Technically still November, but...

Last Wednesday at Bones Steakhouse with Snipes & Bigfoot:

- 2007 Cayuse Syrah Armada Vineyard

- 2008 Staglin Family Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

- 1994 Dominus

- 2005 Château d'Yquem

- And a syrah from Rattlesnake Ridge (The producer escapes me.)

Bones is incredible. I'm challenged to think of a better steak, and that had to be one of the best dining experiences ever. The Wagyu carpaccio app was so good, we ordered another one for dessert! Meat-sweats be damned!!

Not a dud in the bunch with the wines, and reaffirmed my appreciation for these Cayuse syrah's. The Staglin took some time to unwind, but opened up beautifully. And the '94 Dominus wasn't too shabby either...

Thanks for the awesome time, gents!
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:

- 1994 Dominus

- 2005 Château d'Yquem

Bones is incredible. I'm challenged to think of a better steak, and that had to be one of the best dining experiences ever. The Wagyu carpaccio app was so good, we ordered another one for dessert! Meat-sweats be damned!!

Not a dud in the bunch with the wines, and reaffirmed my appreciation for these Cayuse syrah's. The Staglin took some time to unwind, but opened up beautifully. And the '94 Dominus wasn't too shabby either...

Thank you for sharing your notes on your meal and wines. I have long admired and enjoyed the wines from Dominus and agree with you that the 1994 in particular is a wine for the ages.

Stylistically, I sense that Dominus has changed in the past decade. Now, I must include a caveat that I have not sampled every vintage nor have I purchased Dominus in the last four or five years, but the bottles I have sampled have led me to believe that the wine does not have, shall we say, the same austerity that it once had. It strikes me as more boisterous than it was in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

If were to use an analogy that is most fitting for this time of year, newer vintages of Dominus are much like the jolly, corpulent Ghost of Christmas Present whereas older Dominus reminds one of the solemn and lean Ghost of Christmas Past.

And in that spirit, I leave you with this:

Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did not die, he was a second father. He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world. Some people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; for he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins, as have the malady in less attractive forms. His own heart laughed: and that was quite enough for him.

He had no further intercourse with Spirits, but lived upon the Total Abstinence Principle, ever afterwards; and it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God Bless Us, Every One!
With fellow enthusiasts in the city last night:
1984 Rayas
1988 Rayas
1996 Rayas
1996 Rayas Pignan
2004 Rayas
2008 Rayas
2007 Rayas Blanc
1995 Henri Bonneau Marie Beurrier
2005 SQN The Naked Truth
2006 SQN Grenache Raven Series
2009 SQN Upside Down

The theme was Grenache, and we wanted to try a vertical of the Rayas which I had turned friends into the producer.

Overall, the 1996 Reserve and Pignan were showing the best - a lot of complexity in the nose and palate that continually evolved throughout the evening. I always thought the Pignan was as good as the regular, and the blind tasting of the two proved it. There was no overwhelming preference between the two.

The nose on the 2008 was phenomenal - a collection of rose gardens concentrated in a glass. The palate was a bit shallow, but my guess is that it will fill out over time.

The 1984 lacked the fruit and was earthier but still had some finesse. I'm told that it was a cold and wet vintage, and that probably explains its showing. The 1988 was very enjoyable as well but a step or two behind the 1996s.

The Bonneau was delicious and was somewhere between the Rayas and SQN. Darker than the Rayas but tasted much lighter than the SQNs.

The SQNs are just not my style especially after drinking the other wines. I enjoyed smelling them, but the extraction was too concentrated for my palate.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
1984 Rayas
1988 Rayas
1996 Rayas
1996 Rayas Pignan
2004 Rayas
2008 Rayas
2007 Rayas Blanc
2005 SQN The Naked Truth
2009 SQN Upside Down

The theme was Grenache, and we wanted to try a vertical of the Rayas which I had turned friends into the producer.

Overall, the 1996 Reserve and Pignan were showing the best - a lot of complexity in the nose and palate that continually evolved throughout the evening. I always thought the Pignan was as good as the regular, and the blind tasting of the two proved it. There was no overwhelming preference between the two.

The nose on the 2008 was phenomenal - a collection of rose gardens concentrated in a glass. The palate was a bit shallow, but my guess is that it will fill out over time.

The 1984 lacked the fruit and was earthier but still had some finesse. I'm told that it was a cold and wet vintage, and that probably explains its showing. The 1988 was very enjoyable as well but a step or two behind the 1996s.

The Bonneau was delicious and was somewhere between the Rayas and SQN. Darker than the Rayas but tasted much lighter than the SQNs.

The SQNs are just not my style especially after drinking the other wines. I enjoyed smelling them, but the extraction was too concentrated for my palate.
Wow! This is an incredible lineup. I do agree with you on your opinion of the SQN style. I will choose a Rayas any day of the week over SQN.
A lowly 1996 Dehlinger Bordeaux Blend

Second last bottle. Better than the last one, but not as good as the one before that. Fruit is still present, as is the acidity. This one doesn't have the jarring sweetness that I found in some previous bottles. Instead, there's black licorice, black cherry, dried tobacco leaf, charred wood, and some savoury herb I can't put my finger on. Good stuff, but the tertiary notes are taking over and it's getting a little tired.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
A lowly 1996 Dehlinger Bordeaux Blend

Second last bottle. Better than the last one, but not as good as the one before that. Fruit is still present, as is the acidity. This one doesn't have the jarring sweetness that I found in some previous bottles. Instead, there's black licorice, black cherry, dried tobacco leaf, charred wood, and some savoury herb I can't put my finger on. Good stuff, but the tertiary notes are taking over and it's getting a little tired.

I feel you after reading this thread.

2014 Simi Alexander valley cab

Straight forward sweet oak with a decent bite on the finish to keep it interedting
quote:

- 1994 Dominus

- 2005 Château d'Yquem

Went to bones many years ago. It was quite good. Hopefully still delivers. I remember having some monstrous chocolate cake type thing.
quote:
Today at Zachys:
1999 Rayas
2003 Cos d’Estournel
1997 Sassicaia
2014 Andremily
1997 Conterno Barbaresco

A few more I didn’t get the producer.

You're drinking pretty good lately!

How was the '03 Cos? That's a personal favorite.
quote:
1984 Rayas
1988 Rayas
1996 Rayas
1996 Rayas Pignan
2004 Rayas
2008 Rayas
2007 Rayas Blanc
2005 SQN The Naked Truth
2009 SQN Upside Down

Holy sh**
quote:
quote:
Today at Zachys:
1999 Rayas
2003 Cos d’Estournel
1997 Sassicaia
2014 Andremily
1997 Conterno Barbaresco

A few more I didn’t get the producer.

You're drinking pretty good lately!

How was the '03 Cos? That's a personal favorite.

The Cos was singing Shane. I haven't had too many wines from 2003, but this Cos seems to be richer and fuller than previous Cos I've had.
A wonderful evening with bman, steve8, Mimik and our better halves at Sur Lie Restaurant in Ottawa. This is a new restaurant for us, and the food and service were both excellent.
Hillary did a great job of herding us wine geek cats. A great time was had by all Big Grin .

To start:
• Chartogne-Taillet “Cuvée Sainte Anne” Champagne

The whites:
• 2016 Badenhorst Family Wines “The Golden Slopes” Chenin Blanc
• 2011 Le Vieux Pin “Ava” Viognier, Rousanne, Marsanne
• 2000 Trimbach “Hommage à Jeanne” Pinot Gris

The reds:
• 1977 Henschke "Mount Edelstone" Shiraz Eden Valley
• 2001 Casanova di Neri "Tenuta Nuova" Brunello di Montalcino
• 2001 Lopez de Heredia "Viña Tondonia" Gran Reserva Rioja
• 2001 Bodegas Uvaguilera Aguilera “Palomero” Ribera del Duero
• 2005 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape

With desert:
• 1995 Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
A wonderful evening with bman, steve8, Mimik and our better halves at Sur Lie Restaurant in Ottawa. This is a new restaurant for us, and the food and service were both excellent.
Hillary did a great job of herding us wine geek cats. A great time was had by all Big Grin .

To start:
• Chartogne-Taillet “Cuvée Sainte Anne” Champagne

The whites:
• 2016 Badenhorst Family Wines “The Golden Slopes” Chenin Blanc
• 2011 Le Vieux Pin “Ava” Viognier, Rousanne, Marsanne
• 2000 Trimbach “Hommage à Jeanne” Pinot Gris

The reds:
• 1977 Henschke "Mount Edelstone" Shiraz Eden Valley
• 2001 Casanova di Neri "Tenuta Nuova" Brunello di Montalcino
• 2001 Lopez de Heredia "Viña Tondonia" Gran Reserva Rioja
• 2001 Bodegas Uvaguilera Aguilera “Palomero” Ribera del Duero
• 2005 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape

With desert:
• 1995 Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port

Terrific evening and thanks to you and Bman for putting it together.

My white WOTN was the Badenhorst, but the Vieux Pin was not far behind. Thanks Rick for introducing me to this excellent BC wine.

My red WOTN was the Palomero followed by the Vesuvio. The VA on the Casanova di Neri ruined the nose even if it didn't seemingly detract from the taste.

And thanks for bringing that 40 year old shiraz. Never would have guessed shiraz if tasting blind.

Until next time.

Add Reply

Likes (0)