Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
-1997 Antinori Pian delle Vigne BdM (tired)
That is surprising. Had a bottle last year that had plenty of life ahead and not at its peak yet.


A bottle I had in September (slow-ox'd for three hours) was amazing and in the butter zone (with a long life ahead). It was delicious. Ask DoktaP, w+a, and KSC.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
-1997 Antinori Pian delle Vigne BdM (tired)

A bottle I had in September (slow-ox'd for three hours) was amazing and in the butter zone (with a long life ahead). It was delicious. Ask DoktaP, w+a, and KSC.

Ai, that it was indeed Cool

Sorry to read that your bottle didn't show well, impulse. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by Estimator:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
1999 Riesling icewine VQA Niagara Peninsula Konzelmann

KSC, are you a fan of Konzelmann's Riesling Icewine?

First time experience with this producer for me, Estimator.
This was served at an SAQ lunch meeting, thus right from their cellars.
Must admit, it was hands down the tastiest ice wine I've had the pleasure of consuming. Gorgeous.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Estimator:
Must admit, it was hands down the tastiest ice wine I've had the pleasure of consuming. Gorgeous.


Try the '06 Wink.

Still on the shelves?[/QUOTE]

Not sure, bought mine from the winery in October. I will be there next weekend and I will have a look and grab some. I should be in your neck of the woods in the New Year. Late January most likely.
Bordeaux 2008s are starting to trickle into Spec's here in Houston. I picked up Laplagnotte-Bellvue 2008 (St-Emilion) last night, a low-to-mid priced, reliable producer that's always in stock at Spec's year-after-year. Juicy, fresh, and modern in style that would satisfy fans of Napa; but lacking richness and concentration. I really had to coax any typicity whatsoever out of the nose with an aggressive swirl. A good drink for the dinner table.
Last edited by tha
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
Last night with homemade lasagna:

2001 Villa Cafaggio San Martino Vino da Tavola


How was the 01 San Martino WIML? I've not tried an '01, but this is usually a delicious 100% sangio.


It was good. Here is my note:

2001 Villa Cafaggio San Martino Vino da Tavola – Italy, Tuscany, Vino da Tavola (12/1/2010)
Tasted non blind. Opened and served immediately. Followed over about 90 minutes. Garnet to dark garnet color in the glass, clear looking throughout. Nose of leather, lavender, soapstone, berries and plums. Flavors of berries, plums and a bit of cherries. Medium to bright acidity, medium tannins, medium body. Drink over the next year or so. 90. (90 points)
quote:
Originally posted by THA:
Bordeaux 2008s are starting to trickle into Spec's here in Houston. I picked up Laplognotte-Bellvue 2008 (St-Emilion) last night, a low-to-mid priced, reliable producer that's always in stock at Spec's year-after-year. Juicy, fresh, and modern in style that would satisfy fans of Napa; but lacking richness and concentration. I really had to coax any typicity whatsoever out of the nose with an aggressive swirl. A good drink for the dinner table.


DRAB, is this you?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by jqmunro:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1990 Gosset Celebris
1988 Haut Brion
1988 La Mission Haut Brion
1989 Baumard QdC


Was the Gosset Celebris the BdB or the regular?



It was a blend... did they make a vintage BdB IN '90?


w+a, you're quite right. No BdB in '90. I guess I should check before asking Smile

Up for tonight:
1982 Dom Perignon
No, sir

quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by THA:
Bordeaux 2008s are starting to trickle into Spec's here in Houston. I picked up Laplagnotte-Bellvue 2008 (St-Emilion) last night, a low-to-mid priced, reliable producer that's always in stock at Spec's year-after-year. Juicy, fresh, and modern in style that would satisfy fans of Napa; but lacking richness and concentration. I really had to coax any typicity whatsoever out of the nose with an aggressive swirl. A good drink for the dinner table.


DRAB, is this you?
quote:
Originally posted by THA:
No, sir

quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by THA:
Bordeaux 2008s are starting to trickle into Spec's here in Houston. I picked up Laplagnotte-Bellvue 2008 (St-Emilion) last night, a low-to-mid priced, reliable producer that's always in stock at Spec's year-after-year. Juicy, fresh, and modern in style that would satisfy fans of Napa; but lacking richness and concentration. I really had to coax any typicity whatsoever out of the nose with an aggressive swirl. A good drink for the dinner table.


DRAB, is this you?


Kindred spirits. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
quote:
Originally posted by jqmunro:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2007 Le Vieux Donjon CdP
2007 Château de Beaucastel CdR Coudoulet de Beaucastel

Thoughts on the Donjon?
Same here. I remember you being unimpressed last time you had this.

HA! Good memory. We'd prepared lamb last evening and this was my only bottle of CdP in the home cellar, so I decided to give it another go. Opened and splash decanted for 4 hours prior to eating, it showed much better this time. While not in any manner a 'wow' experience, it is indeed a solid CdP and showing well with an appropriate chance to air.
Last night at dinner with Ampuis:

- 1996 Duval-Leroy Champagne Femme -- excellent, very fine mousse
- 2001 Trimbach Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile --very good, very steely, minerally
- 1998 Le Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf du Pape -- fabulous
- 1997 Jamet Cote-Rotie Les Sommets d'Harys -- poster child for the wild side of Northern Rhone Syrah, exotic and fabulous, a wine you can just smell all night


Nice to have an evening when all the wines showed beautifully
quote:
Originally posted by AZwineRyan:
quote:
Originally posted by jqmunro:
2008 Cameron Hughes Lot 200 Napa Valley - Cabernet


What do you think? I bought a ton of it.

In my book, it's in a bit of an awkward stage right now because it hasn't been bottled for very long, but with a good 2 plus hour decant, it's showing great potential.


Agreed, I decanted one a few weeks ago and after a couple hours it was definitely worth the $28 tariff. I just opened this one so it's still spreading its... uh... pedals.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
2008 Stefania Haut Tubee


What did you think?


Sorry, just saw this. I think it will be excellent with a little time. A bit disjointed and a tad hot, but all of the components are there - I think it will be better than the 2007 which I thoroughly enjoyed.

IMO this is much more than a simple table wine made with Paul & Steph's leftover grapes. I found the 2007 to be quite complex and interesting. The fruit in the 2008 strikes me as a little more intense than the 2007.
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Last night at dinner with Ampuis:

- 1996 Duval-Leroy Champagne Femme -- excellent, very fine mousse


Curious, have you tried the 1995? I think we'll be opening that with friends next weekend to celebrate the birth of their twins.

I had the '95 last year and I thought it was an excellent wine.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Last night at dinner with Ampuis:

- 1996 Duval-Leroy Champagne Femme -- excellent, very fine mousse


Curious, have you tried the 1995? I think we'll be opening that with friends next weekend to celebrate the birth of their twins.

I had the '95 last year and I thought it was an excellent wine.


Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying it.
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Last night at dinner with Ampuis:

- 1996 Duval-Leroy Champagne Femme -- excellent, very fine mousse


Curious, have you tried the 1995? I think we'll be opening that with friends next weekend to celebrate the birth of their twins.



I'm sorry, the only vintage I've ever had of this bottling is 1996 (it's the only time I've seen it on local shelves).
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
It was delivered an hour ago, and it's already chilled.


really??

i'm petrified of opening wines so close to having been shipped. one of the first times i ever had wine shipped to me, i opened a wine the next day and it was awful. ever since then i'm scared to open anything without letting it settle down for at least 2 weeks. i guess i'm being paranoid.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
2008 Tablas Creek Cote de Tablas Blanc


I enjoy Tablas Creek, but they are somewhat hard to find in our market.


Order it direct from the winery. The tasting room has been running specials as of late. We bought a half case of the Espirit offerings back in July and they shipped it for FREE.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2008 Montes Alpha Syrah

Another bottle, eh? How does it compare to the past couple vintages?

I've enjoyed past vintages slightly better, but we are splitting hairs here, gig.
A pretty consistent showing from one vintage to the next. Also, I'm admittedly drinking these young while the others I've let sit for a year or so. Not sure if that really makes a difference with this particular wine.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2008 Montes Alpha Syrah

Another bottle, eh? How does it compare to the past couple vintages?

I've enjoyed past vintages slightly better, but we are splitting hairs here, gig.
A pretty consistent showing from one vintage to the next. Also, I'm admittedly drinking these young while the others I've let sit for a year or so. Not sure if that really makes a difference with this particular wine.

I agree; always consistent. The '07 is still available here and I keep buying it. Smile You still have a few bottles of '06, don't you?
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2008 Montes Alpha Syrah

Another bottle, eh? How does it compare to the past couple vintages?

I've enjoyed past vintages slightly better, but we are splitting hairs here, gig.
A pretty consistent showing from one vintage to the next.


Agreed. The Montes Alpha Syrah has been one of my sub $20 go-to bottles for years now. Very consistent, but I gotta say that the 2005 really stood out to me.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
2008 Tablas Creek Cote de Tablas Blanc


I enjoy Tablas Creek, but they are somewhat hard to find in our market.


Order it direct from the winery. The tasting room has been running specials as of late. We bought a half case of the Espirit offerings back in July and they shipped it for FREE.



Thanks Joe. I get all I want local, but it only makes it to the Metroplex twice a year, so one must plan ahead. Wink

It so severely outperforms these South American and Australian wines overall, that I can only shake my head.
Last night with Gkapoor and a couple of big juicy rib-eye steaks:

2007 Tablas Creek Panoplie
2006 SQN Shot in the Dark

Both were huge wines and not something I could drink often, but great fun once and awhile with a big steak. I preferred the Tablas for its structure compared to the SQN, but both were really good. Should be interesting to see how these wines age.

Also started with a really nice 2000 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons with smoked salmon.
Yesterday night, a vertical tasting of some rare stuff:

-1994 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (getting tired)
-1995 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (still very much alive)
-1996 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (#3 WOTN - amazing depth and complexity)
-1997 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (slightly off, bottle variation)
-1998 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (#2 WOTN - grand cru quality, had everything going)
-1999 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (WOW! WOTN for me)
-2000 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (still too young)
-2001 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (still too young)

Overall quality was very impressive; the depth of flavours and the power of these pinots was in a class of its own.

After the tasting, some little extras:
-2006 Camille Giroud Corton Clos du Roi Grand Cru (way too young, not that pleasant at the moment)
-1996 Roty Griotte-Chambertin Grand Cru (wow! very impressive)
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Last night with Gkapoor and a couple of big juicy rib-eye steaks:

2007 Tablas Creek Panoplie
2006 SQN Shot in the Dark

Both were huge wines and not something I could drink often, but great fun once and awhile with a big steak. I preferred the Tablas for its structure compared to the SQN, but both were really good. Should be interesting to see how these wines age.

Also started with a really nice 2000 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons with smoked salmon.


The Tablas Panoplie was the star of the night, much better balance when compared to the SQN which needs a few years to melo. The 2000 Les Chetillon is an excellent wine for the price.
quote:
Originally posted by Mezzo Litro:
At last night's TUS off-line:

1998 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame
1999 Joseph Phelps Insignia
2001 Serpico Feudi di San Gregorio
2001 Hosanna (I think this was the vintage)
2002 Beringer PR

To me, every wine was fantastic in its own right. The champagne was one of the best I've had in a while. The Insignia put on weight as the night went on and just got better and better. It was incredible. The Serpico was nothing like like what I expected. A wonderful wine from a great vintage. The Hosanna was a nice treat, although somebody mentioned they thought it was a little off. It was fine for me. And the Beringer (for me) had the best nose by far and a wonderful mouthful and taste. Sorry gents...but the Beringer was my WOTN, with the Insignia a close second.


Hi Mezz, what does TUS stand for?

It was 2001 Hosanna and it definitely had a musty funk that really didn't blow off as the night progressd. Disappointment in my mind
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
Yesterday night, a vertical tasting of some rare stuff:

Sounds like a fantastic evening, impulse.
Just curious; was this an importer tasting?


Actually, it was the former importer who organized it, all the wines from his private cellar. Dugat-Py is now represented by Maitre de Chai in Quebec.
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
2008 Sojourn Pinot Noir Gap's Crown Vineyard - this one did not do it for me.


Have you had the 2007, Wine Sparty? If so, can you compare?


I've had the 2007 - I thought it was great.

My notes (from July of this year):

This was gorgeous, just pure blueberry and black cherry fruit that was just in such terrific balance. Just went smooth over the palate with a transition in the mid-palate that was subtle. Acid was low - was great for the beginning of the meal where you don't need a wine to rip through the food. Not overly extracted. Impressive. 93.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
2009 Saint Cosme Cotes du Rhone.


How was it? I recommended it to a non-wino friend without having tasted it.


Quite solid. It's a little different than what I am used to for CdR as I believe it's primarily, if not 100% Syrah. I would describe it has having more "bass notes" than treble in flavor. Nice raspberry coming through after it's been open a while. Awesome QPR in the $10-$11 range. I can see this becoming a daily drinker for cold-weather cooking.
Drinking up the last few of my '70's CA Cabernets. Looking to continued work (ha...ha work?) on my '80's, then off to the beautiful CA reds of the '90s for 2011. Been drinking these CA '90's for a while now and me likey a lot, so many goodies in there (1994 Pride Mountain Reserve Cabernet was one![opened 10/99])


There are no good old wines, just good bottles of old wines. said before