December 2018 - What are You Drinking

1997 Frescobaldi Nipozzano, Chianti Rufino reserva...thin and medicinal when popped and poured, but, man, incredible gain in depth and expanding after 30 mins or so...going strong after 3 hrs.  Near perfectly intact cork with crystals.  Plummy fruit notes hanging on with a strong cinnamon component.  What a fun wine.  

A pre-holiday lunch yesterday with futronic, OTW and rosengoo.

2004 Recaredo Cava Gran Reserva Brut Nature Reserva Particular
1989 Chateau Gloria
1996 Paolo Conterno Barolo Ginestra
2004 Cavalotto Barolo Bricco Boschis
2012 Saxum Terry Hoage Vineyard

Five fantastic wines and fine company. A stellar Cava with 127 months on its lees. The reds ran the gamut: fully resolved and declining in a sublime fashion (Gloria), at its peak (Conterno), delicious but still tense and 4-5 years from peak (Cavalotto), and a baby brute (Saxum).

Got together with great friends last night to celebrate making it to another birthday. We had amazing wines (not a dud in the bunch) and excellent food that paired well, but the best part of the evening: great friends! Lots of laughs, side conversations, lively debates about the wines..

FLIGHT 1 - CHAMPAGNE: On arrival and with west coast oysters & Champagne Mignonette

Paul Dethune Brut Rose Grand Cru, Ambonnay - Not quite as chilled as I'd prefer but delicious. Light salmon colour, medium bodied with very fine mousse. Strawberry & hint of rhubarb tartness - great balance. A distinctive style.

2002 Louis Brochet HBH Brut - Consensus was this was in the sweet spot: Rich, balanced, toasty autolytics, complexity and weight of entering maturity without being oxidative.

2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blanc - Beautiful. Lighter than the HBH but superb. As Glenn aptly said "Imagine this one in 10 years!"

Cedric Bouchard Roses de Jeanne Blanc de Noir NV - The intensity of the Pinot Noir showed here, expecially beside the Comtes.

FLIGHT 2: DRY WHITE: I put these 2 whites together to give people a chance to sample the 2 different styles of wine, from the same vintage and hopefully starting to drink well. Served with poached cod in a saffron consume, yum.

2008 William Fevre Chablis Les Clos, Grand Cru: Lemony, wonderful. Best pairing with the cod (great pairing). Drinking beautifully. Don't see it improving but drinking well now.

2008 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc (Bordeaux): Rounder and fuller. Not the greatest vintage of this wine but reminds me of why I like Domaine de Chevalier Blanc. In a really good spot now. This was the group's favorite when tasted without the food.

FLIGHT 3: Paolo Scavino BRIC del FIASC VERTICAL:
1982 Riserva, 1990, 1999, 2004.

Served with Pappardelle al Funghi. I love doing wine verticals as it provides a glimpse into how a wine ages and how it's style may have evolved. I had especially looked forward to this vertical as it pretty much covers the period from pre-Barolo revolution (80s-90) through to the post revolution modern style of Bric del Fiasc (Elisa Scavino - help me here if I am incorrect). All are excellent or great vintages, and at this point the 1982 was both rare and irreplaceable. I am fortunate to have been able to put this together. Votes were mixed as to favorites. Some preferred 1990 and 1999. I liked the 1982 and the 2004 the most. Something for everyone!

1982 Paolo Scavino Barolo Bric del Fiasc RISERVA: Plan was to give it 3 hrs slow ox and decant for sediment just before serving: The restaurant decanted it, without removing sediment on our arrival so it got 2 hrs full decanting. Some felt that over-decanting hurt it. We may have missed it's peak due to the decanting mix up but it was WONDERFUL, one of those rare older bottles that shows tertiary notes AND some of the initial red fruit, without negative oxidative notes: Still fruit showing, tannins present but resolved, silky. Smoke, beef, sanguine, earthy leafy, YUM + YUM. Great finish. Nose persisted throughout the evening but it did fade on the palate. Sweet tannins & remnants of red fruit.

1990 Paolo Scavino Barolo Bric del Fiasc: - Intense mushrooms. More savory than the 82. Stands out from the other 3 vintages. It started out being a little dark and advanced in my view but got better with time in the glass and was glorious. I see this as one to drink now, not later.

1999: Paolo Scavino Barolo Bric del Fiasc - The first comment I heard was 'Bubble gum on the nose', but there was lots more and that may have been one persons's take. Soft and voluptuous, the warm vintage showed here with ripe fruit and stewed cherry. For my preference, I'd drink this sooner than later.

2004 Paolo Scavino Bric del Fiasc - I missed making notes on the 2004. Simply put from recollection: Great vintage just entering it's prime time drinking window. Great now and has a long way to go - YUM. Elements have integrated nicely and it is now on a slow path to full maturity.

FLIGHT 4: 1990 Bordeaux Horizontal - not my idea but a great one and thanks to those who contributed bottles. Consensus was that this cemented 1990 as the Bordeaux vintage for right now - move over 1982! Served with braised Lamb Shank. Mmm
All were great. Choices for favorites of the flight were mixed.

1990 Chateau Trotanoy (Pomerol) : The sole Right Bank wine. Black pepper on the nose, then green pepper. Blue, black fruit, cassis, smooth tannins. This glides down the throat so smoothly. WONDERFUL!. Some pics as favorite Bordeaux.

1990 Chateau Palmer (Margaux) : Aromatic nose. BIG deep black current nose - wow. Then, soft red fruit on the palate. Beauiful. So smooth - sublime. My favorite of the 4. Beef blood, sanguine. Full, fresh, ripe, integrated, smooth. In a GREAT spot. Long way still to go.

1990 Leoville Poyferre (St. Julien): Big nose, most expressive on the nose. Darker on the palate. Some pics as favorite Bordeaux.

1990: Leoville Barton (St. Julien): Not as big on the nose as others but the most balanced of the flight. I didn't hear anyone picking this as the favorite, but did hear LOTS of comments about it being SO consistent year in, year out and how it is a favorite over many vintages. One well put comment: If you wanted to give someone a glass of wine to show them what to expect a good, well built, balanced, mature Bordeaux, this would be it!.

FLIGHT 5: SAUTERNES. 1975 Suduiraut & 1975 Tour Blanche: For something different, I selected 2 x 1975 with different styles: Full and rich; lighter and elegant.

I've had the 1975 Suduiraut many times and the 1975 Tour Blanche a couple of times, so I tend to simply enjoy rather than take notes. I'll borrow Bill's: Finally, two ‘75 Sauternes with dessert. Chateau Suduiraut and Chateau Tour Blanche. Dark orange vs. Light golden. Wickedly savoury/sweet with marmalade, mango, banana, and pineapple vs. subtly savoury/sweet with subdued tropical fruit. Which do you think I preferred?

I enjoy the Tour Blanche on it's own. The 75 Suduiraut is a tough act to follow or match. The consensus was overwhelming; Suduiraut.

What an amazing evening. It's rare to be able to enjoy such a great lineup without a single dud. Even better was the time spent with great friends.

2015 Flanagan Russian River Chardonnay 

2015 Flanagan Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir

2014 Flanagan Bennett Valley Proprietary Red

All three wines are beautifully made and very well-balanced. If you have never tried a Flanagan wine before, I highly recommend trying them. One of Flanagan prime estate vineyards is the Platt vineyard. 

IW

Wow!!!!!  Congrats CSM and Happy Bday VinC!!!  Well done gentlemen!!!!

Last night - 2013 Garage Wine Co. Lot #47 Truquilemu Vineyard Maule Valley Carignan Field blend.  Comes off like a Ridge field blend, with everything turned up to 11 but no Draper perfume.  Needs some air to blow the reductive notes off, but once it opened up it was gorgeous.  Mrs. VeV was convinced we were drinking a young Mazzoni Ranch or Geyserville.

sunnylea57 posted:
csm posted:

At Richmond Station Friday night with my now fiancée:

2002 Bollinger Grand Annee 

1987 Dunn Napa Valley.

Both were absolutely singing and were a great supplement to the always outstanding food.

Wow, congratulations CSM!

Congratulations CSM!

vincentric posted:
jcocktosten posted:

Brought to restaurant for friend's 50th birthday:

2011 Podere Poggio Scalette Il Carbonaione Alta Valle della Greve IGT

2013 Francesco Rinaldi e Figli Barolo Le Brunate

How was the Il Carbonaione showing?

Very well but was overshone by the Barolo on this occasion

jcocktosten posted:
vincentric posted:
jcocktosten posted:

Brought to restaurant for friend's 50th birthday:

2011 Podere Poggio Scalette Il Carbonaione Alta Valle della Greve IGT

2013 Francesco Rinaldi e Figli Barolo Le Brunate

How was the Il Carbonaione showing?

Very well but was overshone by the Barolo on this occasion

No doubt!

Congrats CSM!

2014 Leclerc-Briant, Champagne, Brut Reserve

2015 De Morgenzon, Maestro, White

2006 Paolo Conterno, Barolo, Riva Del Bric

2016 Fonterutoli, Chianti Classico

2005 Bodegas Muga, Rioja, Seleccion Especial

2010 De Trafford, Sijnn Red (Syrah, Touriga Nacional/Mourvedre)

E&OE:

• 2008 Raventós i Blanc Cava Manuel Raventos
  • 2002 Gosset Champagne Celebris Extra Brut
  • 2002 Union Champagne de Saint Gall Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Orpale Blanc de Blancs
  • 2002 Bollinger Champagne R.D. Extra Brut (holy shite was this good)
  • 2014 La Granja Nuestra Señora de Remelluri Rioja Blanco
  • 2010 Hubert Lamy Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Clos de la Chateniere
  • ? Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Capellanía
  • 1981 Bodegas LAN Rioja Gran Reserva Lander
  • 2001(?)  Bodegas Valdemar Rioja Conde de Valdemar Gran Reserva
  • 2003 Bodegas Alejandro Fernández Ribera del Duero Tinto Pesquera Reserva Especial (mag)
  • 2005 Celler Vall Llach Priorat IDUS
  • 2010 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Rangen de Thann Clos St. Urbain
  • 1999 La Granja Nuestra Señora de Remelluri Rioja Gran Reserva
  • 2007 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Riesling Kabinett
  • 2014 J.L. Chave Sélection Hermitage Blanche
  • 2009 Domaine Billaud-Simon Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons

Afterparty (AFAIK):

• 2016 Mulleri Vermentino di Sardegna Soffio
  • 2003 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron
  • Random Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye 
vint posted:

E&OE:

• 2002 Union Champagne de Saint Gall Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Orpale Blanc de Blancs
  • 2005 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Capellanía
  • 2001 Bodegas Valdemar Rioja Conde de Valdemar Gran Reserva
  • 2003 Bodegas Alejandro Fernández Ribera del Duero Tinto Pesquera Reserva Especial (mag)
  • NV Gonzalez-Byass Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Tio Pepe Fino 'En Rama' 2017
  • NV Valdespino Inocente Fino Sherry
  • Plus a Lustau Palo Cortado ... can't recall anything more than that

Afterparty (AFAIK):

Added three sherries, and fixed the dates on a few others. There wasn't a dud in the lot yesterday.

WsOTN for me:
SPARKLERS: Bollinger RD (but the Gosset was also wonderful)
WHITE: Hubert Lamy
RED: the 81, 99 and 01 Riojas
SHERRY: the Palo Cortado

Sorry to have missed the afterparty. Also: how is it that I ended up with red wine, white wine AND water all being spilled on me? Is it my magnetic personality?

sunnylea57 posted:
vint posted:

E&OE:

• Plus a Palo Cortado ... can't recall anything more than that

Afterparty (AFAIK):

Added three sherries, and fixed the dates on a few others. There wasn't a dud in the lot yesterday.

WsOTN for me:

Sorry to have missed the afterparty. Also: how is it that I ended up with red wine, white wine AND water all being spilled on me? Is it my magnetic personality?

Well done!  You left off who won the feats of strength.

csm posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
vint posted:

E&OE:

• Plus a Palo Cortado ... can't recall anything more than that

Afterparty (AFAIK):

WsOTN for me:

Well done!  You left off who won the feats of strength.

Surprisingly there were very few feats yesterday. Ricardo and I arm wrestled. He won the right-handed round, and I cheated on the left-handed round by lifting my elbow.

I think another arm wrestling bout was going to take place between Ricardo and someone else, but it was aborted when a bottle of wine was knocked over while clearing space at the table, which in turn knocked over a stem. The stem smashed on the floor and the wine ended up on me.

Took a couple clients to a Brazilian churrascaria a couple nights ago, so dipped into the cellar for some crowd pleasers:

2010 Corra
2013 Andremily

Both bottles delivered as you would expect as the personal labels of two of the most highly regarded winemakers in CA.

With a dinner of Raclette, Flannery hanger steaks and garlic noodles:

NV Billecart-Salmon Brut Rosé
NV Lombard Verzenay Brut Nature
1985 Robert Sirugue Grands Echezeaux 
1995 Louis Jadot Clos Saint-Denis
2004 Domaine Zind Humbrecht Clos St Urbain Pinot Gris
2005 Ch. Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc 
2006 Simon Bize et Fils Aux Vergelesses
2010 Quivet Cellars Spring Mountain District Cabernet
2011 Domaine Drouhin-Laroze Au Closeau Gevrey-Chambertin
2012 Dehlinger Goldridge Syrah
2013 Dirty & Rowdy Alder Springs Chardonnay
jcocktosten posted:
jdwest posted:

2007 Poggio Antico Altero

How was this?

Very good.  I had thought it might have been cooked on opening, but after 2 hours it mellowed and the nose opened up beautifully.  No rush on this though.  Tannins still quite prevalent and it was actually better the day after.

Special night for us tonight, lots of appies and duck risotto main, with

- NV Paul Bara Chanpagne Grand Rosé (375ml)

- 2006 Bouchard Pere Chevalier-Montrachet, beautiful wine with luscious citrus and pear, excellent acidity, light on the palate but very intense with an exceptionally long finish; remarkable

- 2006 Tua Rita Redigaffi, first of 3-pack, can’t believe that this wine overshadows theChevalier, huge berry, violets, raw beef nose, all that and dark chocolate, licorice, thyme, mineral in the mouth, plush, very long rich finish; a Wow! wine

- 1994 Fonseca Port (375ml), smells like a bowl of freshly macerated cherries and berries, killer nose, haven’t tasted yet but should be fabulous with some Stilton later

Wishing all of you and those you love a happy andsafe holiday season, and all the best in the coming New Year!

Add Reply

Likes (0)