December 2012: What are you drinking?

quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Last night with Allred, Vino Me, Anwar and our wives:

N.V. Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Réserve
2002 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Special Club
2003 Lamiable Champagne Cuvée Les Meslaines Brut Grand Cru
2002 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année
1998 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut La Grande Dame
N.V. Jacques Selosse Champagne Brut Initiale
2003 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #9
2003 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel
2005 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Clos St. Landry
2000 Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Chaupin
2003 Domaine Roger Perrin Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve des Vieilles Vignes
1999 Kalin Cellars Sémillon
1997 Domaines Schlumberger Gewurztraminer Cuvée Anne

Not a dud in the bunch, but the '02 Launois was my WOTN.
How was the 1999 Kalin Cellars Semillon?
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Last night with Allred, Vino Me, Anwar and our wives:

N.V. Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Réserve
2002 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Special Club
2003 Lamiable Champagne Cuvée Les Meslaines Brut Grand Cru
2002 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année
1998 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut La Grande Dame
N.V. Jacques Selosse Champagne Brut Initiale
2003 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #9
2003 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel
2005 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Clos St. Landry
2000 Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Chaupin
2003 Domaine Roger Perrin Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve des Vieilles Vignes
1999 Kalin Cellars Sémillon
1997 Domaines Schlumberger Gewurztraminer Cuvée Anne

Not a dud in the bunch, but the '02 Launois was my WOTN.


Terrific lineup last night. My WOTN would be the 2003 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel- perfect balance of fruit, petrol and acidity, and it paired very well with Lady VM's dishes. The Launois was excellent though; glad we tried it, now I need to grab some more and sit on them for a while. The Kalin was indeed tight and really didn't begin to open until Domino and I were we'll into clean up & dish washing...three bottles left, and I will try to wait a couple of years before opening another. Thanks all for another terrific evening.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
With bman, Impulse, Uncle John, Robo Porker, vinaigre and lovelandre (and the ladies) at Le Smoking Vallee last evening. A great night to spend with everyone over this Holiday.

1989 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Trilennium Reserve Cuvée
2008 Guigal Condrieu La Dorianne
2005 Clos Apalta
2001 Pio Cesare barolo
2007 Jonata La Sangre de Jonata
2008 Achaval-Ferrer Finca Bella Vista
2005 Don Melchor
2005 Cuvee des cadettes, Chateau la Nerthe
2005 Peter Michael Les Pavots
2005 Vega Sicilia Alion
1977 Taylor Fladgate VP

All wines showed very well.


Is that all we get? No WOTN? How was the resto? How about the 01 Pio Cesare and 05 Melchor? Drink or holds? I won't ask that about the 05 Alion because it must be a hold.

Oh, and who wrote down the names of all the wines? Wink

steve8 - The restaurant was excellent. Yet another to be added to the list (Good find, vinaigre). Food very good. Most of the guys had the Cheval for the main and it was very, very nicely prepared.

The '08 Achaval-Ferrer was very elegant.
The '01 Pio Cesare barolo showed very well. To be honest, I was just enjoying the evening and not critiquing the wines much. I don't recall the '05 Mellchor (it may not have made its' way to the complete end of the table I was at. I also don't recall the la Nerthe getting down to us, either, but I didn't give it a second thought. Nothing was stressed over. The Taylor was NOT corked this time. It was all good.

You are correct that the Alion needed the most time. The Condrieu was textbook. Beautiful.

FYI: I took the wines from the 'Declared' list to work from as I couldn't count on you Big Grin

OH Yeah: You and J were missed Wink
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
With bman, Impulse, Uncle John, Robo Porker, vinaigre and lovelandre (and the ladies) at Le Smoking Vallee last evening. A great night to spend with everyone over this Holiday.

1989 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Trilennium Reserve Cuvée
2008 Guigal Condrieu La Dorianne
2005 Clos Apalta
2001 Pio Cesare barolo
2007 Jonata La Sangre de Jonata
2008 Achaval-Ferrer Finca Bella Vista
2005 Don Melchor
2005 Cuvee des cadettes, Chateau la Nerthe
2005 Peter Michael Les Pavots
2005 Vega Sicilia Alion
1977 Taylor Fladgate VP

All wines showed very well.


Is that all we get? No WOTN? How was the resto? How about the 01 Pio Cesare and 05 Melchor? Drink or holds? I won't ask that about the 05 Alion because it must be a hold.

Oh, and who wrote down the names of all the wines? Wink


I have thought that the 2005 Clos Apalta is one of the best expressions of that cuvee that I have tried, and truly worthy to hang in prestigious company. Any thoughts?
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
I have thought that the 2005 Clos Apalta is one of the best expressions of that cuvee that I have tried, and truly worthy to hang in prestigious company. Any thoughts?

An excellent showing of this young wine, Redhawk. I do believe that this is my first experience with Clos Apalta so I've nothing to compare it to. But very nice indeed.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2000 Harlan Estate
How did this one do Shaferguy?


Max,

This was a really delicious wine. Very elegant, rich and powerful. I decanted for 2 hours and it was hitting on all cylinders.

Last night:
2010 Bergström Pinot Noir de Lancellotti
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
1990 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires
1998 Tarlant Brut Prestige


Hope that Charlie shows as well as it did last time...and Happy New Year to you and Mrs Mangiare. Smile


Thanks Bro. Happy New Year to you and C as well!

Just added a 1990 Pichon Lalande to this "quiet" evening.
Last night appies at our home and then out to dinner with great friends:

- NV Godme Pere et Fils Champagne Brut Blanc de Noirs -- floral and berry, very nice
- 2002 Bollinger Champagne Brut La Grande Annee -- this is outstanding, dough, pear, pineapple, ginger, roasted nuts, long finish, almost a Wow! wine
- 2005 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Wintzenheim Clos Häuserer -- big powerful Riesling, intense apple and honey, extremely long finish, good acidity, can probably go decades, killer with lobster consommé and prawns
- 2009 Beaux Freres Pinot Noir Beaux Freres Vineyard -- lovely floral and black tea nose, bit lighter than expected but lots of flavour, cherry, berry, cola, very nice
- 2006 Leonetti Merlot -- berry and espresso nose and palate, great plush texture, long finish, very enjoyable
- 2000 Leonetti Cabernet Sauvignon -- nose was eerily similar to the Merlot, but spicier in the mouth, plum, good acidity, silky, very long finish with fine tannins at the end, firing on all cylinders now, probably at peak

Also had Aqualunca Pastis before dinner at the restaurant, which is the best tasting Pastis/Pernod/Ouzo type of liquor that I've ever had, far more complex than Ricard or the other usual suspects. I will seek this out.

And some kind of Sandeman's Port late in the evening.

Nice way to end 2012, and no matter how good it was, am hoping that 2013 will be better yet for everyone. Happy New Year to all!

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×