / barbecue.

BRR posted:

LOL!!!  You said, "Fire chemistry."  Welcome back, W&FE. 

As an additional aside, can we stop using, "BBQ" in this thread?  We're talking about grilling, aren't we?  The OP does use the term, but I believe he is referring to grilling, not making BBQ / bar-b-que / barbecue.

I, am overjoyed to be back, absolutely! 

"Grilling", is a barbecuing technique, I will have you know .  I know my subsets, and you, sir? That is your "Lesson from an Expert", for today, s'il te plait!

A Salud, positively!
~W&FE~

Certainly one as learned as you, W&FE, would appreciate specificity when discussion food and food preparation.  If you're putting food on your grill and cooking it, you're grilling.  You're not making barbecue.  Let's not mince words.  Mince shallots instead.

purplehaze posted:

I grill hamburger today.  80/20.  Brioche buns.  Grill..  Slice red onion.  Also grill.  I like grill food.

PH

A little tip, brioche buns contain quite a bit of sugar. Toasting the buns over the hot grill is not recommended. I learned this from experience. 

mneeley490 posted:
purplehaze posted:

I grill hamburger today.  80/20.  Brioche buns.  Grill..  Slice red onion.  Also grill.  I like grill food.

PH

A little tip, brioche buns contain quite a bit of sugar. Toasting the buns over the hot grill is not recommended. I learned this from experience. 

Putting it over the resting grill on top works though as long as your flame isnt too hot.

Grilled up some street cart chicken.

Chicken thighs with a dry rub of salt, coriander, thyme, garlic, onion powder and a dash of cumin.  Put in ziplock and let marinate over night.

Grilll at high heat and garnish with a mixture of chopped dill, red onions, lemon and olive oil.

We cook on the grill at least 4 times every week. As for actual Que......10 to 12 at least. A lot of that is eating leftovers though. Have a freezer full of already cooked Butts and both Beef and Pork Ribs. I think we only need a stove for occasional sides and prep work these days. The Wok on the grill is a staple around our house.

g-man posted:
mneeley490 posted:
purplehaze posted:

PH

Putting it over the resting grill on top works though as long as your flame isnt too hot.

Grilled over low burner.  No issues.

PH

snipes posted:

I like grill food. I grill Fred Flinstone size ribeye later today. Grill is good. 

I'd love to bbq me some of those ribs, but I just can't get them here. I don't know why, but any beef rib in the stores here are guaranteed to be stripped of 98% of the meat, down to the bone. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)