Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
It was delivered an hour ago, and it's already chilled.

really??

i'm petrified of opening wines so close to having been shipped. one of the first times i ever had wine shipped to me, i opened a wine the next day and it was awful. ever since then i'm scared to open anything without letting it settle down for at least 2 weeks. i guess i'm being paranoid.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
2008 Tablas Creek Cote de Tablas Blanc

I enjoy Tablas Creek, but they are somewhat hard to find in our market.

Order it direct from the winery. The tasting room has been running specials as of late. We bought a half case of the Espirit offerings back in July and they shipped it for FREE.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2008 Montes Alpha Syrah

Another bottle, eh? How does it compare to the past couple vintages?

I've enjoyed past vintages slightly better, but we are splitting hairs here, gig.
A pretty consistent showing from one vintage to the next. Also, I'm admittedly drinking these young while the others I've let sit for a year or so. Not sure if that really makes a difference with this particular wine.
quote:
quote:
quote:
2008 Montes Alpha Syrah

I've enjoyed past vintages slightly better, but we are splitting hairs here, gig.
A pretty consistent showing from one vintage to the next. Also, I'm admittedly drinking these young while the others I've let sit for a year or so. Not sure if that really makes a difference with this particular wine.

I agree; always consistent. The '07 is still available here and I keep buying it. Smile You still have a few bottles of '06, don't you?
quote:
quote:
quote:
2008 Montes Alpha Syrah

A pretty consistent showing from one vintage to the next.

Agreed. The Montes Alpha Syrah has been one of my sub $20 go-to bottles for years now. Very consistent, but I gotta say that the 2005 really stood out to me.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
2008 Tablas Creek Cote de Tablas Blanc

I enjoy Tablas Creek, but they are somewhat hard to find in our market.

Order it direct from the winery. The tasting room has been running specials as of late. We bought a half case of the Espirit offerings back in July and they shipped it for FREE.

Thanks Joe. I get all I want local, but it only makes it to the Metroplex twice a year, so one must plan ahead. Wink

It so severely outperforms these South American and Australian wines overall, that I can only shake my head.
Last night with Gkapoor and a couple of big juicy rib-eye steaks:

2007 Tablas Creek Panoplie
2006 SQN Shot in the Dark

Both were huge wines and not something I could drink often, but great fun once and awhile with a big steak. I preferred the Tablas for its structure compared to the SQN, but both were really good. Should be interesting to see how these wines age.

Also started with a really nice 2000 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons with smoked salmon.
Yesterday night, a vertical tasting of some rare stuff:

-1994 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (getting tired)
-1995 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (still very much alive)
-1996 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (#3 WOTN - amazing depth and complexity)
-1997 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (slightly off, bottle variation)
-1998 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (#2 WOTN - grand cru quality, had everything going)
-1999 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (WOW! WOTN for me)
-2000 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (still too young)
-2001 Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru Lavaut-St-Jacques (still too young)

Overall quality was very impressive; the depth of flavours and the power of these pinots was in a class of its own.

After the tasting, some little extras:
-2006 Camille Giroud Corton Clos du Roi Grand Cru (way too young, not that pleasant at the moment)
-1996 Roty Griotte-Chambertin Grand Cru (wow! very impressive)
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Last night with Gkapoor and a couple of big juicy rib-eye steaks:

2007 Tablas Creek Panoplie
2006 SQN Shot in the Dark

Both were huge wines and not something I could drink often, but great fun once and awhile with a big steak. I preferred the Tablas for its structure compared to the SQN, but both were really good. Should be interesting to see how these wines age.

Also started with a really nice 2000 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons with smoked salmon.

The Tablas Panoplie was the star of the night, much better balance when compared to the SQN which needs a few years to melo. The 2000 Les Chetillon is an excellent wine for the price.
quote:
Originally posted by Mezzo Litro:
At last night's TUS off-line:

1998 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame
1999 Joseph Phelps Insignia
2001 Serpico Feudi di San Gregorio
2001 Hosanna (I think this was the vintage)
2002 Beringer PR

To me, every wine was fantastic in its own right. The champagne was one of the best I've had in a while. The Insignia put on weight as the night went on and just got better and better. It was incredible. The Serpico was nothing like like what I expected. A wonderful wine from a great vintage. The Hosanna was a nice treat, although somebody mentioned they thought it was a little off. It was fine for me. And the Beringer (for me) had the best nose by far and a wonderful mouthful and taste. Sorry gents...but the Beringer was my WOTN, with the Insignia a close second.

Hi Mezz, what does TUS stand for?

It was 2001 Hosanna and it definitely had a musty funk that really didn't blow off as the night progressd. Disappointment in my mind
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
Yesterday night, a vertical tasting of some rare stuff:

Sounds like a fantastic evening, impulse.
Just curious; was this an importer tasting?

Actually, it was the former importer who organized it, all the wines from his private cellar. Dugat-Py is now represented by Maitre de Chai in Quebec.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.