December 2012: What are you Buying?

quote:
Originally posted by Baird:
2010 DOMAINE TERLATO & CHAPOUTIER LIEU DIT MALAKOFF SHIRAZ.

Figured a RP97 point 2010 Aussie Shiraz (which he no longer really covers for WA) was worth a look for $50. Grabbed a couple of bottles.


I brought this to our tasting group blind. Most thought it was traditional northern rhone with one guessing south africa. Chock-full of olives, capers, brine, and pepper. A nice surprise.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:
2010 DOMAINE TERLATO & CHAPOUTIER LIEU DIT MALAKOFF SHIRAZ.

Figured a RP97 point 2010 Aussie Shiraz (which he no longer really covers for WA) was worth a look for $50. Grabbed a couple of bottles.


I brought this to our tasting group blind. Most thought it was traditional northern rhone with one guessing south africa. Chock-full of olives, capers, brine, and pepper. A nice surprise.


Drinking well now or could it hold for a while?
2007 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barbera d'Alba Conca Tre Pile
2008 Argiolas Korem Isola dei Nuraghi IGT
2006 Domaine de Marcoux Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Domaine de la Charbonnière Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Vieilles Vignes
2011 Domaine de la Charbonnière Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:
2010 DOMAINE TERLATO & CHAPOUTIER LIEU DIT MALAKOFF SHIRAZ.

Figured a RP97 point 2010 Aussie Shiraz (which he no longer really covers for WA) was worth a look for $50. Grabbed a couple of bottles.


I brought this to our tasting group blind. Most thought it was traditional northern rhone with one guessing south africa. Chock-full of olives, capers, brine, and pepper. A nice surprise.


Drinking well now or could it hold for a while?


What did your crew figure for a drinking window WC? I'm wondering too. Thanks for posting the note. It looks appealing and worth picking some up.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:
2010 DOMAINE TERLATO & CHAPOUTIER LIEU DIT MALAKOFF SHIRAZ.

Figured a RP97 point 2010 Aussie Shiraz (which he no longer really covers for WA) was worth a look for $50. Grabbed a couple of bottles.


I brought this to our tasting group blind. Most thought it was traditional northern rhone with one guessing south africa. Chock-full of olives, capers, brine, and pepper. A nice surprise.


Drinking well now or could it hold for a while?


What did your crew figure for a drinking window WC? I'm wondering too. Thanks for posting the note. It looks appealing and worth picking some up.


Chapoutier calls for 7-10 years cellaring for the 2009 and mentions "can last 15+ years" for the 2010.

I only bought two and will probably forget about them for 2-3 years.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:
2010 DOMAINE TERLATO & CHAPOUTIER LIEU DIT MALAKOFF SHIRAZ.

Figured a RP97 point 2010 Aussie Shiraz (which he no longer really covers for WA) was worth a look for $50. Grabbed a couple of bottles.


I brought this to our tasting group blind. Most thought it was traditional northern rhone with one guessing south africa. Chock-full of olives, capers, brine, and pepper. A nice surprise.


Drinking well now or could it hold for a while?


What did your crew figure for a drinking window WC? I'm wondering too. Thanks for posting the note. It looks appealing and worth picking some up.


Chapoutier calls for 7-10 years cellaring for the 2009 and mentions "can last 15+ years" for the 2010.

I only bought two and will probably forget about them for 2-3 years.


Thanks. I might pick up a couple as well. There certainly seems to be a lot of it floating around.
MV Krug Champagne Grande Cuvée Brut
2002 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année
NV H. Billiot Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé
NV Pierre Péters Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve
NV Domaine Tissot (André & Mireille now Stéphane) Crémant du Jura Extra Brut
NV L. Aubry Fils Champagne Brut 1er Cru

Plus a few sparklers for the family on Christmas Eve

Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs
Gruet Blanc de Noirs
Roederer Anderson Valley
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Wow - close-out on bubbly somewhere? Smile

We are hoping some of them go on sale after the holidays so we can re-stock.


You know who went to Binny's for some cheap sparklers for my beer drinking family on Christmas Eve. The others somehow appeared in the cart. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
NV Pierre Péters Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve

How much? I saw it at another store last week for $39 but did not buy.

VM


$49. I've found that Binny's seems to be higher on Champagne than other stores. $39 is below the average on CT.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
$49. I've found that Binny's seems to be higher on Champagne than other stores. $39 is below the average on CT.

I've noticed this as well, and found it to be very strange, considering they are usually priced so well on most other things.

Last weekend, I got a couple early Christmas presents: 2 x 2010 Le Vieux Donjon CdP.
Drinkers (or sippers) for the Christmas weekend:

Highland Park 12
Caol Ila 12

2010 Domaine Notre Dame des Pallieres Gigondas Les Mourres
2010 Ridge Crest Cab Sauv Colubia Valley
2009 Columbia Crest Amitage Red Columbai Valley
2009 M. Chapoutier Cotes du Roussiloon Villages Latour Domaine de Bila-Haut Occultum Lapidem
2009 Domaine des Rozets Coteaux du Tricastin
2009 Soos Creek Sundance Columbia Valley
2010 Plowbuster Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
2011 August Kesseler Riesling Kabinett Pradikatswein Rheingau
4 x Scharffenberger Brut Excellence Mendocino County
1 x 1996/97 Herbert Triebaumer Furmint Gelber Muskateller Ruster Ausbruch (375ml) @ $8

If anyone in Chicago is looking for a great deal on a ready to drink dessert wine, this is it. Wine Discount Center has cases of this marked down from $28. This Austrian wine should drink similar to a Beerenauslese. Not as concentrated as a Kracher but hard to beat this price.

VM
Speaking of Wine Discount Center, they seem to beat Binny's on a whole bunch of sparklers/Champagnes, sometimes by a somewhat wide margin. FYI for those in the area looking to buy bubbly for the holidays.

Via WTSO, 2 x NV Philippe Prie Brut Rose Champagne. I've really liked the other two wines we've had from this house.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:
2010 DOMAINE TERLATO & CHAPOUTIER LIEU DIT MALAKOFF SHIRAZ.

Figured a RP97 point 2010 Aussie Shiraz (which he no longer really covers for WA) was worth a look for $50. Grabbed a couple of bottles.


I brought this to our tasting group blind. Most thought it was traditional northern rhone with one guessing south africa. Chock-full of olives, capers, brine, and pepper. A nice surprise.


Drinking well now or could it hold for a while?


What did your crew figure for a drinking window WC? I'm wondering too. Thanks for posting the note. It looks appealing and worth picking some up.


Chapoutier calls for 7-10 years cellaring for the 2009 and mentions "can last 15+ years" for the 2010.

I only bought two and will probably forget about them for 2-3 years.


My CT Note:

"Wow! Never had Shiraz like this! Easily a ringer for N. Rhone. Olive, brine, pickles, capers, pepper, meat, dark fruit is totally background. Not hugely structured on the palate, but moderate acid and a nice long finish. Well done. (93 Points)."

I'm not sure this has the structure to age like a Cote-Rotie or Hermitage which I usually find to be extremely tight, primary and tannic in their youth. By contrast, this wine, after 30 mins in a decanter was quite open. I would say it's drinking fine now and I'd let it go up to 10 years. Of course I would be checking in along the way.
3 x 2009 Nicolas Joly Les Vieux Clos AC Savennièrres
3 x 2008 Luigi D’Alessandro Il Bosco Sryah Cortona
4 x 2007 Balthasar Ress Hattenheim Nussbrunnen Riesling Spätlese
1 x 2003 Cos D’Estournel
1 x 1996 Bertrand Ambroise Corton Le Rognet Grand Cru
1 x 1990 Roumieu Lacoste, Barsac

Plus assorted Bourgogne, Ripasso, Soave for ecnomical QPR wines.
Starting to replace Champagne in anticipation of my supply being a bit depleted in the next couple of weeks:

NV Bruno Gobillard Brut Rosé Mlle Sophie X2
NV Jose Dhondt Brut Rosé de Saignee X2
1998 Krug X2
NV Ruinart Brut Rosé X1
2002 Bernard Bremont Brut GC X1
NV Godme Brut Blanc de Noirs X5
NV Taittinger Brut Prelude GC X1

As well, my son gave my wife and me a bottle of 2004 Cristal for our anniversary which, like any gift from a son, is greatly appreciated. Smile
During our recent trip to Argentina:

2 x 2011 Bodega Bressia Royale Brut Nature
2 x 2010 Achával-Ferrer Malbec Finca Bella Vista
2 x 2003 Carmelo Patti Gran Assemblage
2 x 2010 Finca Decero Petit Verdot Remolinos Vineyard
2 x 2010 Bodegas Salentein Numina Gran Corte Spirit Vineyard
2 x 2007 Andeluna Cellars Cabernet Franc Pasionado

Today:

4 x 2001 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia

Plus I recently received my Sine Qua Non, Cayuse and Saxum shipments

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×