- NV Maurice Vesselle Champagne Grand Cru Brut Cuvée Réservée - France, Champagne, Montagne de Reims, Champagne
Drank at the Haggis home before we left for dinner. No formal notes. 91 points.
- 2008 Domaine Thierry Laffay Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
This paired surprisingly well with the grilled Shishito peppers with Hawaiian sea salt. 2nd time I have had this wine with similar notes. Crisp, clean and very lively. Warmed up a little too much over the course of the evening. My score is for the right temperature. 93 points.
- 2008 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
Ruby red color. Not decanted. Wonderful nose filled with eucalyptus. Round texture and not over the top. Notes of black cherry, smoke and some sweet red fruit. Paired very well with the Asian 5 spice duck course and oxtail empenadas. 91-92 points.
- 2007 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Chaine d' Or Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
Opened by Haggis at his home after we returned from dinner. I have a bottle of this but have not tried it yet. Not decanted but would likely improve with air. A round, medium bodied wine. Old world in style and slightly vegetal. Notes of green pepper, herbs and plums. 89 points. (89 pts.)
- 2005 Dobogo Tokaji Aszú 6 Puttonyos - Hungary, Hegyalja, Tokaji
Opened by Haggis and brought back by his wife from a trip to Budapest. I had the 1997 vintage of this wine 7 years ago and thought the 2005 was slightly better. Drank this with chocolate. Very young but showed nice apricot, orange marmalade and candied lemon notes. Could have used a bit more acidity to push it higher. Give this time. 92 points.