Skip to main content

steve8 posted:

I just noticed that none of my co-conspirators posted what we drank last Saturday for a surprise dinner to celebrate a ...<cough>...milestone birthday for KSC02. Eight days later I'm not sure I can remember all of them either

2008 Christian Moreau, Chablis, Vaudesir

2007 JL Chave, Hermitage, Blanc

2014 Henri Prudhon, St-Aubin, Sur le Sentier du Clou, Blanc

2001 Frescobaldi, BdM, Castelgiocondo Ripe al Convento Riserva

2006 Casanova di Neri, BdM, Tenuta Nuova

1996 Chateau Montus, Madiran, Reserva

2000 Chateau Cos D'Estournal, St. Estephe

2004 Clos St. Jean, CdP, La Combe des Fous

I know I'm forgetting at least 2 bottles because there was a red Burg and a 1982 Bonnezeaux. Perhaps Mimik can fill in the details?

Should also mention that Purple Haze made the long, eventful trek up for this and it's always good to see him.

An epic evening.  Was good to see the Montreal gang after a few years.  I still retain the image of steve8, indolently slouched in his chair surrounded by bottles of almost empty wine, laughing at all the losers who were headed home before the wine was finished!  You sir, are a true animal.    Until next time!

PH

purplehaze posted:
steve8 posted:

I just noticed that none of my co-conspirators posted what we drank last Saturday for a surprise dinner to celebrate a ...<cough>...milestone birthday for KSC02. Eight days later I'm not sure I can remember all of them either

2008 Christian Moreau, Chablis, Vaudesir

2007 JL Chave, Hermitage, Blanc

2014 Henri Prudhon, St-Aubin, Sur le Sentier du Clou, Blanc

2001 Frescobaldi, BdM, Castelgiocondo Ripe al Convento Riserva

2006 Casanova di Neri, BdM, Tenuta Nuova

1996 Chateau Montus, Madiran, Reserva

2000 Chateau Cos D'Estournal, St. Estephe

2004 Clos St. Jean, CdP, La Combe des Fous

I know I'm forgetting at least 2 bottles because there was a red Burg and a 1982 Bonnezeaux. Perhaps Mimik can fill in the details?

Should also mention that Purple Haze made the long, eventful trek up for this and it's always good to see him.

An epic evening.  Was good to see the Montreal gang after a few years.  I still retain the image of steve8, indolently slouched in his chair surrounded by bottles of almost empty wine, laughing at all the losers who were headed home before the wine was finished!  You sir, are a true animal.    Until next time!

PH

PH, I meant to call you and see if K wanted you to bring his 2002 Dom Warhol label I still have in my cellar. I have had his bottle for many years now. Grrr. 

Sounds like a grand evening. 

purplehaze posted:

PH

Hey, I resemble that remark! KSC02 also commented on that yesterday at lunch. A lunch at which we drank the following

2007 William Fevre, Chablis, Bougros

2010 Pierre Jean Villa, Cote Rotie, Carmina

2015 Domaine Rossignol-Trapet, Savigny Les Beaunes, Les Bas Liards

wineart 2 posted:
PH, I meant to call you and see if K wanted you to bring his 2002 Dom Warhol label I still have in my cellar. I have had his bottle for many years now. Grrr. 

As it turns out, this would have been in inopportune time to have brought it.  I had a wee bit of an "adventure" at the border this crossing...  

PH

purplehaze posted:
wineart 2 posted:

As it turns out, this would have been in inopportune time to have brought it.  I had a wee bit of an "adventure" at the border this crossing...  

PH

Cavity search?

Actually, I got pretty lucky.  I did have to go to have my "declarations confirmed."

They actually "missed" 2 bottles and a couple of other minor items.  They did confiscate an old and cherished butterfly knife that has resided in my center console almost since I've been driving.  I'll miss it.  Otherwise, it certainly could have gone worse.  After a 10+ hour road trip, including some close to white-out conditions in the Adirondacks, I almost had to laugh that I'd gotten so close to my destination and then had to go through that mess.

PH

Over a few days with friends in Florida,

Perrier Jouet Grand Brut NV (At a marina restaurant in St. Pete's.  Menu listed it as Perrier Joust, lol)

2008 Saffredi - drinking well

Haton Extra Brut Rose Champagne NV - good with oysters, seafood

2014 Domaine Moutard Chablis Valmur - good with more oysters & shellfish salad, bayside at Oyster Catchers, Tampa Hyatt

1998 Urbina Riserva Especial - better than previous bottle back in T.O.  With decant and some time, opened up nicely.  Great with tapas at Ceviche, St. Pete's

2005 Fonroque, St. Emilion.  No surprise that it was a step up from the Urbina.  In a good spot, with long way to go.

At various venues around Lake Mary:

2017 Merry Edwards Russian River Pinot Noir

NV Veuve

2011 Henri Boillot Corton Charlemagne - singing

2006 Soldera Riserva, amazing, ethereal. Purity and freshness, balance.  Wow.

2015 Ballot Millot Meursault Genevrieres 1er, beautiful

2010 Poggio Scalette Piantonaia, young but drinking well

1978 Aldo Conterno Barolo Bricco Bussia Vigna Colonnello, surprisingly youthful. Opened up beautifully.  Wow.

2008 Luigi Oddero Barolo Vigna Rionda, Sooooo young following the 78 Colonnello, but beautiful purity of fruit, terroir.  Great wine with a LONG way to go.

With turkey dinner on Christmas Day:

• 2012 Larmandier-Bernier Terre De Vertus Blanc de Blancs Non Dose
  • 2014 Remelluri Bianco
  • 2002 Huet Vouvray Sec Le Haut-Lieu

And with turkey leftovers next day:

• 2013 Murrieta Capellania Reserva Blanco

I've never been much of a turkey fan, but I lose that argument every year and I'm the first one to recognise my limitations anywhere near a kitchen.  I just do the wine service at Christmas-time.

Last edited by otw

With two other couples comprising our best friends:

2013 Mordoree Tavel - holding on surprisingly well.

2013 CVNE Rioja Riserva

2004 Vieux Donjon CdP from magnum - showed really well in my preferred style. I’d say drink now. 

2010 Dry Creek Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon - after being open for a while, this got really nice and reminded me of a Bordeaux with nice fruit. 

A 2014 Sojourn Pinot but I can’t recall which bottling. It was excellent. They might be my favorite Cali Pinot producer.

NV Drappier Carte D’or. This showed really well with a biscuit/bread note that I love when it isn’t dominant.

Nye gathering with friends and KSC02 and vinaigre and significant others:

NV Montaudon brut réserve champagne

2008 Vina Gravonia rioja Lopez De Heredia

2013 Baumard Clos St-Yves Savennieres

2003 Pesquera reserva especially rioja from magnum 

2018 tu bu or not tu bu cotes de Roussillon 

2002 Clos des Goisses champagne( thank you KSC02)

NV Marc Hebrart bdb brut Champagne 

1982 Bonnezeaux coteaux du Layon 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.