Sorry folks. I don't have any formal tasting notes this time but I do have a few brief comments I'd like to share about each of the wines I tasted. Perhaps other members of the DAWGS can fill in some gaps.

A big THANK YOU to kybo for being our guest of honor this month. We appreciate you making the trek from Georgia partner. Cool

At our DAWGS July Ignoble White Tasting:

2004 Christian Sauvignon Blanc Barossa Handpicked Basket Pressed
A lovely little wine. Light, crisp and refreshing. Recommended.

1999 Borgo San Daniele Tocai Fruilano Italy
Yet another example of an Italian wine that craves food. Good with food, not without. My last bottle and I won't buy more.

2004 Curran Grenache Blanc Santa Ynez Valley
This was an eye opener. I really like this wine. As I was told this is a GREAT pairing for Asian food. Recommended!

2003 J Pinot Gris Russian River Valley
Solid wine but didn't offer anything to me that made me want to buy it. It didn't stand out in the crowd. I'm passing.

2000 Domaines Schlumberger Pinot Gris Alsace Les Princes Abbés
Still a good wine that seems to be drinking well right now. I just might pick up a couple more for immediate drinking.

2003 MacMurray Ranch Pinot Gris Russian River Valley
I didn't particularly care for this wine. Maybe it is a personal preference thing. I'm passing.

1999 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Alsace Hunawihr Clos Windsbuhl
This wine was quite interesting. I almost thought I was sipping an Alsatian Riesling for a moment. I'd buy it.

2002 Pride Viognier Sonoma County
Man was this weird. I've had this bottling several times and for some reason it just didn't taste "normal". Not a good showing.

2003 Domaine Paul Blanck “Blanck” Gewurtztraminer Alsace
This was an interesting little Gewurtz. I'd like to pick up one bottle to try by itself at a later date and re-evaluate at that time.

2000 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape White
Twice in less that a week for this wine. Still good. Recommended.

2002 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Qualitätswein Trocken Kremstal Kremser Freiheit
I haven't enjoyed the Nigl Gruner Veltliners for the most part but this one was drinking quite nicely this evening. Recommended for a retry.

2003 Londer Vineyards Gewurtztraminer Anderson Valley
Excellent nose that fell flat as a pancake when it hit the palate. Passing.

2004 Elk Cove Pinot Gris Willamette Valley
Nice wine. I don't know the price point but if low enough a good QPR candidate here.

2002 Charles Schleret Pinot Blanc Cuvee Reserve Alsace
Same as the Blanck above. This was an interesting little Pinot Blanc. I'd like to pick up one bottle to try by itself at a later date and re-evaluate at that time.

2001 Domaine Zind Humbrecht Zind/Zind-Humbrecht Vin de Table Français Zind
Not a bad little wine but not an good little wine either. Kind of in no mans land. I think I'd spend a few more bucks and upgrade to one of the other Z-H offerings.

1999 Louis Guntrum "Firewine" Scheurebe Kabinett
Sorry Bill but I couldn't drink this. I stuck this to my nose and smelled cat litter. That's all she wrote! Passing with a Big P.

2000 Kracher Welschriesling Trockenbeerenauslese Neusiedlersee Zwischen den Seen No. 10
Oh Lord, strike me down now. Nothing else to drink. Simply outstanding wine and candidate for wine of the year. Highly recommended!
Original Post
wiml/DAWGS;
It was my pleasure (as always) and certainly a unique and enjoyable setting for the tasting.
About the only thing I'd add is I believe some of the wines would have shown better had there been access to more 'chillers' for the whites - most were too warm to fully appreciate.

For instance,the '02 Nigl Gruner Veltliner was just OK when first opened; after 20 mins. in the ice bucket a totally different wine.

Some of my favs for the evening were the Elk Cove, the '99 Zind Humbrecht Pinot Gris, the '03 Domaine Paul Blanck Gewurtz, and the '00 Ch. de Beaucastel CdP. And of course, the Kracher was fantastic - thanks again, Mike.

As stated I'll be back in the Big D in a couple of weeks; looking forward to another sipper w/the DAWGS.
quote:
Originally posted by kybo:
wiml/DAWGS;
It was my pleasure (as always) and certainly a unique and enjoyable setting for the tasting.
About the only thing I'd add is I believe some of the wines would have shown better had there been access to more 'chillers' for the whites - most were too warm to fully appreciate.

Bob

Not arguing, just an observation. My wife would agree with you, but I think (and thought the other night)that the flavors of the wines were better as they warmed up. Sometimes when whites are over chilled all I get is "crisp", "clean", "tart", etc.

As always it was good to share wine with you! Cool

Geary
preferred;
Agree completely that there are certain temps where various white will hit their peak...and not all at the same temp.

I hate it when I buy a decent Chard in a restaurant and it's served ice-cold - and I rarely ask for a wine bucket for that reason. It just seemed to me that given the locale, the current temps/humidity levels, and the commute time that some of the wines slipped past that 'just right' temp.
quote:
Originally posted by kybo:
As stated I'll be back in the Big D in a couple of weeks; looking forward to another sipper w/the DAWGS.

Well, if by chance, we have an offline at my house already scheduled for Saturday, August 13th. Probably bad timing for you but it's our Annual Great Steak-out. I'll be charring some dead animals while everybody takes a dip in the pool and pounds down some steak wines. You're welcome as always. Cool

Add Reply

Likes (0)