quote:
Originally posted by max:
Tonight, 1999 Thomas Winery Willamette Valley Pinot Noir. What a beautiful, beautiful Pinot Noir. Examples like this is why Pinot remains my favorite varietal. Need more of this.

Wow. I would have loved to taste that with you. How old do you have Thomas. First year I have is 2008 I think. Happy New Year Max. See ya soon.
2004 Celler Ripoll Sans Closa Batllet Priorat - good now but will probably improve with a bit more age
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
Tonight, 1999 Thomas Winery Willamette Valley Pinot Noir. What a beautiful, beautiful Pinot Noir. Examples like this is why Pinot remains my favorite varietal. Need more of this.

Wow. I would have loved to taste that with you. How old do you have Thomas. First year I have is 2008 I think. Happy New Year Max. See ya soon.
I have back to the 2002 vintage. Everything before that has been consumed. Very good Pinots that was advised to me by BH Vineyard (Tom M.). I will open a 2002 with you soon.
2011 Sbragia, Sauvignon Blanc, Dry Creek Valley
2011 Merry Edwards, Sauvignon Blanc
2007 Maculan, Breganze, Torcolato

I found the 2011 Merry Edwards to be a little leaner than the 2 previous vintages. Still delicious though.
Celebrating with the Family Smile

NV Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé
2004 Uccelliera Brunello di Montalcino
2004 Pesquera Reserva Ribera del Duero
2009 Nicolas Joly Les Vieux Clos AC Savennièrres - CO2 bubbles, baked apple, oxidized, deep golden colour. I decanted this one and gave it 1-2 hours. Some may find this delicious. I found it too oxidized for my palate. The CO2 bubbles settled down after a few minutes. I really liked this a year ago when I first tried it, and again in the spring but not now.
Last few nights:

- 1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello -- drinking very well, with a savoury/meaty edge to the still-dark fruit

- 2007 Matanzas Creek Chardonnay Sonoma -- apple, honey, citrus, spice, very nice restaurant recommendation

- 2002 Perrot-Minot Gevrey-Chambertin Les Cazetiers VV -- exceptional floral and ripe berry nose, lots of rich berry, cherry, anise, very silky, very long finish, one of those wines where you have to nurse the glass far too long in the hope that it will never end

- 2001 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Clos Jebsal -- gorgeous dark gold, thick peach, pear, brown sugar, butter, very long finish, a great wine, maybe better than the Windsbuhl bottling; from the deep and never disappointing cellar at Wild Ginger in Seattle
NV Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Reserve

NV Jose Dhondt Champagne 1er Cru Blanc de Blancs Selection Brut

Both were excellent with the nod going to the Heidsieck.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
2011 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso

Impressions?

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Charming wine and excellent value. Great balance between the tart cranberry & cherry, savoury tobacco & leather, volcanic minerality, bright acidity and very fine tannins.

I can understand the Burgundy comparisons. It's closer in spirit to the Côte de Beaune than new world pinots are.
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
1995 ridge Geyserville

Would love to hear about this one.

Another reminder I need more ridge in my cellar. Showed beautifully with a notes of cacao, soy, dark plums, big tobacco notes and baking spices. Still has a long life ahead of it. Not as fresh or complex as other geysers I've had, but I still really enjoyed it and will continue to seek out more.
Over the past week:

03 Roederer Est. l'Ermitage Brut
06 Wilson's Ellie's P.S.
06 Rafanelli Cabernet
07 Navarro Deep End Blend Pinot
08 Carlisle Montafi Ranch Zin
11 Ceritas Porter Bass Chard

All were very good - standouts were the Roederer bubbly and the Carlisle Zin
I will be retiring in January 2017 after 40 years in the Nuclear power industry. I thought I'd better give myself a little lead time to find and secure the appropriate wine for that dinner celebration. I would appreciate recommendations for a fully mature red that will be at its apogee in the January of 2017 time frame. Would like the price to be less than $1000 if possible. This will be a special event in my life and I want a mind boggline mind to be part of it. Thanks for your recommendations.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
2005 Celler Joan Simó Priorat Les Eres Vinyes Velles

Cool

We had a quarter bottle remaining so it went into the Savino Wine preserver I got for Christmas. It's basically a cylindrical glass pitcher with a tight-fitting cap and a floater that sits on the wine's surface which together ostensibly prevent further oxidation. The capped Savino sat in the fridge for two days.

As I type, I am enjoying a glass poured from that container about a half hour ago. The wine is virtually indistinguishable from two days ago. Now I just need to figure out if this thing works, or this wine is so incredibly well-constructed that it would have fared this well with or without a fancy wine gadget. Sadly, more bottles will need to be sacrificed in the name of research. Big Grin
On Christmas had a couple really nice bottles

2008 Lillian Blue Label
1990 Beaucastel

The Beaucastel was absolutely a beautiful wine.
My wife and I are celebrating NYE a night early:

1999 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs

I'm surprised by the disparaging TNs on CT. I thought this was a fantastic bottle.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
TNs on CT.

Paging W+A. Devilish

LOL

Yeah, I know what W+A will say.

I realize now that this bottle has more than its share of nut bar TNs.

"Will likely age well for at least 3-5 years and probably longer, though just a guess as I have limited experience with aged sparkling wines."

"Clear light yellow. Very tight nose at first, took some time to open up, then it showed a fresher, young nose and palate with a nice dry finish. At this point we were on our last pairing and my focus had become quite weak."

I also like the guy who said it's "underwhelming, below average value" and then gave it a 93. Crazy

...And one more TN. This is about as succinct as it gets:

"tasty" (92 points)
They are entertaining to read, that's for sure!

Like has been said before, it's an awesome cellar inventory tool. When I see something in a wine shop that I don't know about, I can search to see if people I know have posted anything to help me decide whether or not to buy.
I've been way behind in posting my wines here, so this is what I've had over the past couple weeks:

2007 Rudius Syrah Emerald Pool Alder Springs Vineyard (flawed)
2007 Barnard Griffin Zinfandel Hells Gate Canyon Vineyard
2011 Varner Chardonnay Spring Ridge Vineyard Bee Block
2007 Match Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Butterdragon Hill
2010 Scubla Colli Orientali del Friuli Lo Speziale Bianco
2010 G.D. Vajra Barbera d'Alba
2012 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Central Coast
2011 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon
2011 Vietti Barbera d'Asti Tre Vigne
2007 Martinelli Chardonnay Martinelli Road
NV Jean Moutardier Champagne Cuvée Rosée Brut
2009 Martinelli Chardonnay Zio Tony Ranch
2009 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Crimson Clover
2008 Argyle Club Brut Knudsen Vineyard
2011 Sojourn Pinot Noir Russian River Valley
2011 Left Foot Charley Riesling Seventh Hill Farm
2010 Domaine de Piaugier Côtes du Rhône Villages Sablet
2011 Va Piano Vineyards Syrah Estate Grown
2010 Pomum Cellars Red Wine

Standouts, in a good way, were the Vajra, Moutardier, and Sojourn. I did not care for the Martinelli Road Chardonnay...and neither did my wife or brother. It was an oak and butter bomb - although the Zio Tony Ranch was not like that.
Tonight at Dino with a couple of old dear friends:

2000 Paulo Scavino Barolo (normale)
1999 Poggio Scallette Il Carbonaione
1997 Pian delle Vigne

2008 Bodega Numanthia Termes Toro Termanthia

PH

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.