December 2012: What are you drinking?

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1953 Krug Collection Brut ( magnum)

Yet another plebian bottle. Roll Eyes You really need to step up your game, man.... Wink

PH

Our CEO's birth year, so we 5 partners bought and enjoyed at our Austin celebration.
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
2009 Bastide de Beauvert (les Vignoble Foncalieu) Cotes du Rhone.--mixed berry compote on the nose. Nice youthful fruit with balanced tannins. Very nice bottle for the price (most of the wine went into the braised beef ribs, however. Winner
2003 Vieux Telegraphe CdP La Crau. -- nice aromatic nose and beautiful structure. Still needs time, though.
2003 Chateau Pavie St. Emilion. Wow! actually seems open for business, but obviously still quite young.
Glenfiddich 30 year old. -- yummy
Rare Malts Selection Glen Ord 23 year old (cask strength) -- also yummy. And went well with the meteor shower tonight.
Elijah Craig (private) Opperman barrel #3 "Cigar Bourbon" -- nice and spicy. A perfect way to finish my San Christobal Habana.

What did you drink with the short ribs? Would think both the VT and Pavie would be pleasant...little cold up in MI for a cigar no? Nice pairing there as well Cool

It was an informal dinner, so we basically finished the bottle of VT, and started on the decanter of Pavie mid-meal. Both went very well with the ribs. I would say that the Pavie is a flashier wine that really stands on its own, not necessarily needing any food to pair with it. The VT is still a little tight, but it probably paired better with the meal, over all.

Yes, it was cold, as you would expect a clear Michigan night in mid-december to be. So you wear a coat and a hat, and put a splash of room temp water in the Scotch instead of an ice cube, and enjoy it as it cools down. Unfortunately we don't have a hot tub here in Saginaw, as that is perhaps the better way to enjoy cigars and Scotch in the winter.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Redhawk, that sounds like a heck of an evening. I'm predicting a bit of dehydration and a headache for you this morning, though!

I foresaw the potential problem, and drank lots of water last night! No problem today, although I'm off work and could sleep in a little. Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:
2009 Bastide de Beauvert (les Vignoble Foncalieu) Cotes du Rhone.--mixed berry compote on the nose. Nice youthful fruit with balanced tannins. Very nice bottle for the price (most of the wine went into the braised beef ribs, however. Winner
2003 Vieux Telegraphe CdP La Crau. -- nice aromatic nose and beautiful structure. Still needs time, though.
2003 Chateau Pavie St. Emilion. Wow! actually seems open for business, but obviously still quite young.
Glenfiddich 30 year old. -- yummy
Rare Malts Selection Glen Ord 23 year old (cask strength) -- also yummy. And went well with the meteor shower tonight.
Elijah Craig (private) Opperman barrel #3 "Cigar Bourbon" -- nice and spicy. A perfect way to finish my San Christobal Habana.

What did you drink with the short ribs? Would think both the VT and Pavie would be pleasant...little cold up in MI for a cigar no? Nice pairing there as well Cool

It was an informal dinner, so we basically finished the bottle of VT, and started on the decanter of Pavie mid-meal. Both went very well with the ribs. I would say that the Pavie is a flashier wine that really stands on its own, not necessarily needing any food to pair with it. The VT is still a little tight, but it probably paired better with the meal, over all.

Yes, it was cold, as you would expect a clear Michigan night in mid-december to be. So you wear a coat and a hat, and put a splash of room temp water in the Scotch instead of an ice cube, and enjoy it as it cools down. Unfortunately we don't have a hot tub here in Saginaw, as that is perhaps the better way to enjoy cigars and Scotch in the winter.

Yup...I look the "stay puff marshmellow man" up here in the winter puffing on a cigar...I've yet to find a pair of gloves that are warm enough, yet thin enough to hold the cigar comfortably.

By the way....I do the same with my scotch/bourbon....drink as it cools Cool
quote:

Yup...I look the "stay puff marshmellow man" up here in the winter puffing on a cigar...I've yet to find a pair of gloves that are warm enough, yet thin enough to hold the cigar comfortably.

Actually, it wasn't so cold that I needed gloves last night. Besides, a bare hand helps to keep the whiskey from getting too cold.

Marcb, where are you located?
quote:
quote:

Actually, it wasn't so cold that I needed gloves last night. Besides, a bare hand helps to keep the whiskey from getting too cold.

Marcb, where are you located?

Im in NH....where your 'balls' ascend for 4 months after Thanksgiving.....actually it has been seasonally warm here too...45 degrees today...but I smoke year round...even in 10-20 degree weather...albeit a short cigar!
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
NV Gaston Chiquet Brut
2- 1992 Spottswoode
2- 1992 Volcanic Hill
4- 1992 Dominus
1- 1982 Talenti BDM

Banana Banana

You drank 4 bottles of 1992 Dominus tonight?

Awesome!!! Razz

To celebrate 12/12/12 all bottles started with 1 and ended with 2. Thanks to Gman for the tip.

Board-O, I thought the Dominus was very good just not great which I have thought in the past.
All in all, a great night of debauchery.

a very very proper one I might add =)
Planning to have fresh Dover sole when we go out to dinner tonight, and taking along 2007 Paul Coulon Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc Boisrenard (as well as my wife Smile).

There will be a yet to be determined Champagne to start off the long-awaited weekend too.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Planning to have fresh Dover sole when we go out to dinner tonight, and taking along 2007 Paul Coulon Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc Boisrenard (as well as my wife Smile).

There will be a yet to be determined Champagne to start off the long-awaited weekend too.

From the long awaited weekend comment I take it all worked out to your satisfaction? Cheers.
2008 Ferrer Bobet Priorat - first bottle of this and underwhelmed. First sip revealed a flabby wine. Over time it started to show some structure and fruit but after 2 hours I feel it hadn't shown what it was capable of. Probably hold the rest for a few years as this was not a bottle to brag about.
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
2008 Ferrer Bobet Priorat - first bottle of this and underwhelmed. First sip revealed a flabby wine. Over time it started to show some structure and fruit but after 2 hours I feel it hadn't shown what it was capable of. Probably hold the rest for a few years as this was not a bottle to brag about.

+1

I had this a couple weeks ago off of a recommendation, and was completely underwhelmed.
- 2007 Dunn Napa (a combo of a celebration & just checking in on the bottle). It needed a good (3) hours of air, but it was surprisingly open for business. I prefer the '06 by a long shot, but this is still great stuff.

- 2010 Belle Glos "Clark & Telephone Vineyard" Pinot (Not fun out of the bottle, but very nice after (2) hours in the decanter). The fluctuation in price on these C&T's is crazy. I bought this one at $26, but I have seen them approach $60. At $26, it's a great buy. At $60, no way...
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:

+1

I had this a couple weeks ago off of a recommendation, and was completely underwhelmed.

This needs time.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
2010 Ayoub Pinot Noir ???. Way young, but I've never had an Ayoub before, so I wanted to get a sense for my remaining three bottles. Excellent, but this probably needs three years at least.

Several people in OR highly reccomended we visit Ayoub when we were out there. Didn't make it, and I've kind of been kicking myself for it. Oh well...
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
My last one was corked. Such is wine.... Frown

PH

I'm thinking '89 Bordeaux is not your friend. Razz

That is three I'm aware of.

Man, I hope that's not the case. I have just a few more that I'm counting on.... Have a 1989 Lynch Bages standing for holiday consumption. If it comes close to my last bottle, my 1989 curse will be done for a while.... Wink

PH

Add Reply

Likes (0)